Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EM I. Will kill the Nox

lse450cc

I’ve been to two different places. nox will not run quiet in multifrequency.We’re talking 50 foot from Powerline. Reminds me of whites DFX it was bad about EMI. if you don’t hunt around powerlines you will be all right.

Can you still hunt thru it or does it keep it from hearing the targets? My Deus is really bad in town also but I can still hunt with it.

Dumb question. ..but you did do a noise cancel? Have you tried it any where it did work? If it dont....and dont noise cancel could be a coil. Call ML.

lse450cc said:
I’ve been to two different places. nox will not run quiet in multifrequency.We’re talking 50 foot from Powerline. Reminds me of whites DFX it was bad about EMI. if you don’t hunt around powerlines you will be all right.

I've run mine in town, under power lines with sens at 23, I had no problem whatsoever with emi.

Yes you can. You can go to single frequency . You can turn the sensitivity down .You can work around it. It’s just aggravating you can’t go anywhere you want to. The thing about it multifrequency is the best Setting to use.

I have bad EMI around my house. I have found that in the gold 40Kz I can turn it up to 17 compared to 8 in Multi. It has killer depth on the air test with gold and silver coins. So far I don't find mine to be any worst with EMI than my E Trac. At least I have a way around it with the EQ.

lse450cc said:
Yes you can. You can go to single frequency. You can turn the sensitivity down .You can work around it. It’s just aggravating you can’t go anywhere you want to. The thing about it multi-frequency is the best Setting to use.

Some places you just have to do the best you can and call it good. I imagine you've tried other detectors there as well?

Waaaaaaay back in the day, I had a White's Eagle with the Jimmy Sierra 6" Eliminator Coil on it. Stacked coil. Kinda extra thick looking. Not sensitive to targets above the coil. Only coil/detector combo I never had trouble with EMI. I hunted under powerlines, transformers, no trouble. Often wondered why somebody doesn't take that coil design and run with it. Any patents have to of run out by now, this was back in the late 80's.

Rich -

I noise canceled five times. And there might be something else. But when I walk towards the powerlines it started. Walk away it would stop .May be a bad transformer. But this was in two different places. 10 miles apart.

Did you try lowering you sensitivity? I had to drop mine a little [21] under some low three phase power lines and hunted right thru no problems.
The thing I have encountered in some areas with other detectors is a high frequency interference, not your normal emi NO detector can operate in this environment.
I have witnessed this being transmitted thru overhead power lines.

Rich (Utah) said:
Yes you can. You can go to single frequency. You can turn the sensitivity down .You can work around it. It’s just aggravating you can’t go anywhere you want to. The thing about it multi-frequency is the best Setting to use.

Some places you just have to do the best you can and call it good. I imagine you've tried other detectors there as well?

Waaaaaaay back in the day, I had a White's Eagle with the Jimmy Sierra 6" Eliminator Coil on it. Stacked coil. Kinda extra thick looking. Not sensitive to targets above the coil. Only coil/detector combo I never had trouble with EMI. I hunted under powerlines, transformers, no trouble. Often wondered why somebody doesn't take that coil design and run with it. Any patents have to of run out by now, this was back in the late 80's.

Rich -
Spot on Rich!!! It is the best in EMI, I've plenty of expireince with the 6" Eliminator - I even pulled 1/2's real from an old cemetary with major high tension towers running a couple hundred feet away. It was mostly ok to hunt those sites back then.I had the same coil from 1986 or '87(?) on Di 6000 and 600 Pro models, Eagle 2 SL 90.5 and finally the XLT until I sold it to great friend a couple years ago....he's also using my old XLT I sold him. Such a unique pancake coil...! Applied Creativity made some functional specialty coils.

Have you tried using the manual noise cancel. The Equinox manual states "The Manual setting allows you to listen to each channel so you can manually select the one with the least interference. This can be useful when detecting in close proximity to other detectors, or in locations with lots of electrical interference."

sat in the back yard all iron buildings close within 20 feet wi fi modem 30 feet away and all the rest of suburbia, just adjusted it till the noise went away mostly sens button down to 15 or so and auto seemed to do a good job at noise cancel but flicking through the numbers can hear changes in EMI and detector noise.

its not a CTX, having said that found a pulltab from the 70's in the BY and haven't found anything there for years so hopes are raised a little.

try walking parallel with power lines seems to work with minelabs..

I ran my 800 model right under power lines. Using Mulit freqs could run sens to 22 and be stable, 23 a little waivering happening.

Dan(NM) said:

I've run mine in town, under power lines with sens at 23, I had no problem whatsoever with emi.

I concur. Ran directly under power lines in a neighborhood yesterday and had nonpronlems at all. Noise cancel before you start detecting and it runs fine.

lse450cc said:

****************************************​

Hi there 50cc !

Thanks for the post re EMI.

Was the site's ground damp?

Reason for asking is because the ground currents induced from the power line's load, will be more troublesome in wet conditions.

I wonder if any of the 'experts' who were involved in the pre-production trials reported any such US 60 Hz related EMI ?

If Minelab have their multi-frequencies precisely set on the KHz frequencies a advertised, then maybe they've boobed?

Any one out there with a frequency counter who can tell us what degree of shift is available?

Let's see if anyone can help re- frequency-shift information..........matt

Unfortunately our world is totally RF polluted. Try using an AM radio in a typical house. You
wont get many stations but you will get plenty of odd noises & a VERY high noise floor.
Next try it in a blackout or go out in the woods. The radio comes alive ! Trouble is almost
anything that plugs in or runs on batteries adds to it. You can do some things at the receive end
but not much. Its all those little transmitters. Only way to battle them is government regulations
& paying a little more for a better quality product.
I also found a pole I cant MD near with the Safari. I am surprised I havent found more. Remember
almost every pole carries power, phone, cable & sometimes more. They can ALL leak & cause
EMI / RFI.

hh
Tom
LFOD !

OP I’m not doubting what you say, but it is not a widespread issue with the Equinox. My hunting buddy and myself both received ours on February 12th, and we have put collectively 20 hours on them and neither of us have had your issue. We live in an area of 125000 people, lots of utilities and so on, if the issue persists I would send the unit back to Minelab and have them replace it. Good luck.