Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging tool

I use the "trenching shovel" from home depot also (4 X12.) But all I did was cut the handle down to about 25 inches, and installed a "D" handle from an old broken shovel handle. I did this when I could not get on my knees anymore. Now that my new knees (2012) have mended, and I can kneel on them again, I will cut the handle down even further to make it less conspicuous looking, and also easier to pack in my backpack when riding to a spot on my 49cc scooter.....nge

What did you use as a template? And you just cut that right out of the shovel? Nice job! I wanna make one!

Is that a full size shovel or a smaller size shovel?

I tried the Home Depot Trenching Shovel too. I bought the fiberglass handled version. I too cut the handle down, removed the grip from the cut-off section of the handle and reinstalled it on the new shorter handle (use rubbing alchohol as the lubricant). Attached a sling, it looked beautiful! My second time out with it... I broke the weld on the digging end and decided to buy a Lesche Sampson for $59.50 delivered to Michigan. I learned a valuable lesson... Buy the right tool for the job and save money in the end!

I watch for these on sale at a local hardware store. Generally cost around $15.
Left is unmodified. I cut down the shovel, weld a cross angle iron bar the width of my boot and weld up the split on the back of the shovel.
I can punch down through any type of soil and roots. We haven't broke one yet modified like this.

6989398.jpg

6993494.jpg

The only thing that has ever happened to my modified Home depot "trencher" is the rivet that holds blade on the handle came out. I just drilled the hole a bit larger and put a hardened bolt and nut through it, I have pried prety good sized chunks of concrete from the ground and have never broken anything on mine, I think I may have misled some on here, my tencher has a wooden handle........nge

i love creative ideas like this ...excellent idea thanks for sharing