Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx3030 question

Just noticed several things one of which was hearing good signals, even seeing good red, round sceen targets, and on the 12 line - silver area, dig and find crushed alum can. Can anyone explain this please?
thanks

Welcome to the wonderfull world of metal detecting aluminum cans will sound good and produce a good signal next time you get a signal you think may be a can raise your coil if it still sounds good and your off the ground pritty high its probably a can also it will pinpoint bigger then a coin

Good answers. You might also try setting your pin-point to sizing. Cans do sound good at times especially when someone takes the time to stomp them flat. HH :minelab:

Dig it anyways to remove it.

You may be surprised and find another signal that was masked for years with a good target just waiting to be plucked.

Done that more than once.

Yes as others say it happens. When you get that solid red circle it always makes us think that it is a coin but....not necessarily so generally means that it is a "roundish" target, can be a dime...or a screw top or even a can that is sorta squashed roundish. Just have to dig them to get information on what kind of site you are on. At an old house or field...dig every high tone maybe in a park you learn to pass on such signals after you get more experienced.

What everyone else said is correct... Not sure where you are hunting but the last guy that I heard say "Oh it is probably just another stinking beer can" dug a pocket full of Colonial coins...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2088238

I would just caution about using pinpoint to attempt to figure out the size of the target. It will obviously work well to tell you if you are hovering over a big old galvanized pot, but using pinpoint to determine if it is a coin or a beer can may be risky depending on depth factors.

I prefer the Can Test which like someone else mentioned is raising the coil about a foot or so over the ground and seeing if the signal is still really strong or non existent. If it still comes through loud and clear you may be able to pass it by without much worry, if it disappears it may be a deep can or a really deep coin.

thanks,
and to clarify. these cans were smashed flat and roundish shaped. I will try to like the detector head up a foot and see what it does next time.

again thanks!

Frequently squished flat, sometimes not, it isn't an exact thing..

Nothing says "fun" like a 12-47 reading at 7" depth and digging down 12" to find a flattened aluminum can. The question you have to ask yourself is: Do I want to pass up a 12-46/47 reading just because it might be another aluminum can?

You've got it Ag!