Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector questions

FB49

I use a Garrett ACE 300 and I'm still pretty new to this fascinating hobby. I was wondering how many detectorists actually use the wide velcro strap that goes around the fore arm on the back end your detector? I can't see that it really helps much with control, and working your arm through the strap every time you use it is ackward. But in many YouTube videos I do see a lot of guys using the strap. What's your opinion on the usefulness of this arm strap? Also, what's a convenient "finds" bag that will fit on my military type web belt?

FB

Tried them when the straps first came out. Like you, I found them to be a hindrance so I don't use them. Actually never seemed to really need one.

If you use the detector for long periods of time swinging it back and forth, you can put a lot of strain on your forearm. That strain is compounded when you don't use the strap which keeps the detector tighter on your arm. If you are familiar with tennis elbow, this unsupported movement might cause tennis elbow which can cause you to want to stop detecting. Yes the strap is a pain in the butt when you have to put it on and off a lot but the alternative is a bigger pain. If your detector is heavy and not balanced properly, tennis elbow is a greater possibility.

I have found them to be more of a hindrance then helpful and have never had arm/elbow problems. I don't, however, swing heavy, out of balance detectors, either. HH Jim tn

I find using the strap gives me better swing control. I own a Garrett cx 111 that has no arm strap and it’s awkward to swing and my shoulder will start hurting after an hour or so . I use the strap on all my detectors that have one , light or heavy . It only takes me about 15 seconds to put it on or off . You don’t have to strap on super tight . My opinion and experience.

I dont use the strap on either of my Fisher’s but then neither is heavy and both balanced well. Maybe if a heavier coil or if I am out for more than 3-4 hrs then I might slip it on.

Always a strap...Makes you check the target better because you know you will have to take the extra time to pull out of the strap...with a strap there is better control and less fatigue over ground that is not level, such as a plowed field....You also won't feel the strain of longer hours after you get home.
Why do we all have these braces and harnesses and swingy things ????? The strap is a must have added support feature that over time you will notice just how well it does work.
Unless you are 14 years old....get used to it.

I use a Garrett ACE 300 and I'm still pretty new to this fascinating hobby. I was wondering how many detectorists actually use the wide velcro strap that goes around the fore arm on the back end your detector? I can't see that it really helps much with control, and working your arm through the strap every time you use it is ackward. But in many YouTube videos I do see a lot of guys using the strap. What's your opinion on the usefulness of this arm strap? Also, what's a convenient "finds" bag that will fit on my military type web belt?

FB
It just gets in the way , the first thing that has to go !!

Arm Cup Straps: They are not a permanent detector feature so anyone can use them or not, it's simply a personal preference. I never use them on a Tesoro which didn't come with them. I generally do use them on just about any other make or model detectors I own and use. I never go through the process of removing and re-securing them as they are lightly snugged-up and not cinched-down tight. I simply slide my are out and back in w/o any issues (except for cold months when I have a big, thick coat on). Arm cups very in size, shape and pliability, as our forearms are also different one-to-another persons. Some detectors are loose and wobbly while others aren't, so they can make things more comfortable for some folks.

As I said, I use them, but I never tighten them so as to have to undo them and re-attach them all the time.

Monte

This is one of those things that is really preference on the individual to use one or not to use one. For many years I didn't care for and removed the strap. In the past 5 or 6 years, I have been using the strap and have grown to actually prefer using it. It is always hot down here in Deep South Texas and the sweat from my arm frequently caused the cuff to slide off my arm when sweaty. Also, I use the strap to pick up the detector when I stand up after digging a target and that makes it easy to grab the strap for an old man of 71 with back problems. To use, or not to use will be your decision.

Never seemed to help me. In 47 years of detecting I never felt the need for one. As a few of the other guys say it's personal preference thing. Try both ways for a while.