Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox water hunters, must see

jayhop

For those that say the equinox doesn't leak, listen closely to how many he's had leak.
Plus he gives some good information. Did they help after the warranty? NO

As long as they replace them, no problem. I sold my 600 & 800 after the warranty ran out, and bough a new 600. I got 70% of my original purchase price on the old detectors.

I've had 2 leak, as a matter of fact, mine is on the way to the repair center as I speak. I was hunting in chest to shoulder deep water.

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_140644078_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210711_140644078_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 179
He is real positive on Minelab in general and the Nox specifically. I would agree with him. Most people in these forums use their detectors very regularly, (i.e. weekly) while most purchasers will use it for a few times then put it in the closet. Same with SCUBA gear, always easy to buy nearly new equipment that was used on one vacation and then never again.

Minelab is happy to replace the few units that go bad from us big users ( on on my 4th replacement part- 2 coils, 2 arm cuffs) in order to keep the positive reviews. I would guess they charge most back to the Chinese manufacturer as 'defective' which is standard in the industry.

He is real positive on Minelab in general and the Nox specifically. I would agree with him. Most people in these forums use their detectors very regularly, (i.e. weekly) while most purchasers will use it for a few times then put it in the closet. Same with SCUBA gear, always easy to buy nearly new equipment that was used on one vacation and then never again.

Minelab is happy to replace the few units that go bad from us big users ( on on my 4th replacement part- 2 coils, 2 arm cuffs) in order to keep the positive reviews. I would guess they charge most back to the Chinese manufacturer as 'defective' which is standard in the industry.
Yes he is, a little too positive in my opinion. No question it has the best technology at this time.
The problem is that Minelab hasn't done anything to correct the problems.
I'm not really well off financially but buying a metal detector that floods after the warranty runs out wouldn't be a financial disaster.
But there are those that a $950 investment is a big deal.
Minelab is selling the equinox as a waterproof machine. It should be, or they should make changes and replace flooded machines with a updated version.

Yes he is, a little too positive in my opinion. No question it has the best technology at this time.
I'm not really well off financially but buying a metal detector that floods after the warranty runs out wouldn't be a financial disaster.
Minelab is selling the equinox as a waterproof machine. It should be, or they should make changes and replace flooded machines with a updated version.
According to Minelab, it's a small percentage that have this issue. So let's use an example with admittedly made-up numbers: Let's say...5 thousand leaked. That sounds like a lot of leaking units and we would definitely hear about it all over the forums...as we are. However if the total sold was 1 million, that's only .5% with issues. Even 10k...that's 1% It comes down to numbers, I don't think most companies would worry too much about that small of a percentage and would ensure a good customer service experience and replace them free of charge...which is what Minelab does for the leaky Nox's. I don't know what the actual percentage of leaky units is, but Minelab rep I spoke to stated to me that it was indeed a small percentage of units. There are many others that have completely submerged theirs without any issues.

According to Minelab, it's a small percentage that have this issue. So let's use an example with admittedly made-up numbers: Let's say...5 thousand leaked. That sounds like a lot of leaking units and we would definitely hear about it all over the forums...as we are. However if the total sold was 1 million, that's only .5% with issues. Even 10k...that's 1% It comes down to numbers, I don't think most companies would worry too much about that small of a percentage and would ensure a good customer service experience and replace them free of charge...which is what Minelab does for the leaky Nox's. I don't know what the actual percentage of leaky units is, but Minelab rep I spoke to stated to me that it was indeed a small percentage of units. There are many others that have completely submerged theirs without any issues.
Because of this reasoning is why I posted the video.
Like I said, listed to what he says. The way I interpret what he's saying is that 100% of his units have leaked. He has had several replacements Because of leaking. I trust what the Gigmaster say. I've only met him once at Virginia Beach, but he is highly thought of.
This is my thought, it my be true that they only get a small percentage RETURNED because of leaking. But a very high percentage of equinox will leak if used very often under water. I believe it would be more rare to find one that wouldn't leak.
The Gigmaster, Gravediggermax and other have had their machines leak and shown it on video. 100% of the YouTubers I watch, that water hunt, have had at least 1 unit flood.
The reason they only get a small percentage returned is because only a small percentage of owners actually water hunt like these guys. Including myself, yes I water hunt but not like some. Most of the time my head is about water. And I really baby my machine.
I'm not posting this to be negative or argumentative, I just think the truth needs to be told so people will now what to expect if they water hunt.

I also expect a lot of others would like to use them in the water in addition to land hunting , but are hesitant due to hearing about leaking units.
I am in that group.
In fact early on, I was hesitant too even buy one because of this issue, but glad I did since it is a great all around performer in my opinion.

I also expect a lot of others would like to use them in the water in addition to land hunting , but are hesitant due to hearing about leaking units.
I am in that group.
In fact early on, I was hesitant too even buy one because of this issue, but glad I did since it is a great all around performer in my opinion.
Send it to me and I’ll pressure test the unit 🤭

For those that say the equinox doesn't leak, listen closely to how many he's had leak.
Plus he gives some good information. Did they help after the warranty? NO
After watching the video and re-reading your post, I finally put my machine under water today. No issues, thank God but warranty is out this week.
Has anyone used the silicone searcher like the video posted last week?
Tony

After watching the video and re-reading your post, I finally put my machine under water today. No issues, thank God but warranty is out this week.
Has anyone used the silicone searcher like the video posted last week?
Tony
I have done the same with my newest equinox and had no problems also, but...
I've watched several videos posted by true water hunters. Most machines didn't leak on the first hunt, although I have heard of that happening. It seems there is more that one way a equinox can leak. I believe that most machines won't leak when new, but will leak after several uses. This is just my theory based on what I've seen in the videos.
If I still own my machines after the warranty expires I will definitely seal them before doing anymore water hunting.

The problem is they're not rebuildable so the whole unit has to be replaced!
Mark

I'll let mine be in a drizzle or get the odd splash, but no way I'm dunking it. Same with my ctx.

I might do some serious water detecting, and if I do, I'll get the Excal.

I'll let mine be in a drizzle or get the odd splash, but no way I'm dunking it. Same with my ctx.

I might do some serious water detecting, and if I do, I'll get the Excal.
I had the Excalibur for years and had no problems with the control unit. The battery did leak but that was because I used it without the gasket. I'm pretty sure I received it without a gasket. But the warranty center that was in Florida at the time replaced the battery and gave me a new gasket.
That's a high quality machine. Just didn't like the way the modes operated.

They better figure it out because, when the Nokta multi comes out, it will take lots of the Equinox sales!…No doubt about it that Minelab is superior in its electronics but lacks in its construction.

They better figure it out because, when the Nokta multi comes out, it will take lots of the Equinox sales!…No doubt about it that Minelab is superior in its electronics but lacks in its construction.
I agree 100%