Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dig everything that falls on 11, 12 or 13

Davy crockett

Slowly but surely things are getting better. So far what I'm beginning to think is to dig everything in the ferris 11, 12 or 13 range no matter what the CO is. For instance if you hit a 12/38 you know that it's either a penny or alum. If you get a nice tight circle you know it's a penny whereas if the target trace is all scattered you know it's junk.

However I've dug it when it appeared to be junk but found to be a penny.

So am I right to say that you should dig all targets in the 11 , 12 or 13 range, this way you don't miss any gold rings. I have found 2 small rings (not worth anything) on weird CO numbers but the ferris number was good.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think a lot depends on what can make those digits very.....like soil, depth and near targets. I find with faster recovery its made a huge difference in depth and target accuracy. Time can play a factor as well.

Sites that are field like and open I tend to dig allot more items than out in the woods. For me it's easier to dig an item in a yard rather than try to discern it by the detector. Out in the woods I usually recover the hard hits. What I'm trying to say is it's site specific for me to dig or not sometimes. I've chased some deep iffy signals but with limited success.

HH

Davy crockett said:
...So am I right to say that you should dig all targets in the 11 , 12 or 13 range, this way you don't miss any gold rings.....

No argument with that at all. But its hard to do most places because of all the trash.

Davy crockett said:
Slowly but surely things are getting better. So far what I'm beginning to think is to dig everything in the ferris 11, 12 or 13 range no matter what the CO is. For instance if you hit a 12/38 you know that it's either a penny or alum. If you get a nice tight circle you know it's a penny whereas if the target trace is all scattered you know it's junk.

So am I right to say that you should dig all targets in the 11 , 12 or 13 range, this way you don't miss any gold rings. I have found 2 small rings (not worth anything) on weird CO numbers but the ferris number was good.

Sure would be nice if life was that simple but I pay less and less attention to Fe numbers and more to the Co in modern parks. What tone selection are you referring to? I use 50 Co in modern parks and the ground and co-located targets make the Fe number almost irrelevant . Today I dug 5 nickels with the CTX in some ground that GBed at 91 with a F75 and they all read between 18-13 and 23-12 , anyone of them could have been a gold ring. Yesterday at another site my buddy digs half of the same patch of grass as myself and gets 3 nickels while I get 14 , he watches Fe numbers like a hawk and doesn't dig many out of the range you're talking about,,,,I dig anything with the right tone first and a close Co second,,Fe is a distant third. If you're not digging nearly the same number of nickels as quarters in a commonly detected modern park , you're missing a ton of good targets.

It also makes a difference what separation you are using Low , High , Ferrous or Ground , all will effect the Fe number. Thinking you will not miss quality targets by not digging anything out of that narrow range is handicapping your finds pouch

dewcon4414 said:
I think a lot depends on what can make those digits very.....like soil, depth and near targets. I find with faster recovery its made a huge difference in depth and target accuracy. Time can play a factor as well.

I have never used fast recovery Dew so I don't know if your depth and accuracy is better or worse with fast on :shrug: Please advise.

sprchng said:
Davy crockett said:

Sure would be nice if life was that simple but I pay less and less attention to Fe numbers and more to the Co in modern parks. What tone selection are you referring to? I use 50 Co in modern parks and the ground and co-located targets make the Fe number almost irrelevant . Today I dug 5 nickels with the CTX in some ground that GBed at 91 with a F75 and they all read between 18-13 and 23-12 , anyone of them could have been a gold ring. Yesterday at another site my buddy digs half of the same patch of grass as myself and gets 3 nickels while I get 14 , he watches Fe numbers like a hawk and doesn't dig many out of the range you're talking about,,,,I dig anything with the right tone first and a close Co second,,Fe is a distant third. If you're not digging nearly the same number of nickels as quarters in a commonly detected modern park , you're missing a ton of good targets.

It also makes a difference what separation you are using Low , High , Ferrous or Ground , all will effect the Fe number. Thinking you will not miss quality targets by not digging anything out of that narrow range is handicapping your finds pouch

I'm like you, sprchng, if the sound is good I tend to look at the CO number. If it's close I dig. Also like you, when I go hunting with my friends, I usually end up with double the nickel count, or more, as them. I, too, have a program with only the 11, 12 and 13 ferrous lines open. This is my general park program with high trash. If the tone is good and the signal repeats, you gotta go for it, regardless of the ferrous numbers. Just my 2¢ worth.

Larry......... i ment the machine has a faster recovery off targets. Ive never really preferred fast recovery either..... just slow down a bit in trash and allow the machine to do its thing. Ive never really been a digit watcher, because the tone and smartscreen gave me a bit more information. But with the CTX things seem to have come together. You can count more on digital TID at a good depth........used to jump around all over the place on the older machines.

Dew

Yeah, and 12-38 is where Spanish Reales fall. I go by depth. Not too often will I dig 38 less than 4".
I realize I may be missing an occasional, but like a salesmans theory... only have a finite time, gotta qualify opportunities. Same applies to detecting, at least for me.

dewcon4414 said:
You can count more on digital TID at a good depth........used to jump around all over the place on the older machines.

Dew

I have to agree with that statement Dew. I don't agree with the OP statement about digging everything 11,12,13, but I sure do dig the deep ones that have a good target ID. :biggrin:

Thanks everyone, I now understand more than I did, for instance a shallow 12/38 is always a tab and do not dig it. Also all hits in the 12/20 to 12/28 has always been junk but I still dig them at this time.

Practice pratice pratice is what need.

Agree with mcb613. When I get a TID in the 20s at the beach I dig it. Can be anything from sunglasses to earrings to junk jewelry to nice rings.