Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dug My Oldest US Silver! 1830 Capped Bust Half Dime!

Sooper Dave

Got out on my first hunt of the year on New Years Day. I went to a place that I found a Confederate button at this past summer. The fields have been cut and I looked around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. I went back around where I found the CS button and dug a first for me with an 1859 Fatty Indian. It was so crusty that I had to use some aggressive cleaning methods to bring out the details. I am happy with how it turned out.

I went out again last night to a new spot that I got permission for this summer but haven't had an opportunity to check it out. I got there just before dark and I dug trash for an hour. I worked my way towards a few tress and got a nice signal. Hoping for a bullet I was surprised to see a tiny silver when I popped the plug. I did the please let it be a half dime as I was picking it up out of the hole. And with the light of my phone I could make out Lady Liberty and could see 1830. I was so excited to have just dug my oldest US silver! These tiny coins don't come up often for me. I called my wife to tell her what I had just found and to let her know why I would be out later than first thought. I got back to digging and dug a nice dropped bullet close to where I had just dug the half dime. I dug another dropped bullet and then a Merc before I left. Turned out to be a great quick after work hunt. When I got home and cleaned everything up, I could now see the bullets are a ring tail Sharps variant. These are .52 caliber Confederate Sharps from the Selma arsenal, another cool first for me. Very happy to be digging awesome coins and relics in this abnormally warm January.

4GxXHDC.jpg
B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg
uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg
LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg

What a way to start of the year, big congrats on that half dime.

Ron in WV

Got out on my first hunt of the year on New Years Day. I went to a place that I found a Confederate button at this past summer. The fields have been cut and I looked around for a few hours with nothing to show for it. I went back around where I found the CS button and dug a first for me with an 1859 Fatty Indian. It was so crusty that I had to use some aggressive cleaning methods to bring out the details. I am happy with how it turned out.

I went out again last night to a new spot that I got permission for this summer but haven't had an opportunity to check it out. I got there just before dark and I dug trash for an hour. I worked my way towards a few tress and got a nice signal. Hoping for a bullet I was surprised to see a tiny silver when I popped the plug. I did the please let it be a half dime as I was picking it up out of the hole. And with the light of my phone I could make out Lady Liberty and could see 1830. I was so excited to have just dug my oldest US silver! These tiny coins don't come up often for me. I called my wife to tell her what I had just found and to let her know why I would be out later than first thought. I got back to digging and dug a nice dropped bullet close to where I had just dug the half dime. I dug another dropped bullet and then a Merc before I left. Turned out to be a great quick after work hunt. When I got home and cleaned everything up, I could now see the bullets are a ring tail Sharps variant. These are .52 caliber Confederate Sharps from the Selma arsenal, another cool first for me. Very happy to be digging awesome coins and relics in this abnormally warm January.

4GxXHDC.jpg
B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg
uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg
LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg
Great finds man, especially that silver!

4GxXHDC.jpg
B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg
uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg
LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg

4GxXHDC.jpg
B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg
uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg
LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg
Congrats on some nice finds

Great finds Dave. I'm envious.

4GxXHDC.jpg
B9ae5CU.jpg

AY2Vf6c.jpg
uFIezXz.jpg

P6wWK6x.jpg
LhxUXrS.jpg

CgfYCND.jpg
Congrats some really great fines.

Wow!! Congrats on your “new” oldest coin (y)

Congrats on a very rare find Dave !