Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Decorating the tree......

Lil Brother

While Christmas is only a few weeks away, I remembered a story yesterday and decided to write this one down before I forgot it.

The time was in the late 80's or early 90's and the place was at my Mother's house. Linda lived in the old homeplace and next to her was my Mother's mobile home. My brother and I had both seemed to fall a bit on hard times and were both living with Mom. John was going through a hard divorce from his first wife and was trying to keep his job in Pine Bluff, Arkansas some fifty miles away. He would get up very early in the morning to work his part time job at UPS while I had a part time job waiting tables at the local VFW club on weekends.

John and I were both pretty down on our luck at the time, but he managed to put his oldest daughter through college with his job. I was just trying to survive the times. I had gotten my butt in a crack and didn't have a car. As a matter of fact, I didn't even have a drivers liscense. For whatever reason, we were both there and Mother was taking care of us. Another story another time....

We both had a lot of time on our hands due to our employment status so we decided to fish while we could. That's just what we did too friends and it all started one night when I borrowed John's ten speed bicycle, strapped my rod and reel to itand peddled off to Lake Pauline a few blocks away. I hadn't fished there since I was a kid, but I knew where to go. I parked the bicycle on the dam and walked along casting a "june-bug" plastic worm. That night I came in after 12 am and awoke John with an excitment in my voice. I had on the stringer a largemouth bass that weighed in the neighborhood of 5 pounds. I put him in the ice chest and waited til in the morning to clean him.

The next morning I cleaned the fish and put all the guts, fins, head into a plastic garbage bag. I didn't dare throw it in the trash because I knew it would stink to the high heavens in no time flat. Well, I thought that since the Fullingtons had give my brother a hard time when he ALLEDGEDLEY shot their dog years ago; I would just tie this garbage bag to one of their trees across the fence in the middle of their pasture. I didn't realize it at the time, but this set the presadence for months to come.

I fished every waking moment just to escape my miserable little life that I was living. Most of the time I went with John whenever and wherever we could, but if not it was back to good old Lake Pauline. We put guts in clear plastic gallon size baggies and referred to the tree we put them in as the "fish tree". Even Mother and Linda even became sort of fond of it:lol: Well, maybe not fond of it, but everyone knew that we were on a mission to finish decorating that old
ironwood tree. I wish we had taken a picture of it. It was beautiful! John and I always kidded about it saying to ourselves that if we were still half as mean as we were when we were boys, that we would throw it in someone's car after a few weeks. We were only kidding, but don't cha know a person could never get that smell out if we did.

Eventually John and I did get ourselves together and moved out, but it was sure fun while it lasted! At one time there as probably at least 50 different baggies hanging from that tree. Those were the good old days folks and if I ever blow the dust off of my bass boat and start going again, I may just start my OWN fish tree across the fence on Mr. Cathcarts land!:devil: Thanks for coming and sorry so long and if you need help decorating YOUR tree, just ask.

Lil Brother:)

Such a funny tale. It reminded me of one bit of mischief that I got into way back in the 60s. It involved the local constabulary and Eddie Walda and myself. :)

Hmm... 'nother story coming on.

thank you buddy

calm seas

M

You story is really funny, very original trick to play on someone. The closest that I came to doing something similar was when we put a dead carp fish in a neighbors mail box when they were on vacation. Thanks for posting this funny story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

backs are heck! I am about ready to let you come decorate one of mine. Right now, I am getting sick of them, and still have four more to go. This may be the last year! :)

PS But mine do not stink like your and Johnboy's did! :rofl:

...right on brother, it was a tough time for all of us, but we always make the best of the situation we are in.

Imagine that ole' Ironwood tree with two dozen or so baggies of fish intrels hangin' all OVER it!!! Why, we had to start holdin' our breaths as soon as we got SIGHT of the silly thing!

It was a real ritual. After Tom caught that first big bass, we got to goin' to all the places we once fished as kids, applying the "newest and best" lures. I must say that we slayed 'em. Each week for MANY months we put a bag or two of "goodies" on Fullington's infamous FISH TREE.

I was just thinkin'...if LINDA ever did something like that, and scaled hers to the size of her fish, she'd have a beautiful fish BUSH. :lol:

That was a GOOD story, brother. Mother, Linda and the two of us got a LOT of kicks outta that thang. It lightened our load considerably, during those tough times. Thanks for sharing! <><

Johnboy

and still is, that took fish and put them in the hubcaps of a teachers car. It was hot weather and it took mister Megan a week to figure it out. The slime running down the tires gave it away.

Them there things STANK!!!:laugh:

have I begged you two to go fishing, and the only thing YOU want to do is hunt because you know I don't and I out fish the both of you, hands down!! Want some minnows brother?????? :rofl:

n/t

n/t

don't let your Alligator mouth, overload your tadpole a$$:super: