Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does Battery Power Effect E-Trac performance?

AVXVA

After my rechargeable pack died, I went to AA Duracells. Machine likes them, but I`m wondering, as they get to about 1/2 discharged does that effect E-Trac performance--depth and discrimination? The manual says a voltage regulator keeps the performance level, but is this true? Has anyone seen machine performance decline as the AA battery power gets around 50% on the meter?

Thanks!!

The manual is correct, and I have never seen performance changes on my Explorers until they make a descending “song” and turn off. I believe the minimal voltage is 9.8 or thereabouts. Please consider the RNB battery at 129.00 usd if you do a lot of hunting and are down to using AA batteries. You will wind up saving ALOT of money and you can hunt for a solid 30+ hours on a single charge, even if running the speaker, backlight and wide open screen.

The manual is correct, and I have never seen performance changes on my Explorers until they make a descending “song” and turn off. I believe the minimal voltage is 9.8 or thereabouts. Please consider the RNB battery at 129.00 usd if you do a lot of hunting and are down to using AA batteries. You will wind up saving ALOT of money and you can hunt for a solid 30+ hours on a single charge, even if running the speaker, backlight and wide open screen.
Agree on both statements and yes especially the RNB battery.....lighter and longer lasting...whats not to like?

Spot on! Never had battery issues after move to the long life, RNB battery. It's worth every penny!!! (y)(y)(y)

never owned an etrac, but i can tell you when the battery is completely discharged the machines preformance severly decreases to the point that the machine wont see an aircraft carrier 1' in front of it

Strange timing to say this but, I bought a battery holder from Ukraine several years ago, made by a seller who made them with one of those 3D printer setups. One was for my Etrac, and the price then was around 50 bucks total, even AFTER buying the three 18650 protected battery cells. The holder itself was under $30. I also bought another battery holder for my Whites V3i in the same timeframe, just about the same overall price though. Both still ROCKS! We may never see that seller ever again.

Another option...

But first: IDX is right, there is a built in regulator in the machines that warns the user of a low level and then shuts down the machine when the voltage gets too low. Occasionally you get a goofball on one of the forums who wants to up the voltage from the pack to "Get more Depth". Doesn't work because of the voltage regulator, and other reasons, and you may damage your machine.

Fully charged pack voltage for NIMH is 9.8 volts- 8 cells x 1.2 volts per cell. Same pack with alkaline is 12 volts- 8 cells x 1.5 volts per cell. If you search the web you can see that different kinds of batteries have different discharge curves, you may not be getting that great of life from the Duracells even though they start from a higher voltage.

So....

Fill the alkaline pack with low discharge NIMH cells. When my original ML NIMH pack stopped holding a charge for any length of time I put high capacity NIMH batteries in an alkaline pack. Worked, but if the pack sat around for any length of time, as in days, they would discharge themselves to the point of not being usable.

I then switched to the low discharge type of NIMH cells. Charge them up, a year later they are still good to go. They cost roughly $2 a cell, and you get thousands of charge\discharge cycles from them. So.. between the second and third time you recharge they are already cheaper then the Duracells. $2 x 8 = $16 per pack. I believe I get around 20 hours of use from a pack; not as good of life as the RNB lithion pack, but way cheaper. And you can the same cells for everything else that uses AAs, I have a pile of AAA and AA cells and a Lacrosse charger, use them for everything, only buy 9V alkalines these days. Takes 30 seconds to swap fresh cells in to the alkaline pack, then you are good for another 20 hours. I have a couple of alkaline packs filled when I make a road trip, never run out of juice. With the RNB Lithion and Ukrainian 3D packs you can only use it in your specific metal detector and generally need a dedicated power supply to charge it, which of course would never get lost.

I bought a part for my Braun food processor from a Ukrainian 3d printing outfit, not sure if they were the same ones offering the Battery holders. Turned into a bit of an adventure. They wanted me to send funds by Western Union which turned out to be 4 times what the part cost. Finally just threw some US dollars in an envelope and mailed it off. Figured it could get stolen a couple of times and I would still be money ahead. Got the part on the first payment a couple of weeks later. Pretty crudely made, but worked, and saved me from buying a $60 new complete bowl assembly.

Chris(SoCenWI)

...and the RnB battery charges in under two hours versus eighteen hours for the Minelab rechargeable battery pack!

Spot on! Never had battery issues after move to the long life, RNB battery. It's worth every penny!!! (y)(y)

Thanks! I need something better than a factory battery. About 2 years after buying the Etrac the original would last maybe 4 hours after being plugged into the charger for better than a week. It finally crapped out and would not hold a charge at all. A factory replacement lasts maybe 2 hours longer. I'll get the RNB, and the ML piece will be the spare.