Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Electronics issue

Stogger

Today at the beach I was detecting in the surf about knee deep. About 3 hours into my hunt the detector (CTX 3030) acted up when I pushed the pinpoint button. The screen details would blink on and off, sound was jumping around, the indications were chattering all around the screen even though I was just holding the detector pointing out away from anything. After this, any target would set the machine in overload, then basically freeze up. Eventually the only thing I could do was turn off the machine, and back on again. This would reset it to act normally for awhile. Then after a few minutes, the chattering, indication jumping, and eventual freezing up would occur again. It seemed the pinpoint button is what initiated the failure. but also pushing the light-off and on button would result in the same.

I checked the battery, coil cable connection, connection next to the coil cable, and all was dry and seemed to be seated properly. I was using the Ghost waterproof headsets connected directly.

I've had the detector now for about 5 years and mostly used it on the beach, and lots of heavy surf usage. I'll send it back to Minelab to see what's up; just checking if anyone else has seen this type problem.

I've had similar issues when a battery was going bad...but that might not be the issue here.
I suppose you could double-check with the alkaline pack, but it's a long shot.

Since you've checked everything you can, I can only second your vote to send it in.

Good Luck,
:)
mike

Thanks Mike!

When I got it home and did a thorough cleaning, I tried it again. Happily, it seems the machine is working mostly normally except the pinpointing button (trigger) is not working at all. Maybe an intermittent failure of the button caused the problem (hope water didn't get in there). Most works besides the button now. Happy the machine is not fried. These are indeed good machines! I think it amazing it held up for 5 years of pounding surf! We will see what Minelab has to say.

Thanks again!
Mike

There is an internal coincell battery that can cause weirdness. You could carefully open the unit to check it for 3V but it takes patience.
Mine has died out twice in 5 years but a Minelab repair tech I talked to wasn’t familiar with such issues.

Well I returned my detector, now in Minelab''s hands. Just mentioning: I sent them an email and gave a call the next day. They promptly replied to my email, and the lady on the phone gave me specific instructions. I had an RMA in no time for a painless delivery.

Well, Minelab did a great job of fixing and returning my detector. (I will add another post to address the process and Minelab's great customer service).

The problem was indeed the trigger that was shorted. Minelab replaced the trigger and the trigger boot. They also updated the firmware and addressed other issues. So I now have my CTX back and working great!

When I first received the detector back and cranked it up, I was getting spurious indications similar to before. But I found the detector was in "manual" noise cancellation channel 6. When I did an Auto noise cancel, the spurious indications went away.

I was very happy with Minelab service!!

Does your external speaker work (one sign of water intrusion)? Mine was found to have severe corrosion that also affected the one-way valve following water ingress (after 2 1/2 yrs surf use). Never knew my external speaker was affected because I always had my waterproof headphones connected. At the same time, my screen died a rather quick but beautiful death (rainbow-effect)...all under warranty and replaced free by Minelab. Nothing to do with the battery seal.

Hi Lawrence, yes the external speaker works fine. my granddaughter loves turning it on for the Minelab tune! Thanks,
Mike