Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dirt Dauber's Delight (Soil Data)

rwizard

I've been struggling with deciding which forum was the best place to share this information. This one seems like the best fit. (BTW - I am also very pleased to find this group, what a great topic!)

For those who really like to dig into the details (sorry), the USDA maintains a comprehensive database of soil information. I became acquainted with using it for evaluating ranch land, but some of the data may be of interest for detecting. Soil types, salinity, composition, conductivity and a million other things are available. I have to warn you that this is a very technical site, and learning to use it is even more challenging than picking a V3i for your first metal detector (yup, I did that - ouch!). Unfortunately, the USDA isn't interested in catering to the needs of metal detecting, so the information we might find useful is a bit scattered (try the chemistry and engineering reports). It is possible to view reasonably detailed soil maps as well as generate reports, but NOTHING on this site is easy, so no whining, you were warned ;^).

If only I can get my coin garden to sprout and produce a money plant or two, I am going to petition the USDA to add a metal detecting report to the site!

Here is the link: <http://soils.usda.gov/>

You can pull a quick report or two on a specific area by going to: <http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov/>

Just remember, a dedicated team of scientists, engineers, bureaucrats, politicians, and attorneys worked very hard to make this as simple to use as they could. :confused:

Wow,Thanks,That is getting technical.
Now if anyone wants to browse the soil types for different areas and post a chart for what
settings to use for the soil types in a certain area,that would be awesome!
Ok,Ok, just kidding,but the info here could well be used for any teckies out there.

Thanks rwizard for the post,Very unique and fascinating!

LabradorBob