Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac and the 10 X12 SEF

grumpyolman

I got the SEF last week from Kellyco and have used it a couple of times now. In the last two outings I have found 3 wheat pennies and that's good for me and the area I hunt. I was primarily frustrated with the Pro Coil and digging the 'iffys' only to discover a ghost hole. Reading and corresponding with Bryce on the Explorer part of the forum, his experience was the SEF tended not to report the Ghost holes like the Pro Coil does. I think he's right. I found a few holes with rusty nails in them and that's no problem as I was chasing the 'iffys' to try score some silver. I had significantly less ghost holes...although I did have a few.
I got an iffy signal and thought I heard a nice sound in the null, not clear both directions, and some of the other noise from adjacent targets. I went after this one and found a square nail. Then I put the X-1 down into the hole again and got a solid warble. Off to the side of the nail about 3" below out pops some silver. It's muddy and I can't really tell what it was. Thought it might be a Canadian dime, but silver none the less. Got home and put water on it and it was a 1900 Barber. I have beat the dickens out of this school ground. Still, working slowly and listening carefully out pops this Barber. The school that's there now was built in the middle 60s and I would expect a Rosey or something but not the Barber. There is an unattached 'gym' next to school and I am told it was the original one room schoolhouse in the early 1900s. Guess that might be true. I really think that SEF is a good solid coil. Jim

Ive been wanting to try the 10x12 s.e.f also.I use the 18x15 sef and love it.I hear people speak of ghost signals now and then..I have ran into this a few times But i have a simple method that seems to work 100% of the time for me to locate that "ghost signal".Those Ghost ignals are Iron 99% of the time .You were getting a good signal off a sharp rusty edge which happens now and then,but when u open the hole the signal is gone...What i do is go into all metal and then re-probe the hole(i use a sun-ray pinpointer).When u go into all metal bingo the signal re-appears.What i figure is happening is once u disturb the soil the discrim pattern starts working like it should and blocks out that Iron(that was hitting good before we opened the hole).Every now and then there is a Good target under a larger piece of iron also that was being masked once the hole was opened.Going into all metal Im able to locate and remove the iron and re-scan to make sure nothing good was being masked.now this works great for me,it may not for others.But these are the only ghost signals ive run into and by checking in all metal real fast i seem to elimate the 'Ghost Signal Problem"..Let us know if you find more goodies the pro was missing,I really think im gonna order me one of those 10x12 to try out.HH

I think you are dead on on the issue of the so called ghost holes with the pro coil.For the first several months with my E-Trac I used my Uni-Probe pocket probe which is a very powerful all metal pulse pin-pointer and I never experienced a true ghost hole.Many several inches off the point of a very rusted nail false signals and a few very tiny targets that were very shallow but acted like deep targets.
With that being said I must say I like the SEF 12x10 coil even better than the Pro coil except for the extra weight.It has been a super producing coil that is very quiet and stable at the higher end of the manual sensitivity settings I have been running it at.And the separation is every bit as good as the pro coil for me,Ray.

i was out today with the 10x12 sef man what a coil,first coin 1945 silver washington,second 1901 barber.i can not complain

Good post Jim...and I'm glad you are experiencing less ghost type holes.

From the tons of pm's I got...trust me...there were many people who were experiencing them. I was one of them:biggrin:

What we...or I anyway...need to clarify is that a ghost hole doesn't mean "nothing there" all the time.

Many times there WOULD be something there... iron much deeper :biggrin:.

The pro coil would give me and many others a solid "dig me" repeating signal over deep iron.

What the 10 x 12 col has done for me though is not give me a "dig me signal" over this same deep iron. The SEF coil tells me to "walk on".

That way I don't have to dig a deep plug only to have the X-1 probe null and tell me it's iron. The SEF coil tells me that before I even consider digging.:thumbup:

Do I still get what I consider ghost holes with the SEF coil...sure...but maybe 10% of what the pro coil gave me...and I also already knew they were "iffy" signals before I dug them with the SEF.

Now with all this being said...many super talented hunters LOVE the pro coil...and the moderator of this forum...Ray...is one of them.
That feller' makes some awesome finds and he has no problems with the pro coil.

Actually I have found dimes at 11" with the pro...so I know it is a great coil too. For me though I do better in the iron with other coils. Just my opinion...which I have said before...is worth maybe a nickel on a good day:bouncy:

Take care Jim...and good luck hunting

From what I've been reading the last few months it seems like all the different sized SEF coils are getting great results Jim !
I'm going to ordering a 12 x 15 SEF coil soon

HH --- Mark

My best finds so far this year (to include a 1788 Spanish reale and an 1852 U.S. silver 3