Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac and memorials

taltexan

Anyone having problems ID'ing memorial pennies? I have dug memorials with CO's from 34 to 45. Other coins are in the proper range with nickels at 13, dimes almost always 44 to 45, quarters at 46. Why the wide range on memorials? I though maybe depth but I have dug memorials from laying on top to 5" deep and still get number all over the place...Any ideas or is this something that is normal for the etrac? Thanks

I think that's normal. At least I see the same thing. Zincoln's are almost always under 40 (usually 3:geek:, but so are IH's sometimes. Some of the copper memorials 70's and 80's stuff I've hit and thought I was digging up a dime or quarter.

NebTrac

I am new to the E-Trac so have been recording numbers in a note pad on everything I have dug and spending extra time listening to sounds. Te Co numbers on memorials have ranged from 40 to 45; zinc pennies from 36 to 38; clad dimes 43 to 46; clad quarters at 46 and nickels at 13. As a side note I had a nickel laying on top of a clad quarter and the numbers were 9-41.

I think it is because of the corrosion on the zinc
I have not tryed it yet but if you can get a zinc tig welding rod and test that it would probably answer lots

Wish I could tell the difference between copper memorials and the other coins but I sure can't. Nothing bums be out more than to dig an an 8" coin hit and it's turns out to be a copper memorial. One day it took me about 10 minutes to dig a deep copper memorial out from under a large root. Makes you want to call it a day :rofl:

That's my point!!!!!!!! I would think a top of the line detector could tell you the difference between a copper penny and a dime.....Don't get me wrong I like the etrac but it is aggravating not to be able to tell a copper penny from a silver dime.

I might add that some of the past post said they can tell the difference between a silver dime and a copper penny. This is true some of the time but I get fooled about 50 % of the time with copper thinking I found a silver dime. I am sure the dirt, iron, and other settings have something to do with the sound but I miss that old explorer warble I used to get when hitting on the silver it was like a honeing device and I knew what was comming 9 out of 10 times. Now its a fifty fifty for me so I dont guess but then get the surprise.

One thing is for sure only one time did I think it a penny and find a dime...its mostly the other way around becase of so many pennies.

I have experienced the same frustrations with memorials and zincolns and wondered the same as above.
It got to the point I was calling my beloved etrac a penny magnet and not a silver magnet,
Boohoo
Better luck next time ..I hope!

taltexan said:
That's my point!!!!!!!! I would think a top of the line detector could tell you the difference between a copper penny and a dime.....Don't get me wrong I like the etrac but it is aggravating not to be able to tell a copper penny from a silver dime.

I hope the new E-Trac 2 could have that sorted out..or I hope so.

I have found that the memorials hit right around 44 conductive. The reading might jump a time or two to 45 but usually settles on or averages at 44. The zincolns if in reasonable condition, at 37 conductive. As the zincolns deteriorate this does change but mostly the ferrous number changes more than the conductive number. Most of the silver for me will occasionally drop to conductive 44 but mostly averages at 45 or 46. I did dig a Barber dime the other day though that I totally expected to be a memorial. I too wish there was a bit more spread between memorials and silver dimes.

Flambeaux said:
taltexan said:

I hope the new E-Trac 2 could have that sorted out..or I hope so.

I've been using my etrac now for almost four months. I think that the e-trac does a great job at telling the difference. Dimes, Co 45 and Copper Co 43-44. What more do you need?

Like one of the last posts said...an average of Co 44 = Copper and an average of Co 45 = Dime

the one thing I saw here that really caught my intereste was E-Trac 2. When is that coming out?

Well ....Flamebeaux.....I hunted yesterday and found 2 silver dimes both mercuries and they hit at CO 44 with a little higher pitch on tone. I dug several memorials that hit 44 to 45.. All these were from 3" to 5". I will say that these coins were found mixed with iron mostly nails. But in the past I have found the same CO numbers in fairly clean soil. You asked what more can I ask well I would like to be able to tell a copper penny from a silver dime like I said with the Etrac.....My sons both hunt with Whites DFX and V3I and they can tell copper from silver. I can find coins deeper but the # are a pain. Will keep the etrac but it seems like several others are in the same fix. Maybe the newer Etrac when it comes will be able to solve this.

for me it is dimes and pre 1982 copper pennies almost 99% of the time is a CO #44

silver dimes 45, except worn, smoother silver dimes which can be as low as 41-42

POST 1982 pennies zinc, can be all over but NORMALLY 37-38

wheats normally 40, 41, 42

indians 33, 34, 35, 36

90% of the time I can bet money on what I am digging, a zinc, memorial, wheat or indian...the etrac is THAT good

but this is another MAIN reason why numbers cannot be SOLEY relied on to decide to dig or not. If at an old site and you get anything that sounds good, gives a good repeating signal, has some depth......................JUST DIG IT!!!!!! :clap:

I love the E-Trac. Don't get me wrong. But with my Fisher CZ-3D, if you hit silver, it would scream at you. Without taking a quick reference card with you, I cant remember one number differences. I'm just saying its just different. I'm going to dig the hole with any good signal, so I guess its more of a mindset than a problem. If it beeps at you...dig it

taltexan said:
Well ....Flamebeaux.....I hunted yesterday and found 2 silver dimes both mercuries and they hit at CO 44 with a little higher pitch on tone. I dug several memorials that hit 44 to 45.. All these were from 3" to 5". I will say that these coins were found mixed with iron mostly nails. But in the past I have found the same CO numbers in fairly clean soil. You asked what more can I ask well I would like to be able to tell a copper penny from a silver dime like I said with the Etrac.....My sons both hunt with Whites DFX and V3I and they can tell copper from silver. I can find coins deeper but the # are a pain. Will keep the etrac but it seems like several others are in the same fix. Maybe the newer Etrac when it comes will be able to solve this.

I get the feeling that you are telling us your experiences that are exceptions and not the rule... Am I right that most of the time copper pennies are 44 for you and most of the time dimes are 45 for you?

Yes, once in a while the numbers will be reversed or will be off right?...Maybe 10% of the time but most of the time copper pennies have the right number (44) and dimes (45) have the right. number.

I would definitely feel your pain if dimes and copper pennies were off 50% of the time...yikes.

Guys, the point is pay attention to the sound. Pennies come in all over the place with numbers from low 20's to mid 40's, depending if they are zinc, corroded zinc, copper, or bronze, but they don't sound like a dime even when the numbers are the same. If you are in an area where old coins are possible dig all repeatable sounds. A week or three ago I dug a nice aluminum tax token because of the sound and where I was. Terry in San Diego

Yes Yes yes the sound and the number.....BUT....the sound is not that different either... I hunt mainly by sound and yeah yeah, dig any deep target, yeah yeah dig all the, whatever! I totally love My E trac and it really is a fantastic deep sniffer but I miss the definition between pennies dimes and silver dimes. It does not make the machine any less of a deep sniffer so keep your hats on as I am not in any way trying to dis her.
Its just that I really like to JAM it in my detecting buds faces BEFORE and after I dig a silver coin and I miss that. Some times I don't want to dig all the high tone high cursor pennies to be sure I got a silver dime or didn't miss one. I don't hardly use the numbers anyway except for some sites or when checking for silver among the pennies or cherry picking. It would be just that much better a machine if they could just get me a little more definition between the silver dime and copper pennies. I'm just sayin that it is hard to tell the difference with the E she just plain likes to clean it all up even when I don't want to.