Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus1 vs. Legend?

silverseeker 2

Just curious, for you guys that have experience with both
Detectors, here's my Question:
Would you trade a Dues 1 for a Pro pack Legend? The Deus 1 is
a great Detector. Is the learning curve on the Legend complicated as it took time to learn about the Deus and
still learning it. I know what I paid for my Deus1 and the Legend
cost half of what the the Deus cost back when. So bottom line is what would you do??? Trade or No Trade!!!
silverseeker

Deus 1 has some interesting features that give it the edge for a reason. Enjoyed using mine even though the tones were too digital for my taste but found some good stuff with it. As mine got longer in the tooth the battery issues became a PITA , always needing charging at different times or all at once and battery life became poor. Cost of replacing those batteries made me trade it for a NOX 800 when they came out which ended up being a mistake , the Deus with all it's issues was preferable.

If it was an older Deus I would go for the Legend to avoid what is coming down the road with the Deus. The Legend is easier to learn in IMHO , better menu and more accessible to man sized fingers. Accessory coils are available and the performance in ID , depth and separation are all on par or better than the Deus. If you can get the dealer to substitute the 6x9 for the 6" coil it's a no brainer.

I have both, to be honest the Deus is the better machine. The legend lacks the separation that is found on the deus, If I were to hit a coin spill of a dime, nickle and quarter, the legend would only recognize 1 coin until the others were removed, while the deus will beep at all 3.
Do I like the Legend, yes, it has good qualities, but then again so does the Deus. Look at it this way, a $1500 machine compared to a $500 machine, which do you think will out perform.
How many custom programs can you put in your Deus, compared to the Legend.

I have both, the Legend Pro pack, and a newer version Deus with a X35 9" coil and a HF one. After all the updates the Legend has come a long way, but I find it still struggles in the iron, and my Deus has little problem and definitely separates better. The Legend doesn't have a real threshold that I'm used too except in the Goldfield mode. In single frequency I have some analog detectors that out perform it. I have too many detectors and thinning them out, only keeping the ones that work best for me. I think the Legend package will be the next to go. I have a modified Excalibur II that I started to list on here, but decided to take it completely apart, changing the O-rings and adding an Ultimate 13 coil to it with one of my extra connectors, so I can't list it on here for right now, unfortunately. By the time I refurbish the Excal I might decide to keep it, I haven't made my mind up yet, as I still prefer my modified Sovereign GT. I mainly do beach hunting, so everyone's needs and environments are different. It's a great thing now to have so many detectors to choose from.
The Legend is a good detector for the price.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, using SMF, the Legend can probably do some things that the Deus I can't, but being that I also have the Deus II, I don't think that I need two SMF detectors at this time, and after using them all, I think that I have enough detectors for the type of hunting that I do, that's why I've decided to let the Legend go. That will also give me time to learn the other detectors that I have, especially the Deus II. I'm still learning how to make the most out of that one, a lot of programs and settings to consider. I'm sure it will keep me busy for quite some time, so thinning out what detectors I have, so I can concentrate on the ones that work best for me, the type of hunting I do, and the environments that I hunt in.
If you don't already have a SMF detector, for the price, the Legend is definitely worth looking at.

I forgot to mention, using SMF, the Legend can probably do some things that the Deus I can't, but being that I also have the Deus II, I don't think that I need two SMF detectors at this time, and after using them all, I think that I have enough detectors for the type of hunting that I do, that's why I've decided to let the Legend go. That will also give me time to learn the other detectors that I have, especially the Deus II. I'm still learning how to make the most out of that one, a lot of programs and settings to consider. I'm sure it will keep me busy for quite some time, so thinning out what detectors I have, so I can concentrate on the ones that work best for me, the type of hunting I do, and the environments that I hunt in.
If you don't already have a SMF detector, for the price, the Legend is definitely worth looking at.
I'll find out soon, just downloaded the update for the legend (Accupoint pinpointer), the Accupoint has been shipped out, should receive it soon.

I have both, the Legend Pro pack, and a newer version Deus with a X35 9" coil and a HF one. After all the updates the Legend has come a long way, but I find it still struggles in the iron, and my Deus has little problem and definitely separates better. The Legend doesn't have a real threshold that I'm used too except in the Goldfield mode. In single frequency I have some analog detectors that out perform it. I have too many detectors and thinning them out, only keeping the ones that work best for me. I think the Legend package will be the next to go. I have a modified Excalibur II that I started to list on here, but decided to take it completely apart, changing the O-rings and adding an Ultimate 13 coil to it with one of my extra connectors, so I can't list it on here for right now, unfortunately. By the time I refurbish the Excal I might decide to keep it, I haven't made my mind up yet, as I still prefer my modified Sovereign GT. I mainly do beach hunting, so everyone's needs and environments are different. It's a great thing now to have so many detectors to choose from.
The Legend is a good detector for the price.
What mods did you do to your GT ?
I have a low hours virgin one.

I ordered a continuous movement robotics arm cable from Mouser Electronics to make the hip mount cable. It gives me an extra wire in the cable, that the one you can purchase on line doesn't offer, so that I just has one cable going from the box to the shaft, for the Ron's 180 meter, eliminating the extra wire that I would have had to run along with the hipmount cable if you get the hipmount cable on line. I also adjusted one of the potentiometers in the unit, just a little, to change the tones that the Sovereign gives off on the targets so I can hear it a little better.
No need to go crazy in adjusting the pots in the unit, as the engineers at Minelab know what they're doing when setting it up. I've seen people go too far with that, to the point of affecting it's performance, so unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's better to not mess with them at all. I also put boots over the small Toggle switches to keep the sand and water out. That's not really a mod, but just an addition. It works flawlessly for me on the beach. I love the Excalibur, but I think that the Sovereign GT offers a slight edge over it. My Sovereign GT is still my favorite detector at the beach, leaving my Deus II still at #2.
Additionally, the Sovereign GT has so many search coils to choose from, to where the selection of coils for the Deus II is still very limited, and they're very expensive.
The Ultimate 15 for the Sovereign is a monster with depth, but still offers the sensitivity for the smaller targets as well, so you're not going to lose anything by using it. It's by far my favorite setup if heading to the beach. I actually need someone to help me dig. 😁

I ordered a continuous movement robotics arm cable from Mouser Electronics to make the hip mount cable. It gives me an extra wire in the cable, that the one you can purchase on line doesn't offer, so that I just has one cable going from the box to the shaft, for the Ron's 180 meter, eliminating the extra wire that I would have had to run along with the hipmount cable if you get the hipmount cable on line. I also adjusted one of the potentiometers in the unit, just a little, to change the tones that the Sovereign gives off on the targets so I can hear it a little better.
No need to go crazy in adjusting the pots in the unit, as the engineers at Minelab know what they're doing when setting it up. I've seen people go too far with that, to the point of affecting it's performance, so unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's better to not mess with them at all. I also put boots over the small Toggle switches to keep the sand and water out. That's not really a mod, but just an addition. It works flawlessly for me on the beach. I love the Excalibur, but I think that the Sovereign GT offers a slight edge over it. My Sovereign GT is still my favorite detector at the beach, leaving my Deus II still at #2.
Additionally, the Sovereign GT has so many search coils to choose from, to where the selection of coils for the Deus II is still very limited, and they're very expensive.
The Ultimate 15 for the Sovereign is a monster with depth, but still offers the sensitivity for the smaller targets as well, so you're not going to lose anything by using it. It's by far my favorite setup if heading to the beach. I actually need someone to help me dig. 😁
I did the switch boots or seals.
Bagged mine in wife's old blue purse.
Bought the 13" Ultimate.
And the little 3×6 Snake coil.
Hardly put any time on it though.
Don't plan on tweaking inside.
Wasn't there a pushbutton mod or something ?

Yes, there is one other mod that you can do to it, the Sovereign, just like Joe Beechnut's Toggle Switch on the handle of the Excalibur, to where you can switch it from all metal to discriminate, and back, by just flipping, or depressing a switch. I did that mod to the Excalibur, but I never felt the need to do it to the Sovereign. It will save you some time, so you don't have to reach for the detector box to flip the switch, and can be done if you really feel the need for it.

Keep in mind that that will require two more wires in your hipmount cable, if you're making one yourself, unless you want an extra wire running from the box to the shaft, which I think that most would not prefer, have to drill a hole in the box, run the wire out through a grommet, silicone seal. Best to have everything going through the hipmount cable. At least, that's what I would want. I'm not sure if the Sovereign connector has enough pins, leads to support two more, maybe not. Something that I would have to look into. If not, you would have to replace the connector on the Sovereign box to have more leads, the one on the hipmount cable that connects to the Sovereign, male/female, keep the regular connector that goes to the shaft so that it plugs into your meter, with a two lead wire also coming out of the shrink tubing, probably to a two lead connector, Molex, Cannon, Amphenol, etc., that you could connect to the opposite sex connector that would go to the wire that would go to the switch on the handle. Good to have a connector here in case something happened to the switch so you could detach it if it would have to be rebuilt. You'd have to look in the Mouser Catalog to see what's offered, check your dimensions on the Sovereign box to see if it will work, or you might have to do a little Machining to get everything to fit. Sounds complicated but it's really not, just have to put some thought into it.

When done though, you'd have your meter, and your switch on the handle to change to all metal, to discriminate, and back. Might be worth it to some.

If you don't want to change the Sovereign connector, you could just run the extra wire out of the Sovereign box, but you'd have two wires on your hipmount cable. Just personal preference I guess. Really not that hard to do if you're into doing mods and have some electronic experience. Just two options that I could offer if someone is considering it.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you would want to run everything through a single hipmount cable, it would take an eight wire cable, like the one mentioned above, and a male and female eight pin connector that you would have to order. That would give you both the meter, and the all metal / disc switch. Definitely not impossible, plus you'd be probably the only person I know of that would have that mod.
I settled on just flipping the switch on the box. It would be a fun project though if someone would really want that sweet of a setup, and had the time to do it. You would just leave the switch on the box in all metal, and switch back and forth with the button on the handle.
If you flip the switch to disc on the box then it would stay in disc regardless of the selection on the handle.

Yeah, if you would want to run everything through a single hipmount cable, it would take an eight wire cable, like the one mentioned above, and a male and female eight pin connector that you would have to order. That would give you both the meter, and the all metal / disc switch. Definitely not impossible, plus you'd be probably the only person I know of that would have that mod.
I settled on just flipping the switch on the box. It would be a fun project though if someone would really want that sweet of a setup, and had the time to do it. You would just leave the switch on the box in all metal, and switch back and forth with the button on the handle.
If you flip the switch to disc on the box then it would stay in disc regardless of the selection on the handle.
Welp you've convinced me not to do it.
Now if I can get out and get some time on these new coils.
What do you think of that little Snake coil on the GT ?
I think it'll be great in trash. Especially iron trash.

That snake coil, sort of like the Blue Max Shooter on the White's, or Shrew coil, are fantastic in the high trash sites. Because of their small size and being elliptical, they do real well in separation and also do pretty good in the iron, you just have to sweep real slow and pick out your individual targets. I was surprised the depth that I could get from such a small coil. I know I've hit coins to at least 8" with those. Most coins I've hit in yards weren't that deep anyway.

I have both. I like the Deus better because of the sounds. If you are a number watcher, you would probably like the Legend better. I have the 6 inch coil for the Legend but would much rather have one similar to the small football coil on the Impact. It gets between targets much better as does the LG24 in my opinion.

Yeah, I still love my Deus I even after getting the Deus II. I still have that HF elliptical coil for the Deus I, and just for that reason I'll probably never get rid of it. They both have their own place. I mainly use the Deus II if I'm near salt water, the 9" coil is great for the multiple target sites that are just a little too much for the Ultimate 15 on the Sovereign. The Deus I is great for inland.