Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 maiden voyage, roaring success 4 Silvers!

BootyHunter

Got out to a couple old homesites that my hunting buddy scored permisssion for us on. Hunted the Equinox in field 2, 5 tone, iron Audio on. Got a 1940 Merc, a 1947 and 1957 Rosie’s, a 1944 Quarter, a World War 1 Great Seal button ( the backmark dates it to 1910-1930 so could be post Ww1 but pre WW2) a tiny pocket knife and some wheats and other coins. I’ve been detecting for 14 years around here, only 1 other time have I had a 4 silver day! This thing picks the good out of the carpet of iron that is commo. At these types of sites. Love it and can’t wait to really learn it! This site not uploading photos from my iPhone now so don’t know what’s up with that. Says “you failed to attach any files”. Or I would have included the pic.

That sounds very promising! Great job finding some silver!

Thanks and congrats on the silver.. Still waiting on my Nox 800.. can't wait to get it and try it out..

BootyHunter said:
Got out to a couple old homesites that my hunting buddy scored permisssion for us on. Hunted the Equinox in field 2, 5 tone, iron Audio on. Got a 1940 Merc, a 1947 and 1957 Rosie’s, a 1944 Quarter, a World War 1 Great Seal button ( the backmark dates it to 1910-1930 so could be post Ww1 but pre WW2) a tiny pocket knife and some wheats and other coins. I’ve been detecting for 14 years around here, only 1 other time have I had a 4 silver day! This thing picks the good out of the carpet of iron that is commo. At these types of sites. Love it and can’t wait to really learn it! This site not uploading photos from my iPhone now so don’t know what’s up with that. Says “you failed to attach any files”. Or I would have included the pic.

Have you detected this particular site before?

Do you think that most any machine might have made those same finds?

Did you tend to dig more targets than you might have with a familiar machine you've used in the past?

What kind of depth were the silvers at?

Thanks everyone! And to answer these questions in particular, no I had not hunted these 2 house sites before, however I’ve been Detecting here in this area, the exact same type houses in the same neighborhood for the last 14 years. I don’t think “any detector” would have gotten 2 of the silvers as they were in an area of heavy iron. And our soil here is moderately mineralized. Most Detectors struggle with this soil. The “normal” ctx sensitivity reading was 18/11 17/9 and on a T2 the ground balance scale was always over 3/4 for frames of reference. I don’t think I dug more than normal, I’m usually a “dig any repeatable non-ferrous signal” type hunter anyway, so I didn’t dig more than I usually do. And finally the silver ranges for 4-9 inches deep, but I don’t think depth was the issue that would keep other machines for finding 2 of the silvers, the amount of iron in the area 2 of the coins were is what would keep most machines from finding them. They would either be masked totally or the reading would be so terrible it would be written off as iron. Like I said I been detecting the last 14 years here in the same area and only 1 other time did I find 4 silvers in a day and that was hunting all day long at several different sites. Getting one here and there.

Thanks for the answers. Did you get steady target id's on those two silvers, and were they in the same segment/range as the ones that weren't in the heavy iron? Overall, how do you feel about the Equinox vs. other machines you've used in similar situations?

HighPlainsHunter said:
Thanks for the answers. Did you get steady target id's on those two silvers, and were they in the same segment/range as the ones that weren't in the heavy iron? Overall, how do you feel about the Equinox vs. other machines you've used in similar situations?

No problem! We can all learn from each other. Well I did get solid numbers, now the good numbers in thick iron were more “directional” ,that is to say one sweep direction would be a perfect number while other directions it was more “bouncy” between numbers. But it was consistent when sweeping that direction.
Here’s my Detecting history: I started with a Discovery 3300 bought at Radio Shack (remember those) made by Bountyhunter. I then got an Ace250, ran that for about 6 months then got a Garrett Gti2500. Upgraded from that to the Minelab Etrac when it came out, then got the Minelab Ctx when it came out. I also got an At Pro (which I still have and love). So I’ve owned many Detectors in the last 14 years, and I can honestly say I believe the Equinox found coins and relics in the iron where most of those machines I mentioned would have either not found them at all or really struggled to produce a diggable signal. On top of that it’s feather light, the wireless headphones are just amazing and it’s waterproof so if it comes a downpour it’s of no concern. And factoring in this was the first hunt with the machine, but I do have a lot of experience and had read the manual a couple of times so its not like I was a total greenhorn with the machine, but still yet I don’t know this machine at all yet I was able to make several really good finds. 1 or 2, ok maybe blind luck but consistently make my good finds and I even was able to identify can slaw by the numbers and characteristics of the signal for the most part. All in all I would say this is the most excited I’ve been about a detector AFTER having used it, ever.

HighPlainsHunter said:
Excellent! That's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear...

Thanks, but let me make a small correction. I just went back and downloaded the video of that hunt and one of the silver coin recoveries, the 1940 Merc dime came in at an 18/19. I commented that it was a good signal but I didn’t think it was a coin. So SOMETHING brought the number down on that one, most dimes and the other silver dimes come in at 26, but there was a lot of iron where I dug that merc. You know memory is so funny, I didn’t recall that at all until I watched the video. Another good reason to record your hunts and signals as it’s like watching a “game film”. Sometimes things didn’t happen the way you “remember” them. But I say if it’s a good repeatable signal, dig it. Your shovel is the best discriminator you can get!

I will add this to Steve's post. I am his hunting buddy and I posted the other half of this hunt on "first impressions and relic hunting potential". Here is what I can add we have hunted this area for well over a decade not those house sites specifically but having used the ace 250, gti 2500, explorer se pro with multiple coils, the At pro, T2 and CTX 3030 these were the site's we tried to hunt but couldn't would work the areas with less iron. Finding coins and relics beyond 6 to 8" around here is not common with any of those machines listed. Between heavy iron sites and difficult soil. What I saw and experienced myself with just 1 outing with the nox. I am certain this machine is better none of them would have found some of those targets simply because of the conditions we hunt in. I know with a doubt foxy noxy will be my first out other then when I need super depth of my gpx 4800 which is pulse machine. For every other scenario I will reach for nox.

mtwolf2270 said:
I will add this to Steve's post. I am his hunting buddy and I posted the other half of this hunt on "first impressions and relic hunting potential". Here is what I can add we have hunted this area for well over a decade not those house sites specifically but having used the ace 250, gti 2500, explorer se pro with multiple coils, the At pro, T2 and CTX 3030 these were the site's we tried to hunt but couldn't would work the areas with less iron. Finding coins and relics beyond 6 to 8" around here is not common with any of those machines listed. Between heavy iron sites and difficult soil. What I saw and experienced myself with just 1 outing with the nox. I am certain this machine is better none of them would have found some of those targets simply because of the conditions we hunt in. I know with a doubt foxy noxy will be my first out other then when I need super depth of my gpx 4800 which is pulse machine. For every other scenario I will reach for nox.

Could not agree more! My Equinox name is DK. I’ll let y’all guess what that stands for ;)

Booty hunter,
Your what you are seeing with Equinox mirrors what I have seen and experienced. Some thing about the Nox, it flat out tell user a nonferrous is lurking, It's tones and the way the numbers roll in the screen, you can be sweeping and hear that higher blip to tell you to put the brakes on.

Almost too easy. So of the finds not deep either.