Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX Challenge To The Equinox

laplander said:
I am in southern WI...FYI

Southern Wisconsin? That's like waaaaaaaay back East. Did I hear Road Trip?

Monte has get-togethers with detectorists out West. Usually an old ghost town, mining town or such. Calls them WTHO's; Welcome to Hunt Outings. IDX, you should find an interesting venue and send out an open invite to CTX and Equinox users. Call it the Showdown Weekend. :clapping:

Rich (Utah)

The CT-NOX showdown
Southern Wisconsin :wacko:
You could do it this weekend and call it SNOW down Weekend :clapping:

:lol: You ain’t kidding. It sucks right now,locked up solid!

Rich (Utah) said:
I am in southern WI...FYI

Southern Wisconsin? That's like waaaaaaaay back East. Did I hear Road Trip?

Monte has get-togethers with detectorists out West. Usually an old ghost town, mining town or such. Calls them WTHO's; Welcome to Hunt Outings. IDX, you should find an interesting venue and send out an open invite to CTX and Equinox users. Call it the Showdown Weekend. :clapping:

Rich (Utah)

It’s going to be very interesting how the new tech behaves in all venues! The BEST thing that could possibly happen,IMHO,is that Multi IQ is COMPLIMENTARY to FBS and FBS2. Yes,we’re just speaking Minelab here obviously,but in MY world,that would be the best outcome. Will it be that way? I absolutely think so. The Equinox will do things better than the other and vice versa. I plan on using the Equinox to tap into that yet unexplored (by me) world of GOLD items, and the CTX and Explorer2 can have most everything else,for now.
But...I do want to see how it performs on SILVER,hence this thread. If we (whoever made it to this tentative event) were able to orchestrate the day in a productive and fact finding way,then having more people would give us more data. The only place that I KNOW for sure that we could do something like this and not risk getting kicked out is in Milwaukee. Since both machines in question are waterproof,it could be a “rain or shine” event,which it would HAVE to be in order to line it up quite a bit in advance.
As spring approaches it’ll all come together. But the “one on one” offer still stands when it gets warmer around here...

IDXMonster said:
It’s going to be very interesting how the new tech behaves in all venues! The BEST thing that could possibly happen,IMHO,is that Multi IQ is COMPLIMENTARY to FBS and FBS2. Yes,we’re just speaking Minelab here obviously,but in MY world,that would be the best outcome. Will it be that way? I absolutely think so. The Equinox will do things better than the other and vice versa. I plan on using the Equinox to tap into that yet unexplored (by me) world of GOLD items, and the CTX and Explorer2 can have most everything else,for now.
But...I do want to see how it performs on SILVER,hence this thread. If we (whoever made it to this tentative event) were able to orchestrate the day in a productive and fact finding way,then having more people would give us more data. The only place that I KNOW for sure that we could do something like this and not risk getting kicked out is in Milwaukee. Since both machines in question are waterproof,it could be a “rain or shine” event,which it would HAVE to be in order to line it up quite a bit in advance.
As spring approaches it’ll all come together. But the “one on one” offer still stands when it gets warmer around here...

IDX,

I'm expecting complimentary as well. The fly weight equinox will join the work ranks with my etrac and racer 2. I am interested to see how it handles the places I frequent and if it has a hound dogs' nose for snooping out those hard to find coins and jewelry items previous masked by rusty iron, trash and who knows what else.

There are places for my etrac and places for my racer 2. I am thinking the equinox is going to fit in nicely between the two. We'll see. What's today? Jan 12th. Wow, the month is speeding by . . . . . .

Rich (Utah)

tiftaaft said:
I'll come visit you Kevin. We will have a lot of fun hunting and comparing. I'm not sure which macine will be better, but I will be swinging the E800. You have the advantage in experience and local knowledge, but I have never been able to turn away from a challenge. $50 won't quite cover the airfare, so why don't we just make the wager $1, which is as arbitrary as $50. My $1 bill will look good pinned to your wall.
Seriously... I'm in. Tim

I would like nothing better! We will coordinate as the spring approaches,and I will have vacation time to take to make it as productive as possible if and when you make it. I’m hoping the Equinox will be SO different that it’s the perfect companion machine to any other,especially FBS/2! Talk about a 1-2 punch!
I’ve got places to hunt,that’s not a problem. But we will be waiting til it thaws out around here....:)
That’s one hell of an offer to travel Tim. I’ll do my best to make it a memorable adventure for the both of us should we have the good fortune!

Kevin

Chris(SoCenWI) said:
Hopefully THIS year we'll get together for detecting.

Yes! But you’re going to have to remove your battery...:) We also have a fellow in the Racine area that could use a hand with “things” so when I get ready to head that way I’ll give you a heads up. Hopefully the timing will work. If not,we’ll make plans on a different day. Whenever we get together I will look forward to it!

Sounds like this is a good idea and sounds like fun too, wish I could make it or come up with something similar here in ND and will check with our club and see if they would like to do something such as this for the fun.
I would find a area where there is some trashy area that can have good finds in it and send different people out to detect and dont dig any, but mark these spots with something so everyone can check these out to see what they think it can be after, good or bad and if they think it is mask by something. Now the ones doing the detecting or anyone has a number to put on the marker. Now after while everyone will go over each of these markers and mark down what they think as far as good or bad and possibly what it is. Now when this is done as everyone will be checking the targets so everyone will not be in the same spot at once so there shouldn't be any interference. Now this is then marked on the person sheet what they think, then dig after all have checked them and see which one could get the most correct. The ones with the Equinox or any other Minelab or any detector that shows up to hunt can see which one could see the target and tell which one is good or bad, so some of the markers will have no target under them and see how many get a signal from a target that is not there. The only problems is those with the Equinox will not have used them and understand them like those that have used their detectors for years.
I have a Equinox 800 coming, but would love to use my Sovereign GT in a hunt such as this just to see what I can get others cant or what they can and I cant.
Interesting if this hunt could be set up and it would be fun.

Rick

I tried cross testing my XS vs F-75 vs CTX. You either have to shut the other two units down or move a good distance away from the target to avoid interference. It quickly becomes a bit of a slog.

Chris

Chris(SoCenWI) said:
I tried cross testing my XS vs F-75 vs CTX. You either have to shut the other two units down or move a good distance away from the target to avoid interference. It quickly becomes a bit of a slog.

Chris

Oh yeah, its going to be work doing it solo. Definitely not a pleasure hunt.

Hi all, I'm a ol stick in the mud. This all sounds fun, but I can tell you, in the right hands the CTX will win every time! Good luck to all with your new Equinox and above all have fun!
JMHO.

Carolina

\"Carolina\" said:
Hi all, I'm a ol stick in the mud. This all sounds fun, but I can tell you, in the right hands the CTX will win every time! Good luck to all with your new Equinox and above all have fun!
JMHO.

Carolina

Mighty big talk considering there is zero to back it up. Yes, the CTX is an awesome detector, but we cant yet say how it compares to the platypus

Jason it seems you have fallen for the hype!!! Good luck to you and it's just common sense.

You cant compare anything until they both exist. I think that is Jason's drift.

Champ Ferguson said:
You cant compare anything until they both exist. I think that is Jason's drift.

And that’s why I put the “challenge” out there for people who want to test one against the other in real world conditions when they arrive. Having one guy out there walking around and just lucking upon stuff doesn’t tell me much,other than it’s possible they just did get lucky. Comparing signals will tell us if one CAN see what the other does,or if it’s better or worse in a certain aspect. Initially finding the target will require the new Equinox operator to be a very good detectorist already,the “comparing part” won’t really require years of experience.
To Carolinas point...I have personally been conditioned over my life to believe that the more you spend,the more you get. Expensive detector=better performance. This has been true with the CTX! The only thing tripping me up here is the new technology....we all have to wait and see how it performs for the guys who are on the list for the first batch. And I want some of those guys to come on over and SHOW ME!:)

IDX, I love your idea. I hope many folks with many different models take up your challenge.

I think the Equinox has existed for quite some time. I think it has been out in the field tested for quite some time. I think that it will never surpass the CTX performance in salt water. I think, that if it could, we would have had a flood of video's like what you are looking for. There is a reason they don't exist I think. Again and I will spell it out this time, this is just my humble opinion. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I do have a right to express my opinion. Maybe it will be a good coin machine for the dirt, but it will never out preform the CTX.
We shall all see before to much longer.

Carolina

All I know is I'm headed to sites that have been Ctx'd to death and haven't produced anything for a few hunts and have been worked by me extra hard in the past to see what is hiding in the trash and iron and thats going to be my experiment to see what the machine is all about its the same thing I did when I got my Ctx,it will definitely answer my question of what the Ctx, E trac and i missed due to any given factor or ground condition and if it was worth getting..and then if it proves it's worth I'll keep it and I will use it to finish off a site after using my Ctx first.I know spots that have extremely dense low co targets bad ground and iron that I know for a fact something has to be lurking beneath or close all those tabs,nails and slaw with the crazy amount of silver taken from those spots.im also hoping I can weasel it to defeat some high emi spots with the selectable frequencies to root out some stragglers. I didn't get this machine to replace my Ctx for sure but got it just to complement it on making sure my cleanouts are effective and as thorough as today's tech allows.. not to mention this thing will be stored in my truck for spots of opportunity while I'm out and about hh

pghmole said:
All I know is I'm headed to sites that have been Ctx'd to death and haven't produced anything for a few hunts and have been worked by me extra hard in the past to see what is hiding in the trash and iron and thats going to be my experiment to see what the machine is all about its the same thing I did when I got my Ctx,it will definitely answer my question of what the Ctx, E trac and i missed due to any given factor or ground condition and if it was worth getting..and then if it proves it's worth I'll keep it and I will use it to finish off a site after using my Ctx first.I know spots that have extremely dense low co targets bad ground and iron that I know for a fact something has to be lurking beneath or close all those tabs,nails and slaw with the crazy amount of silver taken from those spots.im also hoping I can weasel it to defeat some high emi spots with the selectable frequencies to root out some stragglers. I didn't get this machine to replace my Ctx for sure but got it just to complement it on making sure my cleanouts are effective and as thorough as today's tech allows.. not to mention this thing will be stored in my truck for spots of opportunity while I'm out and about hh

You got it right man,that’s what I’m thinking! As fhoroughly as today’s tech allows!

Pretty much what I do with my Deus after running my CTX over an area. It works.

I agree you never get it all. Time after time, year after year. There are so many variables that exist. Freeze and thaw, search directions, speed, coil size etc. I wish all very good luck with their new Equinox and look forward to the reports.