Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac and memorials

Utah.....I started this thread to see if I was doing something wrong detecting with the etrac. But with all the replies I think it is just the nature of the BEAST...lol..I dug a reading today with CO 44 about 2" deep. I started digging away knowing it was a memorial. I had been digging others at that depth so I wasn't really careful about my digging style. Guess what popped up!!! yep a mercury dime and I scratched the face of the coin..... @#$ though I had a memorial for sure...With the Trac you just never know.....Also dug a Roosie and Washington. Good day.....Thanks for all the replies guys....appreciate the info...

taltexan said:
Utah.....I started this thread to see if I was doing something wrong detecting with the etrac. But with all the replies I think it is just the nature of the BEAST...lol..I dug a reading today with CO 44 about 2" deep. I started digging away knowing it was a memorial. I had been digging others at that depth so I wasn't really careful about my digging style. Guess what popped up!!! yep a mercury dime and I scratched the face of the coin..... @#$ though I had a memorial for sure...With the Trac you just never know.....Also dug a Roosie and Washington. Good day.....Thanks for all the replies guys....appreciate the info...

Ok, guys I gotta NOW agree with taltexan on this one. Today went out for two hours with this post dead center in my mind.

Right off I hit a nice Co 44 and said to myself, "I'd bet a million dollars that this is a copper memorial." Then....out pops at clad dime. This happened quite a few times during my hunt. I guess I never noticed it before because I love both here in Washington. Coppers at 44-43 could be wheat and hey, dimes are always good. YES, I must give to taltexan....the e-trac has an issue in the area. No biggie though.

It's a crap shoot for sure. But that makes for more excitement. Who wants to know exactly what they are digging 100 percent of the time. That would take away the thrill of anticipation..Good Hunting

Not to drag a dead cat around BUT the reason I would like to have a better indication it is a silver dime is exactly the EXCITEMENT of the hunt and dig. When I am onto a silver dime signal I love the anticipation of dialing in the signal and pinpointing dead on, digging careful and extra precise, Using my pinpoint to not scratch anything, and then when it is a silver its all the more fun seeing what I tricked up ( a 1972 Penney?). I miss all that part when I am not alerted that it might be silver and getting lured in by the penny signal over and over I get lazy digging copper Penney's and loose the excitement of the hunt. Sorry Flam but I don't have as much fun if I miss the anticipation.
Now hunting in the old west areas its different as I will dig anything and love the history and surprise of the whatsit. But when coin SHOOTING its the hunt, the chase, the anticipation and success...We paid allot for a great machine and You'd have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands but it would be one better if It would separate just a little bit better on the silver dime.
OH ya, I would love it if they figure a way to make it block all target signals that are at at some depth level for example: no signals on any targets that are 3 inches or less. That would be cool too. for my OLD park sites.

Just sayin ... that's my Christmas list, that and that tiny bikini for my wife.

I just got my E-Trac last fall and the ground was dry and hard and I could almost tell you what the coin was by its number before I even dug it. This spring I have dug nothing but memorials!!!!!:ranting: I have dug them as low as 12-23 and as high as 12-48. My only guess is that the ground is so wet that it is really conducting the signal. I have noticed that deeper memorials were showing up at lower numbers.

I was going to post this exact same response, Terry did it for me, his numbers are dead on with my experience. The coins can be just about called all the time. I hunt by ear and with the correct settings you can hear the difference with every coin right down the scale. It has to do with your variability setting and what filters you have running. Also to see what could very well and I might say, will skew the numbers, hit the quickmask button on an open screen and see what else is there. You WILL be surprised at the amount of stuff in the ground around the target.
Goes4ever said:
for me it is dimes and pre 1982 copper pennies almost 99% of the time is a CO #44

silver dimes 45, except worn, smoother silver dimes which can be as low as 41-42

POST 1982 pennies zinc, can be all over but NORMALLY 37-38

wheats normally 40, 41, 42

indians 33, 34, 35, 36

90% of the time I can bet money on what I am digging, a zinc, memorial, wheat or indian...the etrac is THAT good

but this is another MAIN reason why numbers cannot be SOLEY relied on to decide to dig or not. If at an old site and you get anything that sounds good, gives a good repeating signal, has some depth......................JUST DIG IT!!!!!! :clap: