Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac pulls 104 year old silver!

Charles (Upstate NY)

Well now the E-Trac is 2 hunts 2 silver coins! For Portland, OR in the Explorer'd out parks a barber quarter is mighty fine! Was only out there for 1 hour too so lucky me. Here also is the 1950 silver dime I dug Saturday.

So target details well it may be interesting to know that I gridded this area a few years back with an Explorer, its not that big an area and was a very likely spot for an old coin so I covered it well. Yet somehow I missed this silver quarter with an Explorer? Does not seem possible.

It gave a strong signal on the E-Trac, sens 24 manual gain 21. But something was amis, I was getting quite a bit of nulling also. The quarter was about 8 inches down and stuck in some roots. I checked the area after I dug and there didn't seem to be any other targets around so I'm suspecting ground signal as the ground does suck here and also when I went to AM I was still getting some nulling. I'll have to sort that out but the skeeters and approaching darkness would not allow me further E-Trac fun tonight. I also pulled out a clad quarter earlier that was next to a dang car door or something big yet it locked right on. It was nice being able to swing back and forth in short swings and get a distinct hit with the giant whatever nearby. I also notice that you have to watch this coil, its hot around the parameter to surface targets. What I had thought was some falsing was it actually picking up nearby surface targets.

etrac001.jpg

n/t

Just teasing, great job Charles. Now see if you can't find some really nasty coal slag sites and try that newer "see through" technology with difficult soil and dense trash. Let us know what you think. I bet an old coal train depot would produce really well:thumbup:

I bet an old coal train depot would produce really well

There's one down the road... the ET find's nothing there but neither does any other detector.

J

You probably wouldn't find anything deep, but the fact that there isn't a VLF detector out there besides the ETrac that can handle coal slag, it just might be honest, virgin ground. In that situation, I would use auto sens, fast on, dense trash and difficult ground. In fact, just take a piece of coal slag and run it back and forth across your coil until the ETrac ignores it and doesn't false to it and use those settings at that site. You could even do what I did the first day I got it by putting a quarter in a bag of coal slag and keep messing with the settings until you can pick up the quarter only.:detecting: If you can get it set up that way, just think of all the different sites across the US where coal slag was dumped on top of productive grounds that because of which have never been hunted, ever!!!!!!!

I have a big good area dawn the road, a really active CW depot that is now a park and a yard across the road. The first Confederate hospital, or wayside home, was across the way from the depot. I have hunted the yard a bit but I don't remember if I was in auto. I'll try again in the next few days. I'll dig up a bucket of the stuff to work with. Thanks for the head's up.

J

Nice find . I lowered my gain down to 23 and it did well .After the rain I will try 21 and see how it works on deep coins again congrats HH