Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 coil lugs broke

Ask minelab, they should be. Next time be more careful (or did it just break on it's own?)

Looks like I am going have to be extra careful, my heart sank when I first got the Equinox as the coil ears looked thin I thought they wouldn't last long, I didn't expect them to break so soon.

I was detecting a sandy slope maybe too much sideways force.

Sorry to hear they broke. Made me go take a look at mine and you know what, they do look thinner than most :shrug:. Keep us posted on how its handled. HH

Thats something water guys need to pay special attention to. We have a tendency to want to use the detector as a crutch when digging putting our full body weight on it. Something eventually WILL give. By the way i believe they are the same size as the CTX...... battle detector lol.

Dew

Hi Hello,

Please feel free to contact us at service@minelabamericas.com or call 1-877-767-6522. We would be happy to assist you.

MLA Jamie

My friend broke the ears on his CTX and Minelab replaced the coil. Theses ears look thin to me also. I see trouble down the road.

Yup had ctx coils ears break
They replaced coil
That was 17 inch
I made same thickness plastic piece and glued to side of tabs on new one
Doubled the thickness
No more problems
Dremel works great cutting it to size and can trace to get perfect fit
Although I’ve never had problems with ctx 11 coil but I’m more aware too
Compared to Excalibur VERY thin

Water guys need to really check theirs. We get a lot of coil movement and sand is very abrasive on that connector....... it wears those rubbers fast..... then starts chewing up the ears. If the coil gets to loose change the rubbers...... DONT crank the bolt. That only increases the wear and bend on the ears. AND...... stop leaning on your detectors when digging with the scoop. So...... just a curious question what is covered by the 3 year warranty......... coils, headphones the box.... batteries?

Also...... i tried to purchase a coil cover the other day....... seems they arent available. Let me add....... i received a ML bottle opener the other day with a purchase i made. BEST thing in the world to slowly get those coil covers off without damage. If we damage our cover removing it to clear it or it just wears and splits.......... under warranty are we allowed to run the coil without a cover?

Update: I'm not from the US but did contact Minelab Americas anyway. I contacted my Minelab repair centre and they haven't any parts for the Equinox at the moment, sent a email to my dealer a few days ago and had no reply from them yet, will try phoning them after the holiday. The dealer I brought my Equinox from still has the 600 and 800 on pre-orders only so its unlikely they will have a coil. I'm tempted to repair it myself but I think it will invalidate the warranty on the coil if another problem arises and possibly the whole detector.

Dang man, that sux!!! I feel really sorry for you. Hope you get some help soon.

dewcon4414 said:
Water guys need to really check theirs. We get a lot of coil movement and sand is very abrasive on that connector....... it wears those rubbers fast..... then starts chewing up the ears. If the coil gets to loose change the rubbers...... DONT crank the bolt. That only increases the wear and bend on the ears. AND...... stop leaning on your detectors when digging with the scoop. So...... just a curious question what is covered by the 3 year warranty......... coils, headphones the box.... batteries?

Also...... i tried to purchase a coil cover the other day....... seems they arent available. Let me add....... i received a ML bottle opener the other day with a purchase i made. BEST thing in the world to slowly get those coil covers off without damage. If we damage our cover removing it to clear it or it just wears and splits.......... under warranty are we allowed to run the coil without a cover?

I dont use my coil covers on my machines . I use Tesoro 11 inch white coil covers i found at my local dealer in the UK They are like frisbees . Slightly tight fit but are much tougher , must be taken off each trip or they become a right pain to get off .
They fit the ET Pro coil better and can be used over the ET pro cover but not the Nox's .

Every time i put my coil on my Nox i am very wary about tightening the bolt too far .

My nox cover gets full of sand after a beach hunt the fit seems poor. I notice on the ctx 11 inch coil there looks like some sort of criss- cross bracing between the lugs that the nox coil doesn't have. .A lot of coils have a front bracing piece and the lugs are longer as well as thicker.Are these deliberately designed to fail probably after the warranty has expired obviously mine went too soon.

If they would answer their phone. That would be great. You have to wait 2 days for them to call you back and if you miss the call. Tuff do do I don't think that's good customer service.

rl48off said:
If they would answer their phone. That would be great. You have to wait 2 days for them to call you back and if you miss the call. Tuff do do I don't think that's good customer service.

Dont leave a message. keep trying until you reach a CS rep. Try first thing in the morning, I've always had best luck early.

Minelab has the coil ear breaking down to a science.
They know when the coil ears are broke because the detector is used as a crutch.
which is 95 % of the time.
But they will replace the coil anyway.