Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Experience with 24-44 ish targets?

Smooth23

I get a lot of these signals ringing about 24 44, 24 46, 22 44, etc. I've been told not to bother digging them, by one experienced etracer, but I want to hear others' opinions? These are mostly in iron littered areas.

On targets like this, listen to the sound. If it's smooth and repeatable and you can get it from multiple directions, it may be worth checking out. Sometimes you'll have a coin in the hole with some iron. Otherwise, if the signal is jumpy and irregular, it's probably an iron target. That's my experience.

By all means dig them to see what is causing those numbers, that is how you learn your detector and what it is telling you. The chances are it is iron but again, what was the depth of the target? I have found the numbers are pretty accurate up to 6 inches in my ground but after that the Fe#s seem to vary widely on depth and target orientation in the ground. The last couple of days I have been digging deep wheaties in the 8 to 9 inch range and I was getting 01,32, to 28,40 and everywhere in between on them. If in doubt, dig and learn.

yes i agree with larry it doesnt matter what people tell you it is so good to be at rest with your own decisions and the only way to do this is to know what the etrac is telling you so dig a few and then you can either think well that was a waste of time or be pleasantly surprised at the outcome like i was once when a dug up a medieval apostle spoon as it was on its end WHOOPEE thank goodness i dug it happy hunting

What ever machine you favor, always learn what the it's telling you. Dig until you're confident in your machine.

Yesterday i dug a 27-45 about 9" and it was half of a rusty nail..before I filled the hole in I pinpointed another signal and it was a 1937 mercury dime....beats me...

Last week end I was hunting a old farm yard and got a 27-46 , 33-47 signal. I checked the Quick Mask Mode and got a rock solid target box in the lower right hand corner (no bouncing around) normally I would walk away from that kind of signal but this one had the prettiest high pitched audio signal you ever heard. So I decided to check it out. I dug and dug and dug and finally after 20 minutes out pops a big old rusted bolt and nut.

I have many times had a quick mask reading showing two targets, one in the lower right hand corner and another in the coin area,Bouncing back and forth, when I see one of these I will dig every time as I have dug many nice coins and tokens like that, but from now on if I get a solid target box in the lower right hand corner I'll walk away. Just to much work for nothing besides I trust the E-trac in those situations especially now. Rick IL

I have many times had a quick mask reading showing two targets, one in the lower right hand corner and another in the coin area,Bouncing back and forth, when I see one of these I will dig every time as I have dug many nice coins and tokens like that, but from now on if I get a solid target box in the lower right hand corner I'll walk away. Just to much work for nothing besides I trust the E-trac in those situations especially now. Rick IL

really appreciate you more experienced guys sharing nuggets of info like that. i have used mine for a few weeks and it really helps shorten the learning curve. if you think about it, at a good spot, how many times is there multiple targets within range of the coil. the other day i was walking with my digger in my hand and it was setting the e-trac off. i still cant get over how sensitive the etrac can be. if theres multiple targets, the etrac is going to do its best to tell you what its seeing, if theres more than one target i think it will show some combination of targets. i always run in fast on for that reason. i know for a fact that a mercury dime buried in a hole with some iron wont always read 12-45. but the sound will definitely let you know something good is there. but the FE numbers will be very bouncy. on that target (its in my test garden) the numbers are bouncy but the consistency and repeatability of the tone is compelling.

All great advice here.

1. Consistency of signal comes first. Do you get it both ways? If no, then consider it iffy when running a disc'd pattern.
2. After you've dug a few of those iffy's, you'll see what you're machine is telling you.

Moisture does a lot to add iron falses. This time of the year, the places I've been hunting, then iron has been falsing a lot. Nails and such that false most always are down and out from where you pinpoint (when you finally locate them in the hole) - at least that's been my experience. Like Larry said, the best way to see what you're machine's trying to tell you is to dig a few. I generally do this to start out with...and yes you can get a nail to hit very consistent -even good numbers- one way. Usually at that point the 90

Good advice Neb, I do the same thing, flip into to TTF and see if I am getting a high tone mixed in with the iron, a lot of times you will hear the high tone and the grunt and you KNOW there is something non ferrous down there!

Very well said Troy..... and another lesson on detecting 101 in the 24-44 area is if the target does not pinpoint right under where you get your best audio, like off to the side by an inch or two, you can bet your beer money it will be a rusty nail, wire or other iron with a pointed end of some sorts. The eddy currents produced by the coil like to concentrate off of the pointed end of iron.

makes sense to me....ive dug a few iffy targets that the detector said were 4" deep, dug an 8" hole and just cant find a target. usually i give up. the detector says its right in the center of the hole, halfway down the hole. but it just isnt there.

Now this is a little different but has the high Co number. Just yesterday, I had a 26-13 26-12 and it repeated on 3 sides. I dug and it was a buffalo nickel. Then later in the day I had a 22-10 22-11 but it was repeating a lot. Dug and up comes a v-nickel. Hope that helps.

Lots of good advice... experiment and take notes... One thing I have found - don't look for reasons to talk yourself out of digging a target. You will be surprised.

Gonehunting said:
Now this is a little different but has the high Co number. Just yesterday, I had a 26-13 26-12 and it repeated on 3 sides. I dug and it was a buffalo nickel. Then later in the day I had a 22-10 22-11 but it was repeating a lot. Dug and up comes a v-nickel. Hope that helps.
I posted high Co numbers, I meant high FE.. Sorry for misinformation...