Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you swing at a snails pace when looking for those very deep older coins ???

Ray-Mo.

If so you may be handicapping yourself. The snails pace is great for pulling moderate depth goodies out of the trash but to slow of swing will often cost you depth in the more open areas . Just check different swing speeds over a deep coin and see for yourself if you have not done so . I have read countless posts about swinging so very slow with the FBS machines from the Explorers and E-Trac and now even the CTX to get that extra depth but they will all get more depth at a moderate swing than a very slow swing speed unless in heavy trash/iron/nails.

All you need is a test garden to prove this as I have many times. How many times have you gotten that faint iffy deep signal and then done tho old "Minelab Wiggle" and have it sound off much better if a good target .While doing the wiggle you move the coil a little faster and get extra depth . They don't call them motion detectors for nothing, Ray:detecting:

PS Moving forward at a snails pace is great and not to be confused with sweep speed :)

Any chance you can put up a Youtube video showing this?

I'm curious to see/hear what kind of difference you are achieving.

I don't have a test garden to practice on here, so I will have to live vicariously through you. :detecting:

Without a doubt faster swing speeds help get more depth... Now, of course we have to swing at a reasonable speed when we are in trashy areas.. But big farm fields where targets are few and far between I swing fairly quickly...

GKMan said:
Without a doubt faster swing speeds help get more depth... Now, of course we have to swing at a reasonable speed when we are in trashy areas.. But big farm fields where targets are few and far between I swing fairly quickly...

What he said :thumbup:

Good point Ray. So many people buy the expensive machines read the forums go out turn on their new toy and expect miracles. Learning YOUR machine and it's capabilities, where you are hunting and what you are hunting for is the key. Test gardens will always speed up the learning process. Getting in a hurry is the reason there is never a hunted out area. JM2. HH :minelab:

I have been using my 3030 since the 1st week of November, and for awhile I would go so slow and listen and investigate every sound to the point of going bonkers, it helped me learn plenty though. I have read all the posts about SLOW down, but the kicker is, I did not find my first silver with my 3030 (and in 6 months prior with an AT Pro never) until I finally decided to heck with all these iffy signals and I started moving at a pace probably too fast, but I was trying to cover more ground, and next thing I knew, BANG, good sounding signal loud and clear, these weren't deep signals mind you so maybe that would be a different story, I did have 1 8 inch find though, and after that 1st coin I found 6 within a week, and 1 more for a total of 7 in two weeks.

So I haven't worried about going too slow since then, only when there's a lot of garbage in the ground, and my machine seems to pick up those signals loud and clear enough to usually stop me in my tracks and go back and check it out further, that's how I've found every single silver so far. I may have missed some here and there, I don't know, probably missed a lot, but I didn't start getting any until I picked up the pace and started covering ground, and thinking about it, the more ground I can cover the better the odds of getting my coil over some silver.

Again though, I'm not going at a run or at windshield wiper speeds, anything like that, but probably about a 2 second swing.

I've noticed that with the 3030, swinging at a snails pace in a lower trash environment can cause you to lose targets. This is why I like to take 2-3 second swings about 2-3 feet wide. That is the best working speed I have come up with from doing depth tests.

Bell-Two said:
GKMan said:

What he said :thumbup:

X2 Trashy areas I swing somewhat fast, but I'm only looking for silver in these areas. If I hear a high tone in all that noise then I do the quick short wiggles till I isolate it.
Mike

I did a little experiment for kicks and placed a quarter and a dime on the ground a couple of feet apart. You probably only need one target though. I swung my coil over the targets very slow with the coil starting out very close to the coin, then raising the height of the coil every few passes, once you get to between 5-6 inches between the coil and the coin the signal would be dissapear, or if present at all it would be very faint and brief. Then try increasing the speed of the coil as it passes over the target and see what happens.

For whatever reasons, I do not get very much depth in air tests like this as I mentioned, 4-6 inches and I loose the signal, but as soon as I increased the speed of my coil passing over the target I got good solid hits on the target again.

I wasn't very scientific about it, I did not use a ruler and try to be precise about the speed of my coil as it passes over the target or the height of it, but just being consistent with the speed and height of the coil is good enough for this little test and the results for me were pretty clear.

Try this test on actual in the ground targets and see what you come up with. I think you will find this just the opposite as slow will get you more depth than fast, but maybe the ground condition could be different than what i have seen.
I got int a big discussion on the BBS forum about this when using my Sovereigns and seen this with my CTX also, but don't have a lot of time on the CTX yet. For me I worked a well worked park on a challenge to find one old coin in a area he worked hard with his detector and I came up with over 70 coins with over 55 where deep and older ones by going real slow and listening very close, if I speed up my swing just a little or quite a bit there was no signal at all, but going at a snail pace I was able to pick up those deeper signals. On air test the fast speed always seem to do good, but not on those actual targets in the ground. This surpised me on the results as much as the guy that had worked it well.
The little I been out with the CTX in a not old site i will swing faster, but those well worked site of very old parks and ball Fields I slow way down and listen closer to those weaker signals.

Rick

Rick(ND) said:
Try this test on actual in the ground targets and see what you come up with. I think you will find this just the opposite as slow will get you more depth than fast, but maybe the ground condition could be different than what i have seen.
I got int a big discussion on the BBS forum about this when using my Sovereigns and seen this with my CTX also, but don't have a lot of time on the CTX yet. For me I worked a well worked park on a challenge to find one old coin in a area he worked hard with his detector and I came up with over 70 coins with over 55 where deep and older ones by going real slow and listening very close, if I speed up my swing just a little or quite a bit there was no signal at all, but going at a snail pace I was able to pick up those deeper signals. On air test the fast speed always seem to do good, but not on those actual targets in the ground. This surpised me on the results as much as the guy that had worked it well.
The little I been out with the CTX in a not old site i will swing faster, but those well worked site of very old parks and ball Fields I slow way down and listen closer to those weaker signals.

Rick

Has been the same for me.

this is a good discussion.once the soon to be two feet of snow on the ground melts, and the ground thaws, I will try to put the slow swing compared to fast swing on actual targets to the test...undoubtedly air test show that faster swings will give you more "depth"I'm not sure why it would react differently for objects in the ground.

in the air test I'm thinking that the fast swing works better because of the sudden change that the detector detects as an object is passed by the coil.as opposed to a slow swing where the detector "compensates" for the change in the em field with a diminished signal...I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in other forums and the answer is out there if we look...
of course again, I completely agree with and practice slow swings in trashy areas

Ok, the next person that takes their CTX out for a walk please take a video capable device to capture the moment.

Find a deep coin target any way you know how. Then fire up the camera, and record what your settings are, showing sensitivity levels, and go about capturing the deep target with both fast and slow sweeps.

Heck if multiple folks around the globe did this, and posted it up for all to see, we can nip this theory in the butt.

well it won't be me...
[attachment 284267 rps20140213_110353_740.jpg]
12 to 18 expected on top of the foot in the ground

You should be able to test the theory on surface coins then. :)

I was a little suprised, (maybe I shouldn't have been) that the simple surface coin test I did actually picked up coins better
at a faster swing speed. But in no way am I suggesting that anyone, myself included, would benefit by swinging their coil around around in 1/2 second swings because it would pick up deep coins better than a slow swing. It was simply an observation made while I was killing time is all, but for myself, if no one else, it was an observation worth noting.

I slow way down in trashy areas and even more when I get a blip on a deep coin.

I've never hunted using a video can attached to my machine, for one I don't have a little go pro type camera, and its not the most exciting video subject either. But videos do come in handy for learning. Man, I haven't hunted for the better part of a week so I'm going out to find something now. This topic and the others like the discussion about noise canceling are very interesting though, and useful info to carry around with my detector.

Its weird isn't it? Why does it act that way? Something like I mentioned earlier?

Now that I think about it we are using motion detectors. So there must be a baseline on sweep speed for maximum depth in a clean environment and one for trashy areas. Of course this will constantly change with different settings and soil conditions, that

I forgot to add that in the manual they recommend a sweep speed of 4 seconds from your starting point to the return point. They also have an illustration on page 63 of the manual. I imagine your height would have a small effect on speed. So that would be our starting point.

Mike