Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac VS 3030

jimzilla

Ok this is not a post on which machine is better but I was out detecting the other day with a buddy of mine when I got a nice 12-42, 12-43 signal @ 8" down. I asked him to come over and check it for me as we usually compare targets. When he came over, he barely got it in the limited disc pattern he was using, but when he switched to clear screen he was getting an "iffy" 1-40,1-41 signal. Well I knew this was going to be silver since the wheaties come in at 12-36 up to 12-41 so after I was down 8", out pops a 1917 Merc in awesome shape. Could the CTX go deeper than the Etrac....I say yes

I have'nt noticed much of a depth difference but the CTX sure ID's much better on deep targets than the E-Trac. Iffy targets is where the CTX really shows its muscle over the E-Trac. Also as good of a relic machine the E-Trac is in my ground the CTX is a beast. I think this fall when more people hit the woods with their CTX's we are going to see some really great finds. I think Minelab has given us a machine that is not an E-Trac but just a good all around detector and will find anything you are looking for. HH :minelab:

Nice job Jim!

I don't believe it is any deeper. I suspect there was something else in the hole throwing off the signal. The recovery speed and FBS 2 of the CTX is probably the culprit.

Either way! Congrats! :thumbup:

I'm not the friend jimzilla is referring to, but I hunted a park with him yesterday with MY E-trac. He beat the tar out of me! He found a Barber dime, two Mercs, two war nickels, two silver rings and a whole lotta wheaties. Me?... not one silver! We were hunting the same ground (some of his finds were on territory I had just covered). While he has more experience metal detecting than I do, I know that his CTX is a MAJOR reason he consistently does better.

That said, I still love my E-Trac and most times it still amazes me, but until I can afford a 3030 [I just can't swing it now (pun intended)], I'm going to tell myself after leaving the park, "I'll see you again when I have a Minelab CTX 3030!"

MickTwin:usmc:

Micktwin...im younger than you that's all!!! Doug...I was running Auto at 27. He was in manual 26 or 28 I believe. The key to the CTX is the accuaracy of IDing targets. Depth doesnt mean anything if you are unsure about digging the target.

Auto 27, wow.... I barely ever see mine make it out of the teens and they are usually the low teens

I had 28-29 on AUTO+3 nearly all the time last Sunday in Bacton Rally (UK). That was the highest numbers I've ever seen on AUTO+3. I got CTX3030

Again wow.... Jim and anyone else is in my, area what are you seeing up here in Dutchess county for Auto Sensitivity #'s?

Gary, I am seeing my highest numbers being 20-24 in AUTO +3 up here in Dutchess. I was in Brooklyn at the time with the 27 reading in clay soil.

What a difference..... Thanks Jim

I second the 20-24 in auto here in Dutchess. But there was that one time that I was comparing to the Etrac and when he was around I think 18 in auto, I was around 28 in same ground. It changes so often that you would have to constantly watch the numbers. You are probably getting higher numbers at times too Gary, just did not happen to look at the time.

In my somewhat iron mineralized ground, auto +3 is often at 24 to 27. I actually saw it running at 31 for a few seconds, seriously. When auto +3 drops below 25 or so, I usually put it in manual as that is where the apparent boost mode is (like on the E-Trac) and depth can be lost there.

Albert

Here's my question

When I had my Etrac , here's what I did.

I used the Goes4ever Settings

sensitivity auto +3
threshold limit just barely audible
volume limit 29
volume gain 29
response normal
tone id multi
sounds conductive
variability 29
limits 29
threshold pitch 28-29 makes silver scream out
deep off
fast on
trash high
ground difficult

With the CTX, I get confused with, GC vs Ferrous Coin vs 50 CO

I used Evan's FC with open screen and Auto + 3 but it seemed to drive me mad with falsing and digging lots of iron.

I find myself walking away from sites second guessing if I should have used either GC or Ferrous coin or 50 Co......

I agree, and have a theory as to why.......
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1714189,1714217#msg-1714217

And from comments I made in May.....http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1698567,1698622#msg-1698622
I found the CTX 3030 has the edge over the E-TRAC on raw depth. Not a lot. But enough to make that determination through direct comparison. I don't know if can be attributed to the smart coil, the upgraded processor or the software running it. I simply don't know enough about the "secret workings" to even make a guess. But in the sites I put them "head to head", I found targets the E-TRAC could not locate, separate or identify with the accuracy of the CTX 3030. Some due to depth. Most due to separation and display information

I had my CTX on some warmer ground today, the warmest thus far. My CTX was running in 27 auto. Red clay, F75se fisher ground balanced at 60/61 and the iron meter stayed on .03 range and EMI was abundant. Had etrac along with x-5 sunray coil attached, it would not track in auto above 23.

The CTX is clearly ahead not only because of the "Smart Coils" but also simply because of the "Target Trace".

This way you can identify targets even if they are deeper, Things with weak signals, that you would never dig with the E-Trac.

The CTX is actually the best thing on the "non military" market (for non Gold prospecting).

The only disadvantage is the weight and the size (and - the price).
And ... you can't just make it small and put it in a bag easily.

Besides that no other machine can defeat the CTX.

Not in depth, and especially not in the target identification.

Look those other machines on deep targets.

They get a lot of quickly changing numbers on the display when the target is deep and in mineralized soil.
Only the CTX can give you a hint "what is really" down there.

fsdigital...I only hunt in clear screen with FC when there are many targets around. If the area is relatively clean, then I will use GC. I swear by GC when I can use it w/o too much nulling. GC tends to null more even in COMBINE mode due to a slower processer. Prior to the Etrac I had the Whites V3i which is a very noisy machine. So I can deal with lots of chatter from the CTX. Some people claim to get falsing but I think it could be not enough time with the machine. A coin signal will be a solid tone with a strong pinpoint. A false target or even a small BB will tend to be much smaller when pinpointing.