Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dream hunt! Findings, indications

Stogger

Last Saturday night/Sunday morning beach hunt was the best I could ever hope for! Doing this for 2 years now and the best finds were when people asked me to look in a specific area to find something they lost. Other detectorist would find sizable rings or gold pieces; I never came across anything like that; I mostly found small (but interesting stuff). I was always happy to get out and thankful for the fresh air and things I did find. Well last Saturday night/Sunday morning left me floating on air!

I have to drive 3 1/2 hours to get to the beach, so I plan it out, look at the tides, weather, predicted wave heights, and if there are any functions happening before I get there. Because of the long drive, I prefer hunting in the evening and all night through the next morning. Usually 10-13 hours straight. The CTX-3030 has always held up mechanically and functioned as advertised, and without a battery change. ...arms start to give out though.

My normal setting is using the preset Beach Mode with Recovery Fast "on" and Recovery Deep "off", Seawater "on". Target Separation to "Low Trash"

Well here goes:

-1/2 ton of aluminum trash as always. No picture; deposed in trash cans along the way.

-Necklace chain: 4" deep in wet sand, read solid 12-10 (read the same at home). The clasp has .925, no marks on the actual chain. I used a graduated cylinder to check the density which came out to be about 10.3 g/cm^3 which indicates silver not gold. I have an acid kit that dissolved the metal using the 14k bottle, but the silver tester indicated .925 as well. So I still don't know if it is silver or gold. Seems odd the 3030 indication is in the gold range not silver. Whatever it is, it is 17g of it.

-Gold colored bracelet: Also in wet sand. Within 6" of surface. read solid 12-47. Thought it was a quarter. Interesting here that it is gold color but has the .925 stamp.

-Cooler of beer: Found on surface. Rang in at 12-03. Beach cleaners were going to take it since it was out all night to the next morning. I was thirsty so opened it to take a look. Also had water and Capri-suns, so to save a 2 mile walk back to the truck, I helped myself. No one claimed it the next morning so...

-Grand-Pappy of ring: 6" deep in wet sand, read 14-10. This was a solid BAM 14-10. (At home it read 12-24, not sure why the difference). Large 14k and more diamonds then I ever thought could fit on a ring. Found this at the very end of the hunt. I was ready to head off the beach and back to the truck but decided to look in this one area a little more since the water conditions (small waves) and low tide were perfect conditions. Sure glad I did!

Awesome hunt...congrats :thumbup:

That big honkin' ring looks like it would ID right in the middle of "scary-gaudy".
:)
mike

Wow, what a great hunt!

How nice, someone decided to leave refreshments for you! Great save on the ring, as for the bracelet readings, you will find more items just like it, gold plated silver(or gold colored covering on silver) that makes the CTX reading fall all the way down to the 12-01 range. I've got about 5 earrings and 1 ring in my scrap silver bag that all read lower on the screen and are marked 925. No idea about why your silver looking necklace read so low.
Good work!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. The silver colored chain feels fairly heavy. I don't know if or not they make chains with 925 clasp and the chain a different metal? Also there is no corrosion like I usually see with silver. When I find out what it is I'll post it here.

Mike

That was for certain a Dream hunt!

Nice finds,

I have one question, I have been interested in doing beach hunting at night but I can't help but think. Alone, naaa.

Does that worry you? Being alone thru the night? I know there are waayy to many crazies out there to look out for and that would be a concern.

Thanks

Well...I grew up in Baltimore City. Then I was in the Air Force for 20 and traveled around the world many times on my own. So I don't really think of it, but I do keep my eyes open and situational awareness. At a minimum I'm armed with a nice SS scoop and CTX 3030 :) Maybe this is being sexist, but I would be angry if my wife or daughter were to do this on their own. Probably better if you have company, but personally I like being alone and don't worry about it too much. Knock on wood nothing has happened yet. The beaches I've been to are relatively safe; there have been encounters with some happy drunk folks....this just gives me a good laugh that someone else is having a good time too.

Mike

Stogger said:
BTW does anyone know what the "pen" looking thing is? Some sort of smoking device?

Yes, it looks like an electronic (vaper) cigarette,

Well done on the finds.

Thanks! it does have some smelly stuff in it and pops and crackles when you push the switch. never seen one of these.

yep good score !!

I am due myself just to make it about me for a bit,

but very nice pocket gotta be happy with that :clapping:

AJ

As impressed as I am with your finds, that 10-13 hours impresses me more. Hard work = Results. Congrats!

Thanks Champ. It is amazing how fast the time goes! Especially if concentrating on covering a certain area...and if the weather is cooperative. Also there is no way I could do this without the harness. The ride home is really rough though! Sometimes I just have to pull over and snooze.

Well the appraisal was $24,200 but today I took it to one of the larger pawn/antique shops just to see what it would bring in, and the highest they would go is $4k. (Just to give one example between appraised and actual value).

Stogger said:
Well the appraisal was $24,200 but today I took it to one of the larger pawn/antique shops just to see what it would bring in, and the highest they would go is $4k. (Just to give one example between appraised and actual value).

Pawn shop value is no where close to "actual value". If a pawn shop pays you 50% of its real (what it can truly be sold for) then you were very lucky. f they offered $4K, it's like worth at least $10K

Hi Jason, thanks for setting me straight! "Actual value" was the wrong wording. I knew pawn shops pay very little but I didn't know they pay that low. When another pawn shop worker (that didn't look at the ring) said something on the order that cheaper quality diamonds don't bring much, the fellow inspecting them corrected him and said these were not cheaper quality (gave me a good feeling :) ). Clarity was VS2 to SI1 and F to G color range. There are 36 x 3.4mm and 50 x 1.5 to 2.0 mm. I Googled various diamond calculators, and along with the gold value came to between $8k and $11k. So I bet you are right!
Mike

PS. Metal detecting is a really interesting hobby because it forces you to learn about metals, stones, acid testing, diamond grades, clarity, color, density testing, history, corrosion, beach erosion, ground conditions, wave motion and effects on surf and sand, wind conditions and effects on beach, people's activities (depositors), .......