Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox No Repairs after Warranty Service Question....

The Mayor

While scrolling the Equinox forums and Face Book pages yesterday I saw a message from a Minelab Service Center that said that they will only be able to work on the Equinox while it is under warranty... After the warranty is up the factory service centers will not do repairs... In today's disposable world that is not now unusual. I have three Garmin Chartplotters that need minor repairs but Garmin will no longer work on them. It forces the user to buy a new machine. Has anyone else sen that message..?? I can't find it again...or even if that is true or not....

If that is true it's going to kill a LOT of Equinox sales.
The Mayor said:
While scrolling the Equinox forums and Face Book pages yesterday I saw a message from a Minelab Service Center that said that they will only be able to work on the Equinox while it is under warranty... After the warranty is up the factory service centers will not do repairs... In today's disposable world that is not now unusual. I have three Garmin Chartplotters that need minor repairs but Garmin will no longer work on them. It forces the user to buy a new machine. Has anyone else sen that message..?? I can't find it again...or even if that is true or not....

Well, maybe, just maybe, Minelab is going to allow parts to be sold to independent repair centers.

Awww come on..... I just dont believe that. When I get back from indy ill be making a call. I believe about half of what the net says. When it sounds to stupid to be true.... make a call if it affects a big price item you are about to buy.

I'm confident individual parts will be made available
for replacement, the main one being user interface
pod, so it will be a matter of price- if it's worth it to
buy and replace the pod, or just order a new one.

I was told that during the warranty period they will be swapping out the control head if there is a problem because of the way it is sealed. After that who knows

The Mayor said:

Minelab is required by federal law to provide service and parts 7 years after a product is released. The control housing is repairable, this is not a disposable detector. Sounds like another manufacturer spreading bullshite!!!

Just the facts ma'm, just the facts!!

Well 3 yrs aint long for $900 I dont care how many gold rings you find. Lets look at this.
The head is sealed. Inside is the main PCB, display, control board, & 3 connectors IIRC.
If any fail you have to break the case. The main PCB is all SMD's so probably not component
level repair. Between the complexity & the physical realities board level is a must.
So a repair will be a new housing plus the bad part. At that point they may as well just
supply the whole damn thing & do no internal repairs. Wont be cheap but as long as ML builds
EQ's plus at least 3 yrs it will be repairable.
As far as indies go forget it. You wont learn how to fix that board at a school. ML cant take time
to walk you through it.
The last problem is DISCO. Sometimes a supplier stops making a part & there is no sub. It
became a VERY big problem in the 90's with TV's etc. You could have top of line 35" TV
thats 3 yrs old & part is DISCO so set gets junked. One of the many reasons new stuff is throw away.

enuf fer now
HH
Tom
LFOD !

This is one I think Bill Stirling needs to address....thats huge to me.

dewcon4414 said:
This is one I think Bill Stirling needs to address....thats huge to me.
I called Minelab this morning, this is nonsense. The components inside the control housing are replaceable and warrantied for 3 years. Minelab is required to provide parts and service for 7 years after the release of a detector. This is another non issue. They do not dispose of the control housing in order to do a warranty repair. Parts and service will be available 4 or more years after the warranty expires.

Minelab supports their detectors for three years after the model is discontinued.

Give me a break!!! This stupid non service stuff is getting old... I agree with Dan, its probably another maufacturer spreading crap.....

Considering the new service center and the great service they are providing, I'd say 'fake news' and sandbagging are much more likely than a radical change of policy by one of the largest players in the business.

I was told.... the specific parts maybe limited after the warranty runs out. What does this mean? Not good to me. Resale maybe affected... but were we going to be told this?

dewcon4414 said:
I was told.... the specific parts maybe limited after the warranty runs out. What does this mean? Not good to me. Resale maybe affected... but were we going to be told this?
. Just out of curiosity, was that Minelab that told you that?

Modern stuff - glued together - surface mounted components - this ain’t Tom Swift stuff. If you get 5 years - you’ve had your run.

Ok to clear this up this is from a fellow named Dan Conger. He called Minelab and got clarification to put all this nonsense to rest:

“It seems there are rumors going around about the battery not being replaceable and that Minelab will not service The Equinox after the warranty expires. I called Minelab this morning, this is nonsense. The components inside the control housing are replaceable and warrantied for 3 years. Minelab is required to provide parts and service for 7 years after the release of a detector. This is another non issue. They do not dispose of the control housing in order to do a warranty repair. Parts and service will be available 4 or more years after the warranty expires. And as far as the battery issue goes, I took my battery out and took pictures of it. I call Minelab told them what I did, I did not void my warranty. These are rumors being spread by haters and probably other manufacturers.”

Now think about how stupid it would be to not support a product pastnits warranty? C’mon people don’t buy the fanboy BS!

lytle78 said:
Modern stuff - glued together - surface mounted components - this ain’t Tom Swift stuff. If you get 5 years - you’ve had your run.
. Run the machine for 2 and 1/2 years sell it, go buy another brand new one. That's my plan unless something better comes out :)

You've only made 7 posts in 11 years and coming up with a bogus Minelab story here on Findmall is the best the Mayor can do? :nono: TR would be ashamed of you. :poke: