Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Day 2 of 2012, and I positively stomped day 1.

hodr

A couple of days ago I finally made it out for the first time this year. Despite visiting a well worked over park, I did fairly good and pulled in several silver coins ( 1st day post ). Today I went back to that same park and spent another 3 hours trying to find the deep signals with Hi-Pro and my DD.

The very first signal I dug turned out to be part of a necklace and a cross pendant. Gold plated silver. From there it was a gold plated copper cufflink, a silver plated copper ring, and 3 war nickels. Feeling that this area was getting pretty dry, I meandered around the far reaches of the park until I hit a wheat cent, signaling the presence of some more old coins. 10 minutes later I hit my first silver half dollar, a 1941 liberty. I spent another 20 minutes finding almost nothing, then right next to each other I find a fairly interesting pin that I believe is pretty old (wish I knew what it was exactly) and not 8 inches away I dig my first ever half-cent. I was rubbing it far too hard with my gloves thinking it was a dead-brown quarter before I realized what I was doing. In the right light you can see that it is either 1800 or 1808.

Anyways, at this rate I will need to dig up some gold bars on my 3rd trip to keep up with the rising expectations ;)

Day-2.jpg

Pin.jpg

HalfDollar-1.jpg

HalfDollar-2.jpg

HalfCent1.jpg

HalfCent2.jpg

EDIT---

Guess I should add that I am horrible at cleaning old copper coins. I think I may just not touch this one at all. And my war nickels always seem to have dirt that is glues on them and will not come off without some abrading. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A fantastic day.

The pin looks like a Service Star Pin. With three stars would mean three imediate family members are in the Armed Services of the United States. Just look up service stars on the web. This was enacted by Congress since WWI.

The large cent is toast, anything you try to clean it with will make it lose detail. You had an awesome day and I wouldnt sweat it.

Great finds! What park did you say that was again...:devil:

So, I can't be 100% on the date (especially since it is harder to see now than originally). When I first looked at it I was pretty sure it either said 1800 or 1808. The back side of the coin is very clear when wet and looks exactly like that pictures in the 1800-1808 Draped Bust half cents.

I did a quick search on 1799 half cents and found no results, are you sure they were ever minted (or is that the point, seeing if I have a one of a kind ) ;)

To clean your war nickels use baking soda. Make a paste and rub your coins in them. Want hurt a thing and they will come out looking better.

You can protect old copper coins from further corrosion by dropping them in hot wax.Heat up some candle wax in a suitable metal container......when it starts to smoke(important) drop in the copper coin.You will then see the coin start to fizz in the wax...when it stops fizzing take the wax off the heat and remove the coin with something suitable.Put the coin on some kitchen roll and dab off the excess wax.The surface of the coin will now be sealed by the wax and it will also(in most cases) show some more detail.It is important not to leave the wax on longer than necessary or it can ignite......just till it STARTS to smoke.Don't do it in the kitchen either because the war department(also known as the wife) won't thank you for it.:thumbup: