Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting a property that's been pounded by Xterra 705s

mapper65

We have a site not too far from our house that's owned by a neighbor. The property used to have a late 1800's house on it and when the previous family had to give it up because of health and financial reasons another neighbor who's property borders this property bought it and tore it down. We've been detecting this property since the previous owners owned it and the new owner has also given us permission to detect it as often as we would like. So for about the last 5 years one or a few of us in the family have been detecting this location wth our Xterra 705's a few times a month. Every now and then we'll find a clad coin which always seems to surprise us for how often we've detected there.

After no significant finds for a couple of months, last week our 80 year old Mom found either a 1917 or 1919 Merc with her trusty Xterra 705. In the past she's found multiple Indians and some other silvers but surprisingly this was the first Merc taken from the site.

I've only had my ETRAC since the last few days of 2016 and I've only been out with it about 10 times. On Saturday I went to this property with my ETRAC for the third time. The first two times I was only able to spend 15 minutes or so due to rain or other obligations. After about a half hour I had what seemed like a silver signal and I pulled up a 1898 Barber quarter! I would be underestimating it if I said that we have probably gone over the area where I found the quarter 100 times with three 705's.

Don't get me wrong, we've had a significant number of finds there with the 705's but I suspect that there is something that the ETRAC is doing differently that exposed the Barber. I still like my 705 but I will say that my silver ratio seems to be rising much faster with the ETRAC than the 705. This is my 4th silver out of 10 separate days of detecting with the ETRAC and a few of those days were very brief.

Needless to say I can't wait to get back to this site to see what else the ETRAC is able to find that the 705 hasn't. I'll keep everyone updated.

Nice finds Mapper! Question, how deep was the Barber Quarter? I too am an x70/x705 owner user. 95 percent of he time I run the 3kHz 9 inch cc. I have no problem plucking those out of the ground with my machines. They are usually about 3 to 4 inches down for my area in undisturbed soil. I too have sometimes pondered what my silver count would be with an Etrac. I seem to do very well with the Xterras, but just wonder " what if" sometimes. HH

Emmett:usaflag:

WoodsWalker said:
Nice finds Mapper! Question, how deep was the Barber Quarter?

I'd have to say around 4 to 5 inches. I've found many coins with the 705 at that depth so that's why it's interesting that I found this with the ETRAC and not the 705.

Ya, it could be any number of reasons. Just wonder sometimes if the E has a little more gusto over the X. Oh well, for the time being I will never know!! Lol. Congrats and look forward to seeing more of your finds. HH

Long before I got my ETRAC I detected with someone that had one. There were many times when my finds with the 705 exceeded what the other guy was pulling up with the Etrac. The 705 is no slouch. I don't see myself getting rid of mine anytime soon.

Nice Barber maybe you just hit that spot at another angle I have fields that I still go to and try different angles every time and I always seem to pull silver.
Sometimes I walk around in circles! and that works well for me.

Mkus said:
Sometimes I walk around in circles! and that works well for me.

Hadn't thought about that before. thx

Very nice find there Mapper. Thanks for posting.

Rich -

The 705 is a great machine, the Etrac too is great, together they are a dynamic duo , generally the etrac with the wot coil
Will go deeper when set for the detecting environment looking for silver.
Let's not forget there is always variables, emf's and the time of day or night, soil matrix ,diligent coil controll , search patterns
Trash will always affect target reliability.
Usually I'll have the 705 with the HF 9in coil to pre search ( in all metal ) how much trash is in the soil to guage what settings I'll
Run the etrac in, it does help.

Somebody dug a piece of trash that was masking that Quarter or a root turned it just enough from on edge that it was detected.