Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac silver sound

Goldmanjace

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can tell the sound of a silver ring or a silver coin without looking at the display in multi tone/conduct? When i was hunting with my SE it was easy and I loved this feature. By turning the co scale the tone given is reflective to the conductivity (or size) of the object correct?? So what use is the multi tone really??? Or am I seeing something wrong??

Go to audio and scroll down to variability. This setting comes pre-set at 25. Use your right key pad and run the variability up to 30. Push the detect button. Now swing a silver coin under your coil. Should be that sweet silver sound you are used too. Or close. I had the same problem when I changed over from my Safari to the E-Trac. Try it I think you will like it. HH :minelab:

I agree. I have my variability turned up and silver just screams out to me. I can tell what it is.

Great question and even better answer.Thanks guys

I will give it a try. What about silver jewelry? Will ist do the same for that or does it depend on the size and shape of the object?

Thanks for asking this question. I'm going to have to try 30 on the variability.

I cant tell by the screen but you sure do "think" you can tell the difference in your ears once you hear it a few times. I think its more in your had than anything..... or is it??? lol

If you want to test yourself, pick a number of silver dimes and a number of clad dimes and copper memorials. Put each one in a blank envelope (or any way to hide the coin) and pass each one over the coil. Randomly pick a handfull of targets and scan them. Place the ones you think are silver in thier own pile as you scan. Then check your results and see how accurate you were.

changing the threshold tone to 19 just does one thing. It makes it sound like an SE. It still changed all the other tones to that same pitch. It sill makes it hard (at least for me) to distingish between silver and not silver. What I am trying to say, maybe I was not able to make it come across correctly, is that the SE had a distinc silver sound. When you heard that tone it was silver and that all it could be. The sound on the etrac is give by the co value. So noone can tell me they can hear the difference between 12/42 silver dime and 12/42 clad quarter for instance. If the numbers are the same, the sound will be the same.

I have heard high pitched tones on my E-trac when the numbers indicated something else and dug good targets.

hershey1 said:
Go to audio and scroll down to variability. This setting comes pre-set at 25. Use your right key pad and run the variability up to 30. Push the detect button. Now swing a silver coin under your coil. Should be that sweet silver sound you are used too. Or close. I had the same problem when I changed over from my Safari to the E-Trac. Try it I think you will like it. HH :minelab:

I like my variability at 29 but that is a real screamer for silver in the 29-30 range.

Goldmanjace said:
changing the threshold tone to 19 just does one thing. It makes it sound like an SE. It still changed all the other tones to that same pitch. It sill makes it hard (at least for me) to distinguish between silver and not silver. What I am trying to say, maybe I was not able to make it come across correctly, is that the SE had a distinct silver sound. When you heard that tone it was silver and that all it could be. The sound on the etrac is give by the co value. So no one can tell me they can hear the difference between 12/42 silver dime and 12/42 clad quarter for instance. If the numbers are the same, the sound will be the same.

I tend to agree
There is an enthusiastic response to Quarters and Dimes Silver or no Silver
The only way to "guess" correctly is the sound and the cursor and sometimes that does not work either:nopity:

Also many deeper clad dimes and quarters and occasional copper pennies are mistakenly "called" silver by even the most experienced Explorer users just like E-Trac users.Been there and seen/done it to many times :)

Ray-Mo. said:
Also many deeper clad dimes and quarters and occasional copper pennies are mistakenly "called" silver by even the most experienced Explorer users just like E-Trac users.Been there and seen/done it to many times :)

I had this experience yesterday: dug many copper pennies that, by the sound, seemed to be silver. Maybe after I start finding some silver coins I'll be able to tell the difference in tone.

jgo said:
Ray-Mo. said:

I had this experience yesterday: dug many copper pennies that, by the sound, seemed to be silver. Maybe after I start finding some silver coins I'll be able to tell the difference in tone.
I think your absolutely right on there,,,, until you hear a good silver hit your ears don't know what to expect,,, get a silver dime and train your ears to the music !!!