Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dream hunt! Findings, indications

The chain is indeed 925 silver. I learned from the pawn shop that if you use 18k acid tester (acid) and the result is blue, it is 925. That combined with the density calculation proves to me it's silver, not gold.

Stogger said:
. Metal detecting is a really interesting hobby because it forces you to learn about metals, stones, acid testing, diamond grades, clarity, color, density testing, history, corrosion, beach erosion, ground conditions, wave motion and effects on surf and sand, wind conditions and effects on beach, people's activities (depositors), .......

Yep, if you want to be good at it, you learn a lot. It could be history, research, human behavior, hydrology, etc.... Anyone can swing a coil, the good ones learn how to truly hunt their prey!

Anything you should learn (if you haven't already) is that diamonds are a false market. By that I am saying the end consumer pays a massive markup over wholesale cost. If they had the true value we paid at the jewelery store, then those store would buy back loose diamonds but they won't even talk to you about buying them. They are not worthless, but the ones who will buy them will not pay anything close to "retail" value. You have to have a LARGE, CLEAR diamond before it begins to have real worth. Talking about 1/2 carat and near flawless before people actually want to buy them.

Good luck in your hunts. You made some great finds there, if you are selling I hope you the most $$ possible!