Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox is super chatty!!! Help

jas415 said:
Try this: Noise cancel and then if still noisy use the + or - button and go up or down in the numbers and if it seems even the tiniest bit quieter then noise cancel again right there. I have had to do that 2 or 3 times on a spot but it seems to work. Dont jack with the sensitivity, just go up or down in the numbers. I also had one situation where there was a very audible constant 'warble'. I did the noise cancel twice or more, then did the up and down numbers and it finally realized it was having a brain issue and settled down.
I have the nox 600 so this option is not available to me

I did a factory reset and it did seem to help in my yard. I live in the country though, so the real test will be when I take it to town where everyone has WIFI and other electrical devices running. I did notice it gets erratic when I get about 10 ft from my house, not sure if my WIFI is affecting it or something else.

Sometimes when I click on all metal to confirm a target my Nox goes crazy for awhile until I cycle thru PP and then back to the mode I was hunting in.

sold my AT Pro and bought Equinox 800. First week it was real chatty. I was so busy with all the new features I forgot the basics.

before every new hunt location I....

1. ground balance
2. noise cancel
3. set my sensitivity according to the area

I now do these three steps every time i move to a new location or change from field1 to say park2, etc I also do these steps. I guess with the AT Pro I got sloppy, but the equinox are high gain multi-frequency detectors and you really have to know how to use them to get them to really perform. This is way there are so many conflicting reports on forums and youtube. Pros and experienced minelab users tend to know how to use high performance detectors and guys like me coming from the oh so comfortable AT Pro are in for a shock. The pros praise it and some of the rest of us complain due to what I feel is a lack of understanding on how to get the most of the machine. I am working hard every day re-training my self on the 800 and indeed on some of the metal detecting fundamentals.

My 800 is now quiet in terms of chatter and I can clearly hear junk and good targets. If you want to understand the 800 better get Clive James Clynick's book - The Minelab Equinox Series - From Beginner to Advanced. I have read it and re-reading many parts to get a full understanding of what he is telling us about using the 800 and 600.

Sounds abnormal. But I have run into two sites where the Nox just could not deal with the EMI. Usually, though, the Nox is better behaved than my Etrac around EMI.

How did it work out?
Curious if you find that 5 khz has the most emi noise.
Mine has similar issues. Best to compare with another one - which I havent done yet.

bklein said:
How did it work out?
Curious if you find that 5 khz has the most emi noise.
Mine has similar issues. Best to compare with another one - which I havent done yet.
a factory reset pretty much fixed it, and yes 5khz gives the most emi, I find in a lot of places 15khz runs the quietest

I have had the same issues with the Equinox and have tried everything to quiet it down. It was so bad that I had to set the sensitivity at 5 to quiet it down. Ground balance, noise cancel, factory Preset, going up and down through all the noise cancel numbers manually did not change the situation. The only thing that I could do that did fix the issues was recharge the battery even thought it was only down one bar. After recharging the battery the Nox became it's normal self again, if all else fails recharge the battery. I suspect there is issues with battery and I that Minelab will be sending out a lot of batteries.

Good mercy is this problems with both 600 & 800 equinox?I was going to make a purchase of a 600 ,but after this will wait awhile:confused: