Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 noisy

Hi all,,,i bought the 800 this past year and just cant seem to get the hang of dealing with the noise, different tones, chatter and the like. Maybe i am not ground balancing correctly, or noise cancellation ?? Seems like I am following the right instructions and all, but detector seems to be awful noisy. Even when i slow down i get alot of different tones with the numbers jumping around alot fro 17 to 22 to 30 ?? How slow do you have to go with this machine?? I am not swinging it fast at all. Just kind of frustrated with it. Want to revert back to my old machine, ( Whites M6 ) Any suggestions for a very SIMPLE way to tune for just coinshooting ?? Thanks, gary

One way check for EMI is to hold the detector still and if it chatters, then you know that is the cause.
As far as ground balance, that may cause a problem in single frequency if not properly set more so than while running multi frequency.
A little more information may be helpful in trying to help you out.
If EMI is a problem, try switching to 15 khz to see if that helps.
I also have an 800 that I have been using the past three years.
I have run into a couple locations that EMI was bad, and I had to switch to a single frequency to detect there.

Last edited:
Hi all,,,i bought the 800 this past year and just cant seem to get the hang of dealing with the noise, different tones, chatter and the like. Maybe i am not ground balancing correctly, or noise cancellation ?? Seems like I am following the right instructions and all, but detector seems to be awful noisy. Even when i slow down i get alot of different tones with the numbers jumping around alot fro 17 to 22 to 30 ?? How slow do you have to go with this machine?? I am not swinging it fast at all. Just kind of frustrated with it. Want to revert back to my old machine, ( Whites M6 ) Any suggestions for a very SIMPLE way to tune for just coinshooting ?? Thanks, gary
Sounds like you might be on a trashy piece of ground. Try changing locations. The 800 for me has always run pretty stable. Things you can try, make sure your cable connection is secure. Wouldn't hurt to disconnect and re connect. Do a factory reset a couple times. As far as tones, If you are in Park or Field 2 the default is 50 tone. Try switching to 5 or 2 tone. For me the 800 always ran more stable in Field 2 as opposed to Park 1. Another thing, make sure you do a proper noise cancel. The manual states a ground balance is not necessary unless in highly mineralized ground but I find it only takes a few seconds, so I do. Lastly sensitivity, try to keep it between 18 and 20. Running it maxed out can cause it to be unstable. Hope some of this helps. Question, are you running the stock coil ? Good luck. Mark

Posted 11/26 and haven’t heard from the OP since. Probably went back to the M6. Some people get to a certain place and never get beyond that place. The 800 is not hard to figure out. What IS hard to figure out is when someone asks for advice and immediately disappears.😆

Posted 11/26 and haven’t heard from the OP since. Probably went back to the M6. Some people get to a certain place and never get beyond that place. The 800 is not hard to figure out. What IS hard to figure out is when someone asks for advice and immediately disappears.😆
Maybe he figured out it was user error and was too embarrassed. lol. If I do something stupid I laugh and try to learn. Wish I had a war nickel for everytime I forgot to raise the sensitivity in the field after having lowered it in the house when playing with the settings. On a recent hunt I was hitting 3 and 4 inch targets with the Legend for the first 45 minutes or so before I realized I was at 3 on the sensitivity.lol. Couldn't figure out why it was running so quiet and stable. Duh ! And then again maybe he got the answer he was looking for. I hope so.

Cell phone can definitely do it, I had that problem with the first units.
Jeff I read the same thing. Started with the 800 end of Feb. 18. Never had that problem but then again I never had location switched on my phone. I wonder if that made a difference. Mark

Maybe he figured out it was user error and was too embarrassed. lol. If I do something stupid I laugh and try to learn. Wish I had a war nickel for everytime I forgot to raise the sensitivity in the field after having lowered it in the house when playing with the settings. On a recent hunt I was hitting 3 and 4 inch targets with the Legend for the first 45 minutes or so before I realized I was at 3 on the sensitivity.lol. Couldn't figure out why it was running so quiet and stable. Duh ! And then again maybe he got the answer he was looking for. I hope so.
Yeah? Well…I was hunting with my Explorer that had a Sunray probe on it and hunted for a solid half hour with a VERY quiet machine until I figured out that I hadn’t switched it back to the main coil. In the meantime a guy hunting with me swung over the same area I had just “hunted” and found an SLQ, a coin which up to that point I’d never found before. THAT was a kick in the ass and I’ve never done it since.
It is SUPER easy to overlook something, especially with newer machines that have lots of controls. He must’ve gotten it ironed out I’d assume…

Yeah? Well…I was hunting with my Explorer that had a Sunray probe on it and hunted for a solid half hour with a VERY quiet machine until I figured out that I hadn’t switched it back to the main coil. In the meantime a guy hunting with me swung over the same area I had just “hunted” and found an SLQ, a coin which up to that point I’d never found before. THAT was a kick in the ass and I’ve never done it since.
It is SUPER easy to overlook something, especially with newer machines that have lots of controls. He must’ve gotten it ironed out I’d assume…
I’ve done the same thing with the probe while using an Etrac. Yeah that’s one I will never do again, well I guess I shouldn’t say that after having Covid twice my memory has been torn apart.

Two things— lower sensitivity, or find a single frequency that works for you. Running multi-frequency, while attractive, can pick up more interference than a single freq.

good tips, wish I was standing there with you to get a better fix on your experience, but another cause could be ground mineralization, happened to me this past week, yet again, as I moved from a permission yard to the next yard, my 800 blew up, chatter all over the place, further I moved away from the road, less chatter lead me to believe I'd wandered into a large patch of fill dirt along the road.

Thank you all for your excellent advice and guidance. I have been having computer problems. I guess i just need to be patient and get the hours in. I have since SLOWED down and did the airplane mode switch which seems to really help. Slowing down and adjusting the sesitivity has really helped. I guess learning the tones helps alot too. I have my eyes on some colonial homes that are on old maps but are just woods or lots now. Am also thinking about a smaller coil arounf old foundations in the woods. Always a ton of iron and square nails to put up with. Is there a smaller coil compatible with the 800? Sorry for my not responding and thanks again to all who replied here. Gary

good tips, wish I was standing there with you to get a better fix on your experience, but another cause could be ground mineralization, happened to me this past week, yet again, as I moved from a permission yard to the next yard, my 800 blew up, chatter all over the place, further I moved away from the road, less chatter lead me to believe I'd wandered into a large patch of fill dirt along the road.
Or possibly EMI from power lines the are usually run long roadsides.

I have a ferrite core clip/bead attached to the coil cable a couple of inches from the control head on my Equinox 600 and 900. They are supposed to reduce RFI and EMI interference. Since I started putting them on, I seem to have reduced the amount of interference when detecting around power lines, cell towers and even having my cell phone on. They do not seem to interfere with receiving signals from the coil back to the control head. Someone with more knowledge on these things may can expound on their potential benefits or detriment to having them on. So far, they seem to help me.

Never had a problem with my 800 one of my best silver finding detectors!
Mark