Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur II Preventive Maintanence????

robo

Hi
Just took possesion of a new Excalibur II. Heard stories of knobs coming off etc.. Anything I should do before I take it for its first spin to possibly head off future problems that may arise? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe I read in the past that if you are not sure of the water tight integrity of the control pod you could submerge it in fresh water with the unit turned OFF and if you are unfortunate and water gets into the control pod it can still be opened up, dried out and unit should still function but I really don't know for sure.... as far as the knobs go you might want to swing by radio shack and buy 2 or 3 of the set screw type so when they do come off you can replace them promptly... good luck...

oh ya.... always separate the upper and lower shafts after saltwater hunting and rinse entire unit thoroughly with fresh water so they don't seize together....

Planning to Hip mount, have a good cable restraint system in place, Good luck on the maiden voyage

I've seen knob 'blockers' (for lack of a better word) on ebay that keeps you from bumping them. Don't know if they work or not.

Don't drop it on the pavement.

Rinse it and keep it clean after use. A preserving spray on the cables doesn't hurt. Some use silicon spray, some use Armor All or other plastic and rubber preservative on the cables. There have been pictures posted in this forum of some coil cables that pretty much disintegrated over time as ultra-violet and salt worked to dry the cable sheath and crack it.

I have a knob guard on mine to keep me from whacking the knobs accidentally.

I think one of the things called a knob issue is not really a knob issue but is really one of turning the knob too far and breaking the stop on a potentiometer. Bigger diameter knobs make it easier to do that. The stock knobs may give way first and strip out the knob. That may be why people put set screw knobs on; but it is cheaper to replace a stripped stock knob than to repair the unit with the broken stop on the potentiometer. I have not had a problem with knobs or potentiometers. I turn them with a light touch and make sure I don't force them.

After a lot of use, the O-rings eventually wear. There are posts in either the Excalibur or Modifications forum that show how to take it all apart and replace the O-rings rather than sending it to the repair facility. With a brand new unit, I expect it will be a while before you would even need to think about doing that.

Treat it well and it will treat you well.

Good luck and I hope you find yourself quickly starting to pay for your new Excal with what your find with it.
Cheers,
tvr

Number one on my list would be to rinse your bat lead contacts--the pins in the Ikalite plug and the sockets on the actual cell. Use a toothbrush to be thorough and get under the rubber flange. If the salt stays on them they will turn green and start to give intermittent power--affecting the threshold and unit stability. Hard to tell that's the problem too.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

I've used them for ages, no problems. Always rinse it in fresh water. Be careful not to let the headphone cable get pulled (eg when you're digging a target) this the only thing you can really do to damage it. They are pretty bomb proof, so long as you rinse it every time, you will have no trouble, good luck post your finds :)

Any suggestions? Your kidding right? Seriously. Just bleeping take care of it. No hot cars in summer, or cold ones in winter. Spray with silicone spray once a week [don't argue with this]. Take coil cover off EVERY hunt and rinse with fresh water. DONT bleeping drop or bump it. DONT let anyone else touch it. At all, for any reason. If you know some one that can't help themselves from messing with stuff, don't tell them you own one. Again, just take care of it. No bumps, drops, digging with phones on and dropping it or laying it on the ground and stretching the ear much cord.

This is all basic common sense. I have had my unit since 2010. 2010! Not one bleeping problem. I hear people whining about cable cracking. Well, when you leave it in a car on a 100 degree day after you used it in salt water...guess what. Any rubber is going to crack. That isn't minelabs fault.

Knobs. Don't be a mongaloid and twist them in the wrong direction, or with any amount of force. EASY...think about what your doing. On or off, pinpoint or dis, EASY. You won't have problems. If you are hasty, quick and don't think about what your doing, you will try and over extend a knob and it will fail, before the hardware does as intended and send it out for a repair. A 300 dollar one at min.

Its all common sense. Like taking care of a car...10k one or a 150k one. They still need maintenance.

robo said:
Hi
Just took possesion of a new Excalibur II. Heard stories of knobs coming off etc.. Anything I should do before I take it for its first spin to possibly head off future problems that may arise? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

cjc said:
Number one on my list would be to rinse your bat lead contacts--the pins in the Ikalite plug and the sockets on the actual cell. Use a toothbrush to be thorough and get under the rubber flange. If the salt stays on them they will turn green and start to give intermittent power--affecting the threshold and unit stability. Hard to tell that's the problem too.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com
Great advice! I use Silglyde or Sylglide ( can't remember the spelling at the moment) 100% silicone grease generously on the contact pins in an effort to thwart corrosion and ensure good contact. I have several products that may be good incl divers silicone (scuba pro ), and die electric grease but the Silglyde is very inexpensive and made for this type of application. I will make sure I clean it up and inspect it for any sign of green crud, then reapply.

NO ONE has broken more parts than i have on an Xcal.....NO ONE. What ive learned:

Replace the lower rod with a whites and double washer from Plugger. The current one is to soft and 1/8" is not enough washer to prevent wear. If you dont go that route you need to inspect and change those rubber often.

That wear on the lower rod causes you to continually tighten the coil bolt..... if you do that you pull the ears in and can separate the bottom of the coil.

I use a small line on the headphones to prevent them from pulling. Also i zip time the cable to the end of the machine pod to keep that end from pulling. Recommend you let your headphones hang when not in use to stretch the cable gradually and reduce all the pulling if you have to set it down.

ML REQUIRES you to always use the skid plate, and the shaft, to enclude the lower on the coil, be removed and cleaned after every use.

Ive got a knob guard.... but broke several knobs just by over use. They are just made to break instead of the switch....and they do. About $40 to replace.

Remove the cable occasionally and really give it a good coating of either silicone or olive oil.

Ensure you use plumber silicone on the rubber in the battery cap.

I recommend using Loctite marine epoxy on at least the wear areas of the coil COVER to prevent cracking.

You need to remove the knobs occasionally as well to silicone the o rings.

Dew

dewcon said:
NO ONE has broken more parts than i have on an Xcal.....NO ONE.

I second that.....

My tip is make sure you send your warranty card in.............

OldBeechnut said:
dewcon said:
NO ONE has broken more parts than i have on an Xcal.....NO ONE.

I second that.....

My tip is make sure you send your warranty card in.............

I'd do what OldBeechnut says, and also keep your fingers crossed that you don't have to send it in for repair. You can pretty much bet that it won't come back quickly. Most Excal users that I know (myself included) have a backup unit of some type just in case.

As everyone stated. RINSE the machine. Do Not take a garden hose at full stream and hit the machine with it. You stand the chance of forcing water past the O rings into the machine. My Brother-In-Law has water in his battery pod from using a hard stream of water to clean his machine after use.