Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus

daddyflea

We had two Etracs with good operators hunt the same place with a Deus and he kicked our rears. He is getting just a little more depth. My only thought is to run Deep On and Fast Off. Any other suggestions?

Zero disc and try manual noise cancel at 6 if it's coins you're after.

sprchng said:
It's always the machines fault , ain't it.

I would generally agree but in this case we tried the signals before they were dug and we were not getting it. I did a little research and it was suggested that running a weak Gain would not transmitt some of the weaker signals. Now we are running 5X10 Coiltek coils and a Sunray X-8. The Deus was running a stock 9 I believe. This place is too trashy to run larger coils. I am running a 24 Gain with Deep Off Fast ON. I have hunted with a CTX several times and felt no handicap. We are looking at 8 to 9" coins so we are pushing it using the smaller coils. One signal maybe but I found no deep coins and he found at least 8 to 10. Of course I found a bunch of shallow clad but was not finding the deep stuff. This place is full of Buffalo Nickles and I want them.

Daddy-What exact sensitivity setting are you running? If the fella with the Deus swinging in short quick swings?

IDXMonster said:
Daddy-What exact sensitivity setting are you running? If the fella with the Deus swinging in short quick swings?

I usually run Manual near the recommended setting. It is not very high in this area. I think Auto ran near 19

During some testing In thick black field dirt,which was very mild,I was testing the CTX. One VERY noticeable thing was if I was at 18 or above in Manual Sensitivty it did very well on depth. The second I set it to 17 or below,depth suffered VERY quickly. I’m not sure if the sensitivities are comparable between the etrac and CTX,but there seems to be a “cliff” that it falls off. It’s important that you know where it is for sure on yours. Again,through testing.
No matter what anyone anywhere says...a SLOW side to side swing KILLS depth. In trashy areas it may suit your needs better to use short quick sweeps if you’re not. Something like a 2 foot sweep that takes 1 second to complete from left to right. Then 1 second right to left. When many people speak of “low and slow” it’s more saying...”be very deliberate and thorough and make sure there is good ground coverage from a few different directions if possible”. It doesn’t necessarily mean the movement of the coil itself. A slow moving coil won’t get those deeper targets to respond very well,if at all in many situations. Think of the deep coin as a speed bump. If you’re going super slow in your car it’s not such a big deal. But if you hit it going 50mph you’re going to notice. It’s a poor analogy but it’s all I’ve got.
Just FYI...there are almost NO cases in which I use Fast ON,but it’s very site dependent. Keep cross checking signals and see what you have to do to adjust your machine to see what he’s seeing. Personally,in areas with a lot of garbage I would run Auto +3 if conditions allow and Gain at maximum. Stability is very key.
FWIW(or not) YMMV...blah blah blah:)

I would take on a Deus.. anytime with my E-trac and Ultimate coil anytime..for depth..and the 13 will separate pretty darn good!.. been using a E-trac since they came out..now if I was hunting Jewelry at a park.. then I would use my Deus... they are killer at that!!!

mascard1 said:
I would take on a Deus.. anytime with my E-trac and Ultimate coil anytime..for depth..and the 13 will separate pretty darn good!.. been using a E-trac since they came out..now if I was hunting Jewelry at a park.. then I would use my Deus... they are killer at that!!!
How are you running your Deus for Jewelry? I run both a Deus and Etrac too..

daddyflea said:
We had two Etracs with good operators hunt the same place with a Deus and he kicked our rears. He is getting just a little more depth. My only thought is to run Deep On and Fast Off. Any other suggestions?

The problem, I believe, is your coil size, not the detector. Crank up sensitivity on Manual until it gets a little chirpy then back off to stable. But even at that, you are handicapped by the use of such a narrow coil.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
daddyflea said:

The problem, I believe, is your coil size, not the detector. Crank up sensitivity on Manual until it gets a little chirpy then back off to stable. But even at that, you are handicapped by the use of such a narrow coil.

Tony , that's a good point about the 5x10 but I would think the Sunray 8" would be a good competitor to the Deus 9" . Like your self , I think the fellow running the Deus has had some special training and might be using techniques unknown to the other detectorists.

Depth is completely a function of sensitivity. Gain just makes things louder. You need to stay in manual and turn it up until it gets twitchy. It may be that the Deus handles EMI better than the Minelabs.

There are many sites in town near power lines that I can only run my XS or CTX in the upper teens. Out in the country side can really dial up the sensitivity., guess where I dig deeper coins?

Chris

I've had my E-Trac for almost 8 yrs. - it's a fantastic machine to say the least - but no doubt about it ... the Deus can hit some very deep targets.
I've read quite a few reports of the Deus with the 11" coil hitting CW three ringers as deep as 16" and the 9" coils hitting Quarters as deep as 12".

guys....HAPPY Turkey Day to all
Chris is very right here....my 3 cents would be that the Etrac is all the machine any human needs
the thing is an animal....if you can put the SENS in manual...and blast it up to the highest level the EMI in the area will allow, i seriously doubt any machine out there is materially more capable
the keys are moist dirt....decent ground conditions....and a big ass coil!!
my NEL Tornado is the freaking bomb...great separation and stupid depth!!
and in deference to earlier comments....the faster i move it, the worse the results
the NEL//Etrac marriage is so strong, that creeping along allows me to see very deeply into the ground and not smear any noises together....therefore not confusing the circuitry on the motherboard...isolating squeeks and chirps of old deep coins that are screaming to me to be dug and taken home!
my earlier posts of deep 1600s coins were found over a foot deep...very slow swing speed
they came in crystal clear in decent moist ground with the Etrac in manual SENS set at like 22
thats all the area would allow me without the machine getting really loud and erratic
but these coins were found with a super slow coil movement....combing them out from between junk in this town square park that is over 350 years old...so do you think there may be just a few junk targets in a park that old?!?!?!
lol
i promise you that the DEUS would not do any better than that!!
because this town square has been pounded for 40 years by every detector//detectorist known to man
and EVERY time i go there, the ETRAC pulls more deep beauties out of this amazing historic site that all these other jamokes have left for me

Great write up!

sunraysux said:
guys....HAPPY Turkey Day to all
Chris is very right here....my 3 cents would be that the Etrac is all the machine any human needs
the thing is an animal....if you can put the SENS in manual...and blast it up to the highest level the EMI in the area will allow, i seriously doubt any machine out there is materially more capable
the keys are moist dirt....decent ground conditions....and a big ass coil!!
my NEL Tornado is the freaking bomb...great separation and stupid depth!!
and in deference to earlier comments....the faster i move it, the worse the results
the NEL//Etrac marriage is so strong, that creeping along allows me to see very deeply into the ground and not smear any noises together....therefore not confusing the circuitry on the motherboard...isolating squeeks and chirps of old deep coins that are screaming to me to be dug and taken home!
my earlier posts of deep 1600s coins were found over a foot deep...very slow swing speed
they came in crystal clear in decent moist ground with the Etrac in manual SENS set at like 22
thats all the area would allow me without the machine getting really loud and erratic
but these coins were found with a super slow coil movement....combing them out from between junk in this town square park that is over 350 years old...so do you think there may be just a few junk targets in a park that old?!?!?!
lol
i promise you that the DEUS would not do any better than that!!
because this town square has been pounded for 40 years by every detector//detectorist known to man
and EVERY time i go there, the ETRAC pulls more deep beauties out of this amazing historic site that all these other jamokes have left for me

Is anyone willing or capable of making a video where this “very slow” swing speed draws out 9-10” coins? I need to see how this works please...or maybe point me in the direction of a YouTube video. Thanks and happy T Day:)

i do not have all the go pro stuff....nor do i post on you tube
but i will try to do a few I phone vids next time i go
but i assure you, these deep ones throw off an ionically charged coin "halo" that the slow sweep of the Etrac//NEL tornado marriage feeds off of