Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Couple of decent hunts

Got out a couple of times this week. On Wednesday I hit a couple of local houses. The first one was a bust so I decided to knock on the house next door. It was a tiny yard but right in the middle of it I got a sweet, silvery signal that bounced between 46 and 48. It was more robust than a quarter sound so with fingers crossed, I popped the plug and out came this:

[attachment 262789 DSC02820-1.jpg]

1951-S Franklin! I had to quit after finding that so I'll finish the other half of the yard next week. For some reason, the ground usually leaves this black coating on silver. About the only thing I haven't tried is electrolysis to get it off. Since I don't have an electrolysis unit, I'll just leave it the way it is for now.

Yesterday I went out again. Got permission at the third house I knocked on (the other two weren't home). They said it had been hunted before but I was welcome to try. I spent 4 hours gridding the yard and came up with a dozen wheats, two silver, an oil advertising token, and two knives.

[attachment 262791 DSC02809-1.jpg]
[attachment 262794 DSC02822-1.jpg]
[attachment 262795 DSC02824-1.jpg]
[attachment 262793 DSC02812-1.jpg]

The barber is a better date and is in pretty decent shape. The token is a little larger than a half. The bowie is 9" long and the other knife is a piece of copper pipe that someone smashed together and shaped like a knife, probably for their kid to play with. HH!

Congrats on the Silver!! Franklin Halves are getting scarce, I haven't found one in years.
The tokens are cool too. Happy hunting.

Great finds! I found that same oil token a yr ago at an old school. You can remove black off of slver coins by using a regular pencil eraser, never do this on a key date, but with common date silvers, use an eraser and just spot erase where u want to remove the black

I love both dimes! Very nice digs. Looks like you found a back-up digging tool too. :biggrin:

Nice finds Jason. Thanks for the pictures. The only places I've had silver coming out like that were in an area with near constant moisture and/or under cedar trees ( suppose pine would be about the same). For some reason yours looks more like mine from under some trees.

Take care,

NebTrac

Thanks guys. It's nice to actually find some good stuff after going several hunts not finding much.

Thanks for the eraser trick. I'll have to give it a shot.

There's a park fairly close that I've pulled a few silvers from and they come out completely black, even when I find them out in the middle of the open field. We do have really hard water here so I wonder if that could have something to do with it. The half came from a treeless yard (but there could have been one 50 years ago). I go to the next town over and silver comes out like those dimes. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Very nice finds !