Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal Coil cable rot

toddbbq

My coil cable has started to rot and fall apart at the upper end. Can this be saved by silicone spray or something else to prevent it from going bad further down or is it a loss

If it’s cracking....game over. I having one done that was in great shape I thought. I conditioned it and let it set for a few months...went to put it on my wall and the cable was split.....ugh. This is the one thing that irritates me most about the machine.

It really helps to wash the detector in hot water after using it, I put mine in the shower and run hot shower on it for about 5 mins and let it drip dry. I also use McNitt Silicone spay about once to twice a month on the cables, it is a vegetable base silicone. Silicone is a natural UV inhibitor. I spray the cables only and let them dry, after about 10 mins I wipe off any excess.

I am just hoping to try and save the lower section of the 8" coil as I can splice it but as you stated it may be too late.

Ive had more than my share of those. I’d fix one spot and the lower would crack. Take a look under Mel Parker he’s done a lot of cable replacements. TH ..... we used to clean our weapons that way. I always used silicon or a lanalon product for jeeps. But that salt and sun is a killer on the casing.

I would be interested in the 8in if you're just scrapping it... sent you a pm... if you dont have private messaging here yet you can contact me at bootyhoundpa3@gmail.com.

Ï came across this and used it to cover a GP Extreme cable that was flaking apart. It is split lengthwise so you can protect a long length of coil cable. Not a waterproof solution but can come in handy.

I am planning to replace my Crack / Deteriorated Cable with a Marine Grade Shrink Wrap.

When I do this I will leave the center of the cable ( Natural ) and then shrink maybe 8 to 10 inches from the top and 8 to 10 inches from the Bottom

I had my Excalibur 8 inch Coil replaced about 2 years ago and now use the 10 inch coil, Its getting under 2 inches of additional depth

It was to Hot for me to detect in 2018 , but saved some History, It was about 10 inches deep under some tree limb's in Florida and took about 15 minutes to get it.

It fell out of some dunes that are about 15 feet tall . It was top side up and that help the Near Clear Top with some movement of the sand. I soaked it in Distilled Water for 2 months .I also found a 2 Cent Coin in the same area

goldnugget

Bill Lahr suggested to me a few days ago using heat shrink from Harbor Freight with Goop applied at the ends.
I have a surf D.F. coil coming with really bad cable. Don’t scrap your coil unless perhaps water trashed the insides.

I will have to check them out again

To see if it is longer than I bought a few years back

Looking something to hold up at the Beach

Thanks

pi coil splice, good reading

Good afternoon fellow detectors, I'M new to the site and just wanted to add my experience to this topic.
Not saying it works for everyone but has worked for me so far.

Pulled my CZ21 out of the closet after sitting way too long. In our closets we seem to have a heat problem, wife had couple
purses fall apart, my shoe glue came apart threw them away.

Anyway, found my wires to coil falling apart. The outer cover tearing exposing the other wires.
Being a do whatever i can kinda guy instead of replacing, decided to try black tape. went to Harbor Freight
bought a roll of black high temp. tape about 8 to 10 in rolls in the package for same price as one 3m.

started at the unit plug and tightly wrapped all the way to coil plug. then i took a can of spray liquid tape and sprayed entire wire.
I let it dry outside in the sun, then re taped one more time for good measure and applied another coat of liquid tape spray and let dry.

I then took it to the beach and turned it on, placed underwater and used it for several hours no problems. Washed it with clear water to get salt
off when i got home, did same on each hunt so far do not see any separation or air pockets working same as did when i first bought many years ago.

Not saying it works for every ones situation just works for me so far, maybe down the road i might need to replace but hopefully will find enough to purchase new one.

Good Hunting and Thanks, for letting me put my 2 cents in on the Topic.

South Padre Treasure.

bklein said:
Bill Lahr suggested to me a few days ago using heat shrink from Harbor Freight with Goop applied at the ends.
I have a surf D.F. coil coming with really bad cable. Don’t scrap your coil unless perhaps water trashed the insides.
If you look at my Post on January 15,2019 I had the same Problem.If anyone know a Great Outside Company that has Marine Grade Shrink wrap and the diameter of the shirk wrap that is needed Hit me up with Company and Size I have some from Harbor Freight but its to thin for me on my Old Sovereign XP Pro Coil / goldnuget