Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detectors in Flight

widebody

[size=large]Shouldn't be hard to figure out the question. have there been any problems experienced with transporting your detectors on Airlines? i plan to travel from Portland, Or. to Nashville, Tn. around the end of Jan. 2012. i haven't flown since 1970. was thinking of shipping my detector ahead but was wondering about taking it on board with me or as baggage. would like input from the travelers on the forums.

HH[/size]

When I went to Jamacia last spring I put it in a hard cased suitcase and check it in.
No problem unless the suitcase gets lost thought.

There should not be any problem with domestic flights and ground freight might be cheaper than paying for extra baggage on some airlines. If you can get everything in one bag, it is that much better. Be sure to remove the battery in case it is accidentally turned on....... you can only imagine the delay you will experience..........:biggrin:

[size=large]i'd sooner walk than go thru the b.s. at the airports but my time is limited. and i can't get any volunteers to carry my detector. :rofl:
i'll box up the machines and take em down to ups and get a price. thanks for the replies.

HH[/size]

I flew out of state last year and I had absolutely no problems. I got the small White's hard case which will fit in the overhead easily. I called the airline (Southwest) to see if I needed to do anything special and if I could take as a carry on. The only thing they asked is that it fit in the overhead which they gave me the minimum size requirements and the hard case is way under that. I flew out of Nashville and no one even looked at it when I went thru security. The return flight was out of Kansas City and they did look at it and we had fun talking about the finds I was returning with. I also considered shipping before my trip but after taking with me on the plane I will always take it with me as a carry on. It is with me the entire time and I have the peace of mind not worrying if it will get lost or damaged thru shipping. I was very nervous about traveling with it for the first time but not any more. And there is no extra charge for the carry on on Southwest.

[size=large]TNreb, from what i've found S.W. Airlines is the cheapest and like you said no charge for the first two carry-ons. i could take a chance and just bring one machine. my brother is suppose to buy his around the holidays. i just don't want to get caught with my machine down. this is a one time trip. i'll look into the hardcase. thanks.

HH[/size]

I use a Pelican case similar to this: http://www.pelican-case.com/1690-laptop-cases-by-pelican.html
I have traveled with my detector, pinpointer, coils, digger and a travel long handle sand scoop (not to mention my G19 with ammo and a few mags) from everywhere to the North East coast to Florida and all the way up to Alaska and have yet to have any damage to my equipment. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Just make sure there are no batteries in the unit. Batteries are supposed to be kept in a zip-loc plastic bag. I would not have the batteries with any carry-on luggage. Put batteries in your luggage that goes in the airplanes hold. Also, keep the manual with the detector so the TSA (security) people will immediately know what it is. If they don't know already.
I fly Southwest also. I like their carry-on baggage policies.

[size=large]have suffered a heart attck and have had by-pass done. now trying to re-coup. trip is off for a while. thanks for input though.

HH[/size]

WOW...
Sorry to hear of your heart attack and glad to hear you are here to talk about it.
Best wishes with the recovery and getting back out there.

widebody said:
[size=large]have suffered a heart attck and have had by-pass done. now trying to re-coup. trip is off for a while. thanks for input though.

HH[/size]

Holy crap! I am just getting to know you guys, don't start checking out on me, I need help!
Seriously, I am glad you survived it and will do whatever is necessary to recover. Sending a prayer for a speedy recovery and no repeat episodes!

[size=large]thanks for thoughts and prayers. it was a surprise to me. very hard to concentrate for typing and keeping a straight line of thought. am told it'll take six weeks to recover. bad weather setting in so all is not wasted. this little incident started with me bringing my machines from out of my truck so the batteries wouldn't freeze haven't been able to remove them from the machines yet. don't want them corrording the terminals while i'm re-couping. so will be reading about your finds instead of finding for a while. so please keep the excitment down. glad i have this forum to keep me busy

HH[/size]