Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EARLY GRAY GHOST UNDERWATER HEADPHONES

The original GGUW's had a small coil in them to make them universal, to work with all detectors....like the sovereign, explorers, etc.... remove the coil and they become louder but will now work on some detectors. The chart below shows several different head sets, the GGUW's are listed and maybe as bad as the Koss yellows, on audio output with the excalibur. Remove the small coil inside of the main ear cup and they will improve, a lot. Video shows how..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQa05Oe7qU

When I took the transformer out of my set of GG underwaters, I could not pry up the blob the transformer was in, but could melt the stuff covering the transformer with a heat gun to get it all out. If you use a heat gun, go slow and be careful. I got the blob out but also put a warp in the outer headphone case. It took some careful reheating and twisting to get it set where it would snap together again and fit tight. They have been dunked in the ocean many times since, so I know they are OK ... :)

I understand from a discussion on the beach with a friend those with no volume knob aren’t much better. I believe it has to do with cutting corners.....bad supplier and the desire for more profit per set. I do know Tony Eisenhower May have given some advice on how to improve them.

dewcon4414 said:
I understand from a discussion on the beach with a friend those with no volume knob aren’t much better. I believe it has to do with cutting corners.....bad supplier and the desire for more profit per set. I do know Tony Eisenhower May have given some advice on how to improve them.

Dew........I gave them advice years ago and they went with what the chinaman gave them on the GGA's. I told them go a different material for the piezo plate, thinner, and what "brand" and size of piezo to use. Only thing they did that I said, they went to a bigger piezo..which did help but they did not use the design/brand of piezo I told them. If they had listened the first time around they would have been as loud as the "Gold Masters" that Phillip made or ...........my skullies which as you can see from the chart above Rock! And part of the reason I do well on the deep treasures.

And I no longer do any type of work on headP's or excaliburs...All Pirate now.:super:

Was there any talk about how loud might be too loud with respect to possible claims of hearing loss and liability for that? I know I worried about that when setting up transcription positions in my previous life.

And with respect to "All Pirate now" :clapping: You've earned it.

TVR ........Never at the time but that's why I recommended a volume control...but since they did not follow the "loud plan" it could have been left out.

You may not do any more repairs ect...... but you were an innovator Joe. YOU made more improvement on the Xcal than ML did. Not only did you do the repairs but you put all the information out there for ANYONE wanting to DIY. Hoping when we get the AQ ..... that mind starts turning out more ideas.

Using them with an excallibur 2 ........After coil is removed in the headphone , what is the wire connection for the coil wires ? - mike

Your just removing the coil from the picture (circuit)...nothing fancy.

Take the Two wires in the Coiled cable from the pod...Connect to the..........two wires to the right piezo.......then connect those two wires to the crossover wire that goes to the two wires on the far piezo. .........(other ear cup)

Now if you have 3 wires in the coiled cable you will need to test which (Two) work....been several years, but I think there was a White..Black and Red wire..you have to hook up one then test the other two...

Good Luck...

dewcon4414 said:
You may not do any more repairs ect...... but you were an innovator Joe. YOU made more improvement on the Xcal than ML did. Not only did you do the repairs but you put all the information out there for ANYONE wanting to DIY. Hoping when we get the AQ ..... that mind starts turning out more ideas.

Thanks Dew.........I have plans for the "AQ" already, hopefully we will see it in 2020........:thumbup: