Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ETrac finally gets me into the seated club!!!:crazy:

Tenspeed

I was home in Mississippi visiting my Dad this past weekend (he is nearly 90) and my wife gave me some hunting time that turned out rather productive for me and my ETrac. I was covering a large area that has been in use since the late 1800's and every trip home I chip away at it. I got permission to hunt this area a couple of years ago and it has been great hunting every time I go home.

The first sweep after ground balancing gave me a 1962 Rosie, so I was off to a promising start.

About an hour later I got a nice deep signal that I thought should be a dime (12-44/45 with a nice silver tone). I folded my large plug over at about 6 inches deep but the propointer still couldn't see it. I swept with the coil and it showed that the coin was still there (looking promising!). About this time someone rode by on a bike and asked what I was finding, I told him nothing special yet, but I thought I had something good here. Unfortunately he rode on. I dug a few inches deeper in the end of the hole where the ETrac showed it to be and then the propointer showed it to be in the side of the hole. I pulled out a large glob of this heavy clay with the signal in it and started wondering what it could be since it was ten inches deep.

When I split the clod I saw the beaded edge which guaranteed at least a barber dime (I pulled a 1903 O from this same area back in February). When I (carefully) removed enough clay to see the front, I realized it was a seated dime!!! :surprised: My first ever, and I had no one to share it with!! First I screamed, shouted, did a silver dance, and then took a picture (the one with the dirt on the dime). Then I immediately sent the picture to my circle of hunting buddies back in the Carolina's and called anyone I could.

Finally...a SEATED COIN!!!

I have pulled many silvers out (including a 11.5 inch 1892 O Barber dime and an 11 inch 1930 D SLQ), but hadn't really payed attention to sensitivity level during my previous hunts. My ETrac was running 27 to 29 most of the time unless I got into trashy areas which come from nearby construction. Most of the coins have been 7 to 8 inches deep at least (except for the new clad). The ETrac is a silver hound!! But of course, I am preaching to the choir in this forum.

I don't post a lot, but finding my first seated coin was worth posting! The seated was also my 105th silver coin for the year (I got 106 on Sunday which was another Rosie). Compared to the 31 silver coins I found last year, this year is like a dream!

Thanks for reading this long winded post.

I LOVE MY HOBBY!!

HH, Tenspeed

Great looking coin and awesome read! Thanks for taking us along and a HUGE Congratulations on your first Seated!!!! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

The 1891 O Seated Dime meshes well with the 1892 O Barber Dime I found two years ago in a nearby location.

Beautiful coin! sure looks pretty, congrats on that seated find, I am still waiting for mine.:clapping:

Thanks everybody for the nice comments! This is truly a great community of hobbyists we have here!

Seated coins are a rare and fantastic find - congrats on finding your first ! :beers: