Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II phones cable cracking

Jed in NC

My headphone cable is beginning to crack right in the middle of the strain relief next to the control pod. Do you guys have a slick way to repair it? Heat shrink maybe? I just got the machine back from minelab and really don't want to have to send it off again this soon.

Thanks in advance

How Old is your Excal II?

Go to a marina and ask for liquid tape they use it on boats comes in a little bottle with a brush like touch up paint.
It applies real easy and you can make it cover any form once it dries it is waterproof etc.

good luck HH

If you just got your machine back I would call them and ask why it was sent back without being repaired. Minelab Customer Care # 1-877-767-6522. That does not sound right. The Technitions that worked on your machine will have his name on the repair order you recieved when you got your machine back. Ask for a pre-paid mailing label and send it back. My experience was just the opposite they repaired some things on mine I did'nt know about. Call them and let us know on the forum. I feel certain Minelab will do you right.

djbutch said:
Go to a marina and ask for liquid tape they use it on boats comes in a little bottle with a brush like touch up paint.
It applies real easy and you can make it cover any form once it dries it is waterproof etc.

good luck HH
Home Depot or Lowe's has it too & a H_____ of a lot cheaper than any marina

I dont like turning my detector in ..... but if it has a warranty, dont patch it.... make them do their job and stand by their warranty.

Dew

I would have to agree with Dew and Hershey on this one for sure. Although the "patches" out there might work for a short while, to make sure it is watertight for the long run is going to take a new cable. The cable will continue to crack in other places if you just patch it up. As it has been said other times here on the forum, Minelab has used some pretty low quality cables on some of their machines. Replacement is the only long term option and should be taken care of under warranty repairs by Minelab.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The machine is 3 yrs old and my warranty runs out at the end of the month. I may send it back in, but the turn-around time was about 25 business days last time.

Before you send it back, look it over very close for any other issues that may haunt you later...Good Luck

Jed in NC said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The machine is 3 yrs old and my warranty runs out at the end of the month. I may send it back in, but the turn-around time was about 25 business days last time.

Which is why all serious water hunters need a minimum of 2 and preferably 3-4 water machines so when one needs to be fixed you are still able to hunt

Thanks again for the advice guys. I've got a BHID 300 but it's a far cry from the Excal. Might have to pick up another Excal, or perhaps a Dual Field PI machine.