Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep nickel VDI numbers

Dan(NM)

I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go after nickels because my time is limited. I'm going to notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox the hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are being found, thanks.

I have found that my nox 800 has a pretty solid ID at depth, I don't usually dig nickels either but the high conductors read true for me in my dirt. The park I hunt in is insanely trashy, 150 years of junk masking the old coins.

I've not dug any nickels past 7", but 12/13 I d was good at that depth. I've had a couple pretty good nickel finding machines, Cz3d and F 75, and the Nox I d's far more solid. HH jim tn

My 10 1/2 to 11" nickel comes In at 11 to 14. But 13 is the number I see most.
This is in Park 1.
My dime at the same depth bounces between 25 to 35, low 30s most of the time.
This is in Park 1, in Park 2 the numbers come in much lower, even single digits.
This is in my test garden.

Honestly, the Nox sucks when it comes to nickels. 12 to 13 are the best reading: if the vdi drops to 11, I'll usually pass. Same with 14, but have gotten them anywhere between 11 and 14. 12/13 are the best numbers, but be prepared to dig lots of trash.

Swinging the Nox, I usually just skip them altogether, unless in an area where I might find jewelry.

However 3 weeks ago I found a 1894 V at 10". Faint. One way signal. Rang 10-12. Only dug it as I thought it might be an old button.

I have to agree with jkline...the EQX is not the best choice of machines, if you are trying to cherry-pick deep nickels. Way too many other targets ID exactly in the nickel range on the EQX; they are MUCH easier to cherry-pick at depth with FBS. On an Explorer, with stock Pro coil, I could cherry-pick deep nickels with a good bit of accuracy. NOT so, on the EQX. WAY too much trash IDs the same as a deep nickel.

That said, Dan, I would be willing to open a notch up to 11, and if it's deep, dig it. A shallow 11 is usually a beaver tail or .22 casing, but deeper/old nickels can throw off 11s in with the 12s and a few 13s at depth. The other reason to open up your notch to 11? One-dollar gold coins! ;)

Steve

12-13 also. Beach is always a 13. I disagree with Jkline- I think it IS a nickel machine!

Those that notch out 10 and 11 you are going to miss out. 10-13 is a must if you are after all the types of nickels. I respectfully disagree with Jkline as well. The equinox kills nickels.

I bought my Equinox 800 a month ago. On its first trip out I had a very small issue with vdi 13. I'm in the process of going back over a small grid I'm working because when I first started with the Nox 800 I done my own research but I also read a lot that nickels ring in 10 to 13 and some said solid 13 was a sure nickel. But I believe what had my machine a little off was Version 3. So i done the factory reset/roll back/factory reset /update. now my vdi numbers are so much more stable. I love digging nickels

I have owned my Equinox since late 2019 and last year I found out just how good it is on nickels by accident.
I was hunting at an old school with a friend of mine who was using a 600 (I have the 800),
We had hunted here quite a bit last spring due the the schools being closed all year and found quite a few silver coins, and a lot of clad and even a few nice rings.
One day while we were there, my buddy stated he had found about 8 nickels. Up until then I had dug some nickels, but really did not focus on them.
During the remainder of the hunt, I started focusing on finding nickels since the high tones were getting scarce and in a short time I found about 6 which surprised me due to the amount of trash there.
Since that day I have found a pile of nickels.. in fact more than I have ever found before including 40 in one day at a school yard.
I have read a few posts about this subject and I disagree with those that say the Equinox is weak on nickels. Coming from the Sovereign GT which was very good on Nickels, I feel the Equinox is just about as good.. at least from my experience.
I found 423 last year alone... anyone else find more than that with other machines?
Now, about this original post.... personally I think notching 10,11, and 14 out is a big mistake.
I have had nickels read anywhere within these numbers, but but mostly 12-13 like others state.
I have seen 14 flash for an instant, but have not found any nickels that read 14. still I use it as a reference on iffy signals.
I have had nickels lock on at 12, 13, 12-13, and seen others flash numbers out side of this group, so having those other notches in gives me more information.
I have also seen the readings vary from site to site, which is another reason I do not notch those lower numbers.
Now I am also using 50 tones, which I know is controversial, but I find it gives me more information not only when looking for nickels, but other items also.
As far as depth ID accuracy, from what few deep nickels I have found, they seem to Id pretty good.. but I still would not recommend to notch out lower segments.
Another thing no one has mentioned.. war nickels, I have found those that read like a standard Jefferson nickel, while others have read 14 (you'll leave this one if you notch), 18, and as high as 22 on my Equinox.
The key to finding nickels and not so much trash is to slow down, do not notch out lower numbers, and listen.. do not totally rely on the TID.. another reason I use 50 tones.

I bought my Equinox 800 a month ago. On its first trip out I had a very small issue with vdi 13. I'm in the process of going back over a small grid I'm working because when I first started with the Nox 800 I done my own research but I also read a lot that nickels ring in 10 to 13 and some said solid 13 was a sure nickel. But I believe what had my machine a little off was Version 3. So i done the factory reset/roll back/factory reset /update. now my vdi numbers are so much more stable. I love digging nickels
Funny you should mention this, I too updated to version 3, but not long after reverted back to the previous version, but for other reasons than you stated.
I did this after comparing notes with another forum member that noticed the same thing as me after updating... he also reverted back to the previous version and it still running as far as I know.. I am too.

I have owned my Equinox since late 2019 and last year I found out just how good it is on nickels by accident.
I was hunting at an old school with a friend of mine who was using a 600 (I have the 800),
We had hunted here quite a bit last spring due the the schools being closed all year and found quite a few silver coins, and a lot of clad and even a few nice rings.
One day while we were there, my buddy stated he had found about 8 nickels. Up until then I had dug some nickels, but really did not focus on them.
During the remainder of the hunt, I started focusing on finding nickels since the high tones were getting scarce and in a short time I found about 6 which surprised me due to the amount of trash there.
Since that day I have found a pile of nickels.. in fact more than I have ever found before including 40 in one day at a school yard.
I have read a few posts about this subject and I disagree with those that say the Equinox is weak on nickels. Coming from the Sovereign GT which was very good on Nickels, I feel the Equinox is just about as good.. at least from my experience.
I found 423 last year alone... anyone else find more than that with other machines?
Now, about this original post.... personally I think notching 10,11, and 14 out is a big mistake.
I have had nickels read anywhere within these numbers, but but mostly 12-13 like others state.
I have seen 14 flash for an instant, but have not found any nickels that read 14. still I use it as a reference on iffy signals.
I have had nickels lock on at 12, 13, 12-13, and seen others flash numbers out side of this group, so having those other notches in gives me more information.
I have also seen the readings vary from site to site, which is another reason I do not notch those lower numbers.
Now I am also using 50 tones, which I know is controversial, but I find it gives me more information not only when looking for nickels, but other items also.
As far as depth ID accuracy, from what few deep nickels I have found, they seem to Id pretty good.. but I still would not recommend to notch out lower segments.
Another thing no one has mentioned.. war nickels, I have found those that read like a standard Jefferson nickel, while others have read 14 (you'll leave this one if you notch), 18, and as high as 22 on my Equinox.
The key to finding nickels and not so much trash is to slow down, do not notch out lower numbers, and listen.. do not totally rely on the TID.. another reason I use 50 tones.
Great post!! I agree with war nickels they are wild card nickels and can read a wide range of TID’s.

423 nickels is considered a hoard !!! 😂
If only I can find that many silvers in a year 🤭

I guess no one has found this many nickels before and I’m still in awe over that pile of nickels you showed me.

There is little question many of the older spots still harbor nice numbers of nickels. And while the Nox does I d them very well...and at good depth, there are nice numbers of junk targets that fall into the good nickel tid range, too. Hence one is still going to dig the good with the bad. I just like my odds a little better with the Nox that Its going to be a nickel. HH jim tn