Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox finds Gold Coin

That's so sweet, congrats! A find that is a worthy trophy. Get a bezel and put it on a chain

Nice find I found exact same coin only 1911 in 2016 with a Etrac its one of the coolest gold coins I think..

First a nice coin Congrats on the recovery.

But second here in lies the problem. It is probably safe to say that most machines would have seen the coin. The Nox gives a VID of 17 - 19. So tell me folks, how many of you will actually dig those numbers? We are talking in the ground, pull tab, zinc cent range.

This is where the VID is absolutely no good for detectorists. Most are tired of digging pull tabs and will walk over a signal in that range. I dug a 1893CC 10.00 eagle in a park in Utah that gave a zinc cent reading.

I am sure it is safe to say that you have a new machine you are learning so you are in a dig most target mode. I have been the same way. After a thousand pull tabs on the machine you won't be in that mode anymore.

I could be wrong but the machine is just a tool to tell you something is in the ground. Your brain has to decide if you want to take the chance and dig another pull tab or zinc penny.

After the newness of the machine wears off and you have had it for a few years, do you really think you will keep digging 17 - 19 signals? I am guessing no.

How many folks have got pull tabs programed out of their CTX or E-Trac? I can raise my hand. I have been digging a few pull tabs and just the beaver tails with the Equinox.

scubadetector said:
But second here in lies the problem. It is probably safe to say that most machines would have seen the coin. The Nox gives a VID of 17 - 19. So tell me folks, how many of you will actually dig those numbers? We are talking in the ground, pull tab, zinc cent range.

It depends ENTIRELY on where I'm hunting. Beach, absolutely. I dig everything that isnt iron. Ghosttown / field / relic sites I dig everything that isn't iron. Modern parks and schools, absolutely I ignore those mid range targets because there are thousands of bits of foil / aluminum / tabs for every real gold item.

Would I have dug the signal of the gold coin presented here? Maybe. Old parks like that become more about digging based on depth than TID. Anything 7, 8, 9+ inches deep (or for EQX sake, barely registering on the pinpoint mode) are worth a dig.

Jason in Enid said:

It depends ENTIRELY on where I'm hunting. Beach, absolutely. I dig everything that isnt iron. Ghosttown / field / relic sites I dig everything that isn't iron. Modern parks and schools, absolutely I ignore those mid range targets because there are thousands of bits of foil / aluminum / tabs for every real gold item.

Would I have dug the signal of the gold coin presented here? Maybe. Old parks like that become more about digging based on depth than TID. Anything 7, 8, 9+ inches deep (or for EQX sake, barely registering on the pinpoint mode) are worth a dig.

I absolutely agree with the beach. Anyone that passes up a mid tone on the beach isn't looking for gold! Where I got my gold coin is a modern park. Where my friend got his 20.00 double eagle was in the water in a bezel.

Digging up trash at a beach is easy. Out of the ground not as much. I am just saying probably every machine would have seen the coin and made a sound. I believe he dug it because he is learning the machine. After a few years I am wondering if that would still be the case.

I am glad he found one. An absolute thrill you will never forget.

I'm still waiting to find my first gold coin :rolleyes:

It don't think its about just digging everything with a new detector. I dug very few low conductors with my CTX because the TID on them was horrible. Crappy, jumpy, large spread TIDs in the lower half of the CO scale always (almost) were crumpled foil and aluminum so I quit even giving them a second look. Jumpy high TIDs still had a great chance of being a coin so I dug those as long as they werent shallow.

Now fastforward to the EQX. It is very stable in low conductor TIDs so I have been digging WAAAAY more nickels than ever before. The EQx just hits and locks on them.

The FBS detectors loved to lock onto silver coins, that is why some many loved them for that. EQX loves to lock on low conductors so they seem to becoming popular for that

My caveat here is that some targets just say "dig me now" This is a pic a beautiful old gold ring with jumpy TID numbers but something about it demanded digging.

Jason in Enid said:
Now fastforward to the EQX. It is very stable in low conductor TIDs so I have been digging WAAAAY more nickels than ever before. The EQx just hits and locks on them.

My caveat here is that some targets just say "dig me now" This is a pic a beautiful old gold ring with jumpy TID numbers but something about it demanded digging.

EXACTLY what I am saying. The Equinox locks onto old pull tabs 17. Locks onto shot gun head stamps 13 for smaller ones 17- 19 for the taller ones. Locks onto aluminum twist tops 20.

So in how many years of NOT digging a gold coin will the user of an Equinox start passing up those signals? I dug my gold coin out of a park in Utah for one reason. When I found it there were absolutely no zinc pennies 5" deep in the mid 1990's.

The detector is just a tool. The user has to interpret the knowledge it gives him to decide to dig or not to dig. Unfortunately for most, they let the numbers and the tool decide that instead of their brain.

scubadetector said:
First a nice coin Congrats on the recovery.

This is where the VID is absolutely no good for detectorists. Most are tired of digging pull tabs and will walk over a signal in that range. I dug a 1893CC 10.00 eagle in a park in Utah that gave a zinc cent reading.

I am sure it is safe to say that you have a new machine you are learning so you are in a dig most target mode. I have been the same way. After a thousand pull tabs on the machine you won't be in that mode anymore.

I could be wrong but the machine is just a tool to tell you something is in the ground. Your brain has to decide if you want to take the chance and dig another pull tab or zinc penny.

After the newness of the machine wears off and you have had it for a few years, do you really think you will keep digging 17 - 19 signals? I am guessing no.

How many folks have got pull tabs programed out of their CTX or E-Trac? I can raise my hand. I have been digging a few pull tabs and just the beaver tails with the Equinox.

If you watched my video you will hear me say that I thought I was chasing and early wheat penny or Indian head cent when I dug the gold coin..
I had already dug Indians that bounced as low as 18 on my Equinox..
18, 19 is the low end of the zinc range for Park 1 in my soil..
My tabs seem to hang out in the 13 to 16 range so they have not been a problem for me as far as hunting for old coins..

My Gold Coin IDs as 12-31 on my E-Trac wich is also the bottom end of my zinc range..
I would have dug that signal no doubt with my E-Trac, especially in that Park..
I have pulled a lot of IHCs out of there.

At close to 50 hours on my Equinox with great success I have no plans to stop my 18, 19 digs.

Results my differ for you soils and Modes so make sure you do your own in ground testing..

Bryan