Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac performing Great In Iron

Without getting to deep into the conversation the first thing I see that I disagree with is using the 11" stock coil in iron. You are defeating the purpose of ttf before you get started in my opinion. A stock coil in iron using ttf is a bad combination.
I've had a lot success in iron using ttf but not with a big coil.

It's like using that 110 program that I have seen on here , you would have to have perfect conditions for that to work every time. I know it's touted as a beginner's program but who in their right mind would sent someone hunting with that, beginners need to dig everything to learn ...Talk about missing good targets left & right... Use it to only be discouraged while looking for perfect numbers...

Without getting to deep into the conversation the first thing I see that I disagree with is using the 11" stock coil in iron. You are defeating the purpose of ttf before you get started in my opinion. A stock coil in iron using ttf is a bad combination.
I've had a lot success in iron using ttf but not with a big coil.

It's like using that 110 program that I have seen on here , you would have to have perfect conditions for that to work every time. I know it's touted as a beginner's program but who in their right mind would sent someone hunting with that, beginners need to dig everything to learn ...Talk about missing good targets left & right... Use it to only be discouraged while looking for perfect numbers...
Wow....I see you didn't like the 110....Nevertheless, I know that even the 15 x 12 sef coil is being used in iron with success, which is also wrong in most peoples minds.
A little outside the box thinking does produce coins.... and TTF still can't hit a coin touching an iron nail on a flat surface or at least my Etrac in TTF can't.
Happy hunting All... One program to help those who do not want to dig it all seems to bother some who do.

E L M Y

Wow....I see you didn't like the 110....Nevertheless, I know that even the 15 x 12 sef coil is being used in iron with success, which is also wrong in most peoples minds.
A little outside the box thinking does produce coins.... and TTF still can't hit a coin touching an iron nail on a flat surface or at least my Etrac in TTF can't.
Happy hunting All... One program to help those who do not want to dig it all seems to bother some who do.

I don't use the 110 because it makes no sense to me to mask the majority of the good targets. Ridiculous pattern for serious hunters .
Once again, I'm not a dig it all person but I have good sense to use a smaller coil when hunting in a lot of iron ( that's my little out of the box thinking) , here's a "hot tip" for you, using a smaller coil will up your chances in iron littered areas whether you are using TTF or conduct..

I don't use the 110 because it makes no sense to me to mask the majority of the good targets. Ridiculous pattern for serious hunters .
Once again, I'm not a dig it all person but I have good sense to use a smaller coil when hunting in a lot of iron ( that's my little out of the box thinking) , here's a "hot tip" for you, using a smaller coil will up your chances in iron littered areas whether you are using TTF or conduct..
No thanks....I will use what I like...you use what you like....Good Luck and happy hunting !
Thanks for the comments and your thoughts....
E L M Y

I’m going to enjoy learning about the Etrac’s capabilities along with him. Every good machine has positive characteristics that can help a thoughtful person apply to other good detectors. That’s why l try to learn all l can about detectors l don’t even have. Liam knows about coil sizes verses iron/trash. He just got the unit.

Regarding the "hot tip": I know the common blanket statement you always see in metal detecting books is to use smaller coils in junkier iron infested areas.
I have used larger coils in some of the junkiest, Iron infested sites and have pulled many more targets I know I wouldn't have pulled otherwise.
My approach at a previously hunted site no matter how junky is: What can I make the detector see that it hasn't saw before. If a detectorist can manage swinging through all the junk and iron,
often times a larger coil will boost the signal of a higher conductor target and those good signals will overpower and bleed through the neighboring iron/junk target. I have saw it time and time again.
Also, the larger coil footprint will 'change a detector's point of view' and will hit coins on edge or angled coins much harder.
Of course, smaller coils work very well also, but never discount the power and potential of a big coil at any junky or iron infested site.
Dave

Regarding the "hot tip": I know the common blanket statement you always see in metal detecting books is to use smaller coils in junkier iron infested areas.
I have used larger coils in some of the junkiest, Iron infested sites and have pulled many more targets I know I wouldn't have pulled otherwise.
My approach at a previously hunted site no matter how junky is: What can I make the detector see that it hasn't saw before. If a detectorist can manage swinging through all the junk and iron,
often times a larger coil will boost the signal of a higher conductor target and those good signals will overpower and bleed through the neighboring iron/junk target. I have saw it time and time again.
Also, the larger coil footprint will 'change a detector's point of view' and will hit coins on edge or angled coins much harder.
Of course, smaller coils work very well also, but never discount the power and potential of a big coil at any junky or iron infested site.
Dave
I'm no rocket scientist but common sense and sheer logic and experience would say that a bigger coil in trash would create more nulling (silent detector) and masking while running a pattern than a smaller coil ..

We could all argue that we have found stuff under the worst conditions possible, maybe swinging the coil at the right angle or coil speed and other variables and then we swear by em ... and then we dig another 100 holes to prove it "works" , if we can manage swinging through all the junk & iron...

I'm going to side with the manufacturers that developed the smaller coils for the purpose of working the trashy areas because I have had success with em using TTF in such places...

And Dave you have well documented your success so I consider you an exception to any rule.. finding the number of silvers that you do in pounded out public parks is unbelievable...

But at the end of the day we should all hunt in a manner that best suits us to understand what the detector is telling us...

I agree. Each combination of detector & coil "sees" a little differently. On a difficult site, a small difference can make all the difference.