Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging tool

muggsc

Call me frugal, or whatever. I couldn't stand the thought of spending close to $70. for a digging tool so I made one. Thought I would share the pics.
Fully field tested and lots of awesomeness. I call it my Predater Rapzer. Total cost..... well nothing, I was going to throw the broken handled shovel away anyway.
Cal

You must get diet coke with your cheesburger and fries:)
You have a $2500 detector but don't want to spend 50 on a digger?
Actually , I'm all for repurposing where ever possible and your mod looks like it would work well in soft soil. We need a lot more point and some serrations in the dirt here. My detecting partner made a similar looking digger out of the base from an old tiki torch ---still uses it frequently.

I'm retired with some time on my hands, humor me. Fun and easy to make and I was surprised how well it works. I've always had a Lesche but I can dig a bigger and deeper plug faster with this thing.
Cal

Nice MOD what did you use to cut the shovel down?

Hah, I used a metal cutting blade and my circular saw. Probaly not the best way, but it worked.:thumbup:
Cal

I have currently made my own diggers for some time now. I built one made from stainless steel for a Friend, they are super strong made from schedule 40 pipe every once in a while i will put an edge to it. With a punch set i marked out inch marks its heavy but fits in my back pouch so not to big.

Here is a few pictures of the digging tool i made, i have access to the tools to fabricate as i am a pipe welder. No picture of the stainless one i made i gave it to a Friend. Thanks for looking, on the end of handle i welded a 1 1/8" nut.

Michael

Did you put some type of covering over the wooden "handle"? And if so what did you use? By the way nice job on the digger. It looks like it is pretty stout and should last.

Took the wood completely out. I used an old bicycle handlebar grip on it.
Thanks,
Cal

THATS INCREDIBLE thear is hope for me to get that kind of digger now ,

I have this project almost completed but for the life of me can't find a bicycle grip handle. Can't find them at Walmart or anywhere unless you want to spend about $20 for some special grip from a bike shop. I guess bike accessories aren't that sought after during eastern Ohio winters. Anyone else know where you can find a grip like that?

feEbay ......http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Height-Quality-Road-Cycle-Bike-Foam-Smooth-Surface-Handle-Bar-Grips-/321274989543?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acd7b4be7
this is what I used. I'm finding that it is starting to wear a little but I've used it pretty hard.
HH
Cal

Where I work, we seem to destroy 3 or 4 shovels a month. The heads get tossed into the scrap metal bins to be hauled off.
So I rescued one to try this. Its actually a little intimidating. May need to trim it down some.

I found large heat shrink tubing and some rubber insulating tape to be a pretty durable handle wrap

I wanted to get 4" wide shovel but could not bring my self to spend $70+ I happen to be at homedepot found this 4"W x 12"L I have seen these B-4 but they were all 5" http://www.homedepot.com/p/Razor-Back-47-5-in-Wood-Handle-Trenching-Shovel-2594600/204476143?N=5yc1vZc5rrZ8v7#specifications Going back to get one this week. Jay P/S this is a very strong build as I did have it in my hand and really leaned on it.