Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX volume too high

bklein

I am aware that the CTX has two settings that affect volume - Gain and Level. I am finding that if I run earbuds on the WM10 the volume is too high if I have the Gain rather high. I think it is saturating the earbuds in fact for some frequencies. I can set the Level to one and it is still an issue. Why can’t the Level setting drop it down further - to 0 if I want? I don’t always want Gain higher but lately targets have been sparse and deep and it makes a difference.

Impedance of the earbuds is likely the issue. Do you know what the ohm rating is on them?

Not without some research. Tried two different models. Piezo headphones same deal. Lots of complaints they are not loud enough but maybe that is underwater and/or direct connection and no WM10?
Can you set volume level to one and it’s quiet?

I just tested 2 different sets of ear buds using the WM10...Skull Candy and Apple. Both results the same...Gain at 30. Volume setting of 1 is barely audible,13 and up is weird and overdriven. They come into their own around 4-10,depending on how loud you want it. Does the Volume Level control do ANYTHING? Is it the Threshold hum that you’re hearing as too loud?

Yeah earbuds and piezos weird is right.
No, threshold is secondary and has its own level if I remember right.

That’s correct,Threshold has its own volume control. I think this is why the high ohm rating on phones meant for doing this...they can hold the audio definition together without getting garbled and distorted all through the volume range.

I just discovered that with the WM-10, the volume level does not actually change after setting unless you move the coil over a target.
Also if you set it but then enable pinpoint you lose the new setting. You have to go to a detect screen to have it take.
Lastly, if you set the Volume Limit to 5 you can't hear the pinpoint at all. With earbuds, setting the VL to 5 is a possibility.

Interesting, thanks I really never thought about how really important the mix that gain and volume are. Could be missing deep whispers.