Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DOUBLE GOLD

DWild

Found two gold coins in one week. What a spring opener. Started working an 1861 Civil War Camp this spring that I had worked two years ago. I finally hit a hot spot. I also found an 1842 half dime, 1847 half dime and an 1856-O Dime. This area is littered with all sizes of ball shot, .28 to .69 and everything in between. Also lots of dropped lead. Found two .58 2-ring minies and a couple of odd .36 bullets. I am in Missouri and the camp was pro-southern so they showed up with what they had. I still don't think I am in the main camp because of the lack of camp items. I have found one broken spur but nothing else but coins and lead. Most of the ammo looks dropped not fired. A lot of the round balls still have nipples on them.

1st picture of the 2 1/2 dollar is right after I dug it.
Pictures 2 - 5 are the 2 1/2 & 1 dollar after a shot of water and NO RUBBING. I can't believe how small a gold dollar is. FYI the 2 1/2 dollar read (11-22) and the 1 dollar read (11-11).

The ground is farmed and it is amazing these coins did not get hurt. The 1 dollar has been hit ever so lightly on 2 edges of the obverse. This camp was only there a short time in 1861 so they have been laying there 155 years.

Wow! Congratulations are in order! And a big solute for doing your homework. Totally awesome finds. :clapping:

Rich (Utah)

Awesome...:thumbup:

And thank you sooo much for not rubbing the coins. :)

That was a hunt of a lifetime...congrats.

mike

Two gold coins is very unusual in one area as we all know. Even one is rare.Have you checked bigger targets where your detecting ?
It's not unheard of that the Payroll officer sometimes buried Payroll allotments when being attacked by the enemy .. Just a thought..There may be more spread around due to plowing etc over the years or even a partial intact cache..

As you move out from the central location the targets become fewer and finally go to zero. There are no large or deep targets that we can find. Also no battle took place here. We think we are where an old breastworks was that is long since gone. I would guess we are at a forward defense where they past the time making bullets and gambling. I will attach a photo of some of the other items found.

That payroll idea is probably worth checking out. This ground has been terraced and the golds were on top of a terrace about 100 feet apart. All the silvers were on the original land slopes. Payroll idea might explain another thing that has bothered me. Look at the attached photo of the half dimes. The full dime is about the same. I would guess the farm chemicals have caused the staining but they are really beat up. Why are the 2 gold coins so pristine? I might add that these coins have only been 1.5 to 3 inches deep.

Amazing finds... Bet you are absolutely thrilled... :thumbup:

Was wondering what, if any, pattern you were using when you got the 11-22 and 11-11 signals...
I've dug many 12-11 and 11-11 signals only to find small bits of foil/aluminum...
Of course these signals didn't come from anything close to Civil War sites, but early 1900 house tear downs...
One of these days I hope to see a sight like that in one of my plugs...

Robert

Actually I have been using Andy's coin pattern opened for gold. I have gone over the same area wide open and have only had a few additional hits. Usually just a small piece of dropped lead.

Holy smokes, incredible finds! Congratulations.

awesome, thanks for the pictures and good luck out there, i hope you find more! that is really amazing. real history.

ive been metal detecting off and on since about 1982 and i have never found a gold coin, i dont know what i would do if i ever found one.

that's what we all hope some day....wtg!!!!!!!!!!

Just incredible finds! Congrats DWild! My Mom always said "what happens twice happens three times" or something like that.

Wow. The finds of a lifetime. Most people never find a gold coin. You hit it 2 times. Great finds!!!

That was a hunt to die for!!! I would fall over with one gold coin, but to find a second gold coin along with 3 seated coins is amazing.

Congratulations on the hard work of finding the site and then finding the rewards!

Wow! I'm blown away! Awesome finds, no doubt, Congrats on the finds... Beautiful.

Thanks for the story too.