Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Couple of questions for you Nox users

Tommy Boy

I am looking for a high-end detector for hunting old home sites in small towns and maybe some old civil war sites, in wide open fields. I am in NW Arkansas and the soil here is not to highly mineralized, it can be hard as a steel plate, when you get down about 8'

I have never used an Equinox detector, but I have a lot of experience with the Explorers and E-Trac. I am 66 and the lite weight of the Nox is real appealing.

I do have a couple of questions, can you carry your cell phone with you while hunting with the Nox, and can you go on hunts with your friends and not worry about interference, because your detectors are too close to each other.

Last question, what makes the 900 better than the 800, performance wise.

I carry my cell phone but place it on airplane mode while hunting.
I never owned a 900 but from what I’m hearing is there is a bit better separation over the 800. Maybe others that have own both (800 and 900) can give a more detail on performance difference. However you can’t go wrong with either one. Both a super detectors that will find treasure!
In addition, (knowing you are coming from explorers and ETrac) you’ll learn either equinox rather quickly.

I carry my phone in my left front pocket or in a holster on my left and swing my Nox 800 on my right side with no problems. The phone is not in airplane mode. I've tried it with the phone turned on and phone turned off. No difference for me. Your results may differ.
I'd say you'll probably happy with any of the Equinox detectors. They do it all and do it well.

I am leaning towards the Nox 900, because I was in Bass Pro Shop last week and noticed they had 2 X-Terra Pro's, so I bought one, for $269, I thought why not.
The X-terra pro is powerful unit without all the bells and whistles. Don’t let that price fool you.

Yeah, I have watched a lot of videos on it, it looks really good. I'm wondering how it does in areas with rusty nails

The X-terra pro is powerful unit BUT ... You can not buy the ML 85 HP .. You can not buy the VX coils .. So you are stuck with wired HP or do a module that is in MONO mode one ear .. you can buy the Coiltek 5x10 and that is almost the cost of the XT Pro ...

Well, I bought an XTP for my wife. We've had it for about a week now on a Gulf of Mexico beach in SW FL. We're using wired headphones right now, but I have the Creative / Soundblaster JAM V2 stereo Bluetooth headphones ($35) and 1Mii stereo Bluetooth transmitter with 1/8” plug ($30) coming tomorrow. She's going wireless for $65. Who needs the $$$ ML85's. I'm using my Nox 800. I have to say both machines are running neck and neck on finds on the wet & dry sand so far. The XTP can use my waterproof headphones as well.
I'm sure the XTP will be a great machine when we get back home in a month.

That X-Terra is a high end detector at a entry level price. It might be all you need. I have had zero issues with cell phone interference while using my nox. It's very stable around other detectors too.

That is what I was hoping to hear, one thing that I like about Minelab, is I called their Service Department to ask if they still worked on E-Trac's, and they were very helpful, answered all of my questions. Nice to know that you can talk to a human on the phone.

That X-Terra is a high end detector at a entry level price. It might be all you need. I have had zero issues with cell phone interference while using my nox. It's very stable around other detectors too.
I think PDH kinda said it right..! It's a good detector at an Entry Level Price. Pumping out $700.00 to $900.00 for a "Better Detector" when your a Novice / Beginner is serious money for the average blue collar worker. As far as your Cell Phone goes.... Just turn the Damn thing off like I do..! You can turn it on and off at your discretion to take pictures or make a phone call,... And enjoy your day. "Just Food for thought"

Last edited:
I am looking for a high-end detector for hunting old home sites in small towns and maybe some old civil war sites, in wide open fields. I am in NW Arkansas and the soil here is not to highly mineralized, it can be hard as a steel plate, when you get down about 8'

I have never used an Equinox detector, but I have a lot of experience with the Explorers and E-Trac. I am 66 and the lite weight of the Nox is real appealing.

I do have a couple of questions, can you carry your cell phone with you while hunting with the Nox, and can you go on hunts with your friends and not worry about interference, because your detectors are too close to each other.

I've owned both and the 900 build quality is better coil ears shaft and it separates better on spots I've hit hard and gone back to with the 900
and found quite a bit more coins after 3 guys all with equinoxes hit it I was impressed.
The 800 is no slouch but suffers from some build issues but that said you can get a like new one a lot cheaper probably with a carbon shaft. and I never have my phone on I carry it turned off
as I don't like to dose myself with radiation turn on to take photo.
Mark

From what ive seen, I would just save money an get the new Exterra pro. but do what makes you happy. I do if I can afford it.

LessThe X-terra pro is powerful unit BUT ... You can not buy the ML 85 HP .. You can not buy the VX coils .. So you are stuck with wired HP or do a module that is in MONO mode one ear .. you can buy the Coiltek 5x10 and that is almost the cost of the XT Pro ...
Pretty sure all equinox coils fit it and equinox wireless headphones

Well, I bought an XTP for my wife. We've had it for about a week now on a Gulf of Mexico beach in SW FL. We're using wired headphones right now, but I have the Creative / Soundblaster JAM V2 stereo Bluetooth headphones ($35) and 1Mii stereo Bluetooth transmitter with 1/8” plug ($30) coming tomorrow. She's going wireless for $65. Who needs the $$$ ML85's. I'm using my Nox 800. I have to say both machines are running neck and neck on finds on the wet & dry sand so far. The XTP can use my waterproof headphones as well.
I'm sure the XTP will be a great machine when we get back home in a month.
Does this wireless setup have any lag. Ive read where Bluetooth units sometimes have a lag.

Does this wireless setup have any lag. Ive read where Bluetooth units sometimes have a lag.
Both the headphones and the transmitter are Bluetooth 5.0 for one and I think 5.2 for the other. They're both Bluetooth APTX LL (low latency). I don't detect any latency and am happy with the setup. It will be better when I get a longer cable to run from the transmitter to the control pod so I can mount the transmitter under the cuff where it's out of the way. The 6” cable is too short to Velcro the transmitter to the detector.

Here's a good re43commendation, look for a good used Nox 600, it's all you'll need unless you plan on small nugget hunting. You don't have to turn the cell phone off or worry about other detectors. When you get interference just noise cancel and it should pick a clear frequency for you to detect. If you want a better detector use your finds from the 600 to buy it, if you don't like the high end detectors you didn't put to much money out. There is a lot of Nox's for sale now because of all the newer models out there. I own the Nox 600 as a back up and the Manticore. I had the *00 but Sold it when I bought the Manticore. Both the Nox's have more than paid for themselves. The Manticore has all ready paid for half itself.