Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

excal coil bolt

arclyt

Frustrated with the plastic bolts stripping and was told that a stainless steel bolt could be used with no effect on the coil. Is this a true statement, sounds aliitle odd but thought i would research it

I wouldn't use a metal bolt. Go to the nearest hardware store and get a 1/4 inch nylon bolt with a wing nut and a couple of rubber washers. HH :minelab:

I tryed that once a metal bolt just to see what would happen on my Sov GT coil , needless to say it was not a good idea huge over load in my HP,s nylon is the only way to go . Jim

It does work on the Xcal with no problems.... in fact some came with a SS bolt. However..... what it can cause is a dead space in the coil. Jim thats odd it gave you an over load since it moves with the machine. I hunt with a guy that used one for 3 weeks before i got tired of looking at it and got him a nylon one.

Dew

if your stripping out the nylon bolts from trying to tighten it so tight to keep the coil from flapping, try drilling out the hole a little larger and using the bolts from an Explorer. The stock bolts are 1/4" and the explorer ones are 5/16"(pretty sure on those sizes). It does make a differnce and should cure the stripping.
I did this on a WOT, S12 and one of my 10X12s. I dont find it necessary on the smaller coils like an 8" size.

Let me tell you from my experience.... DONT keep tighten that bolt guys. Id suggest you get one of the Anderson lower rods or use a Whites. The ML lower rod is made of to soft of material and the washers only have 1/8 extended..... its to small when tighened. What happens as you tighen that bolt the ears wears as do the lower rod.... and you keep tighening it up to compensate. That pulls the ears of the coil in and WILL separate the bottom of the coil. Thats another reason NOT to use a SS bolt or anything larger.

Dew

I broke the nylon bolt on mine, but always carry a spare. I tried to use a metal bolt and it did not work.

Yesterday I went to Home Depot and grabbed a nylon nut and bolt a little larger for my 10" Tornado coil. I believe it was 5/16" and most importantly a COARSE thread instead of the fine thread the stock bolts always seem to come with. I was just using it today with zero problems. I think the whole cost of both was something like $1.75? I don't seem to have a problem with any coils smaller than that. I use the stock nylon nut and bolt on my 8" CoinSearch just fine. In the past, besides a larger nut and bolt (I believe they go up to 3/8") I've used those coil support brackets they have available. They work great for coils like the WOT especially in conjuction with the larger 3/8" nut and bolt. HH George

that can be installed to hold the coil in place so it doesn't flop around? This would eliminate having to tighten the bolt so much....thanks

IMO.... there is only a couple of ways to eliminate constantly tightening those bolts. Change the rod or use a coil bracket. As the lower head/coil ears wear away from rubbing and sand in them you are going to have to mod or change it. Buying those expensive rubbers and taking it apart EVERY time as ML requires aint the long term answer. Its not a bolt issue i dont believe.

Dew

John(Tx) said:
that can be installed to hold the coil in place so it doesn't flop around? This would eliminate having to tighten the bolt so much....thanks

yes John there is. the problem with the bracket is it creates resistance in the water when you swing your coil and over time will create its own wear spots on top of the coil where it rests.

the 10" coil already has enough drag as it is, been thinking about maybe replacing the 10" with the 8". My hunting partner developed a leak on his 10" and had Minelab replace it with the 8", he loves it. Thanks....

I just use my fingertips to snug the coil bolt and I have never had a problem.

And that is with coils of up to 15" diameter.

Do you know why?

It's because it's not the size of the bolt, (some of my machines have only a 10-32 screw),
it's the amount of "resistance to slippage", yes, that's right, "friction", between the faces,
(surfaces), contacting each other.

There are two answers.

One is "Anti-Grease"

It's used in the professional camera industry so that once one of those adjustable swivel ball
mounts is adjusted it doesn't slowly shift and slide out of adjustment.

That stuff is expensive and not so easy to find.

Answer number two is "Rosin".

Yes Rosin, makes sense now that I say it doesn't it?

It's use is always the same, to stop things from slipping.

Wither it's used by a boxer, a violinist, a gymnast, or a gun smith.

You can stop by any music store and ask for "Bow Rosin", that will be a little amber colored
block that you can scrape off or file off some powder.

Or buy a Rosin Bag, and use that.

Or go to the Brownell's catalog and buy some gun smith powdered rosin.

Works just like it has for waaaay over 100 years.

Sometimes guy,.......you just have to go "old school".

9244463988_a68cd9a6c3.jpg

9244464292_f739012bc3_m.jpg

9244464866_1057d45207.jpg

Ok guys?

So stop with the torque!

And stop risking cracking the ears and ruining a good coil.

Just create a non-slip condition between the faces contacting each other.

Problem solved,....... what else you got?

LOL