Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

English coat of arms?

jabbo

Attractive pin found in a 1700's farm field. About the size of a quarter, was black when I dug it, but some scrubbing with a brass wire brush and silver polish cleaned it up real nice. Has a British crown at the top. The symbols on it are too tiny to ID, even with a magnifying glass. The pin on the back is corroded away. Found it several months ago where British troops were. At first I thought it was from the Rev War era. Anyone know anything about it? Is it only a piece of common jewelry or did it have some kind of special meaning. I found a half dozen British pennies and an Irish copper coin from the 1700's at this farm but this pin may not be that old.

I believe this type of jewelry is called a crest brooch. Since it is marked sterling and the pin appears to be completely rusted away I would guess that it dates from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. You should be able to get an approximate date by researching the clasp style.

Flint, Thanks for the info. I looked on the internet, saw a British crest brooch almost identical. Will have to look again. Jabbo

Beautiful, Being Sterling it has to be Old..Try to get some information from a United Kingdom Metal Detecting web Site--Detecting England---Rally U K---Midland MDC Co Uk--goldnugget

Old british stuff would not have sterling on it but would often have hallmarks indicating the age of it and wh.o and where it was made. Without those it is probably late 19th century or later and not British made. The motifs on the sheild look a bit like jibberish and don't look like something heraldic, maybe just a melange of heraldic symbols without meaning, just decorative.

Google "silver hallmarks" and "heraldic symbols" and you will see what I mean.