Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox is super chatty!!! Help

Goes4ever

Ok, my equinox seems overly chatty at every single site I take it too lately. Was quiet in the fields but now I’m hunting yards it is super noisy. I noise cancel over and over. I change frequency to 5,10,15 multi it doesn’t matter. Turned cell phone off that doesn’t help at all. Getting frustrating to say the least. I lowered sensitivity down to 16 still noisy. Any lower than that no use even using it. When I use my etrac in same yard in auto +3 sensitivity will go all the way to 28-29 and run quiet and smooth. So what is going on? Any help? And this is just one yard it is everywhere I try it.

I don’t have one Terry but I’ll ask if it’s happening even sitting still? I’m curious as to what it is because my CTX lately has been just wild. I’ve cleaned everything,checked it all,changed out coils...only certain areas can I get it to run stable unless like you said I lower the sens to the point of going home. Like you probably are,if I’m listening for brief,faint or short duration signals it does no good to have the machine just sporadically making noise. I’ll be watching for a solution to this if there is something I’m overlooking...

Try 5 things:

1. Do a FR
2. Use those velcro strips and tighten the coil cable
3. Reduce Sensitivity
4. Select a single frequency
5. Do a Noise Cancel procedure - hold the detector about waist high with the coil extended away from you and with the coil parallel to the ground.

If none of that works, turn it off and do it again.

If that doesn't help, move away to a different spot.

If that doesn't work, call Jaime @ MinelabUSA

How much EMI is there in the areas where you are hunting. Air Conditioning units drive my machines crazy. Had one yard that I could not detect due to the emi from the ac unit.

GeorgeinSC said:
How much EMI is there in the areas where you are hunting. Air Conditioning units drive my machines crazy. Had one yard that I could not detect due to the emi from the ac unit.

Now THAT would make sense! A lot of current flowing, along with the units themselves and electronic noise that they emit...great point George. I hadn’t put that together.

GeorgeinSC said:
this is insane. It is summer out, every house and building is going to have AC units running. This machine might be best suited to just fields if it is that sensitive

He already said his Etrac was running quiet & smooth in the same area /conditions.------SOMETHING is wrong with that Equinox (or coil).

I have found the Nox to be unsuitable in areas on my beaches . The machine wont run stable in many areas due to EMI from Clubs and Pubs along the beach front , also i have found that when there are lots of people lower down the beach i get the same problem at times . I think its Mobile phones , my machine keep unpairing from the Module and the speaker cuts in .
The machine is not always like it but its always in the same places and same circumstances .
My other machines get a bit of disturbance because of the Clubs but all cope well .

But saying all that when the Nox works quietly it works well . 1 Gold ring , 14 Silver rings , 1 Silver Bangle , 1 Silver Chain , 2 other Silver items and £220.40p in UK coinage and a few Foreign coins so far .

Couldnt get within 25 feet of the boardwalk. Had to drop the sensitivity down to 14 to get it semi-quiet.
I finally had to walk towards the ocean and get away from all the chatter.

Was not a happy hunter yesterday...

The latest technology taking a step backwards !!!

This machine still hasn't impressed me as being anything super special.

Maybe time to get my Sovereign out of retirement !!!

Good Luck !!!

Donna(nj)

Donna(NJ said:
Couldnt get within 25 feet of the boardwalk. Had to drop the sensitivity down to 14 to get it semi-quiet.

Good Luck !!!

Donna(nj)

Its why i use my Terra 705 on the dry near the noisy areas and then swap over to the Nox lower down . I use the Carbon Fibre Anderson shaft .
Failing that my ET can come back into play.

Forgetting to turn the pinpoint OFF after using it can cause some frustration the first time you do not turn it OFF after each use.
The Equinox is my first detector that did not have a push button and hold for pinpointing. I love this push-on, push-off operation, especially when I have long gauntlet gloves on and any push and hold operation is difficult at best. I rarely use turn-on turn-off the p-p on the Excalibur while detecting the ocean bottoms. It take more time to use the p-p mode than just to dig the target.

Donna(NJ said:

Good Luck !!!

Donna(nj)

Did you try different modes or different single frequencies?

Strange I’ve also experienced one area of Beach machine goes crazy
It’s behind a particular Hotle out to 300 yards or more
I’ve had luck going down to 18 on sensitivity but dose frustrate when it happens
Been to that Beach 3 Times and dose it every time
Otherwise machine runs great
Last time worked away from the hotel and came back by it 3 hrs later and didn’t have to lower sensitivity
So must be something they are using
One Thing I wonder is if Bluetooth (Headphones to Machine) could be picking up interference, just a Thought
Will be putting on waterproof headphones soon and will know
HH Ron

Your cell phone put in airplane mode

I have an app on my cell phone that reads all the WIFI signals and measures their strength. Something like that might be helpful to see how much pollution is in a given area.

Goes4ever said:
Ok, my equinox seems overly chatty at every single site I take it too lately. Was quiet in the fields but now I’m hunting yards it is super noisy. I noise cancel over and over. I change frequency to 5,10,15 multi it doesn’t matter. Turned cell phone off that doesn’t help at all. Getting frustrating to say the least. I lowered sensitivity down to 16 still noisy. Any lower than that no use even using it. When I use my etrac in same yard in auto +3 sensitivity will go all the way to 28-29 and run quiet and smooth. So what is going on? Any help? And this is just one yard it is everywhere I try it.

Hello,

If you would like us to take a look at it, you can always contact us at service@minelabamericas.com or 877-767-6522.

MLA Jamie

Try this: Noise cancel and then if still noisy use the + or - button and go up or down in the numbers and if it seems even the tiniest bit quieter then noise cancel again right there. I have had to do that 2 or 3 times on a spot but it seems to work. Dont jack with the sensitivity, just go up or down in the numbers. I also had one situation where there was a very audible constant 'warble'. I did the noise cancel twice or more, then did the up and down numbers and it finally realized it was having a brain issue and settled down.

Mkus said:
Your cell phone put in airplane mode
I tried that, I also turned it off completely, and even left phone in car....no difference

if WIFI affects it that much the equinox is about worthless in a city. That explains why it worked so smooth in the fields in country with no wifi around.