Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F5 hits silver

still looking 52

F5 hits silver, both the quarter and the dime are dated 1945. Found the quarter in this school yard where we never hunted before was running max disc with single tone and it was down about 3 inches. My brother and decided to go back in the local park where we've hunted 100 times before and try a new style of hunting, that's where the mercury dime was found. Hopefully this new style hunting will produce more silver in the future.

Congrats little brother,

Well I guess I need to tell about all the silver I found today.:shrug:

Ron in WV

Here is the picture of little brothers silver coins he found today.

Brother Ron in WV

Congrats on the silver!! :thumbup:

Congrats! I know you went home with a smile! Love silver in the hole...always looks so nice!

Are you going to share this "new style" of hunting once you are done with the test phase? Cause I'm all ears (or eyes!) and always open to try something new :spin:

diggindad

This new style hunting would be called ' CHIRPING' style hunting, I set the tones to 4 and move the coil in a smaller pattern maybe only a foot or so and then just listen for any slight high tone. The detector is constantly making a lot of low tones and medium tones since this area is full of pull tabs that are hiding the good targets, once you hear the slightest high tone you check it from all angles and then pinpoint the best you can. So far we have found silver both times we tried this method.

Here is a little more info to add to brother SL52's post above.

We can’t really take credit for the new style of hunting, that all goes to forum member Jim Tn. We started noticing that in his Today’s Hunt threads that he just about always has a couple of silvers to show. So started asking him a few questions and he came right back with the answers. Like settings coils used and along with that he was telling us how he was doing what he was doing.
So I thought I would do all that Jim had said and head to that same area of the park that my brother SL52 found that silver dime at and test it out and fill in any blank spots of how Jim hunts. I set the F75 up with the 5” coil, and settings were 0 disc, sensitivity @ 85, 3H tones and running some in DE and JE processors. I thought if I could find like 4 or 5 potential silvers I would say this works. Well that day I got 3 wheat pennies, 1 silver dime and 2 nickels form this hill side that hasn’t give up any silver in a couple of years. So for the blank areas I started hunting and listening for any sign of high tones and when I would get a hint of high tone, I would keep swing over the area and try to get a ID number when getting the high tone. So if I got an ID number that would flash up anywhere close to a coin ID number I would dig it. To help with the ID, I was PP the target and getting a depth reading off the machine, if it showed 6 or deeper that would tell me that I am in the silver zone.
Ron in WV

By George this works. I got home from the hospital a while ago (wife had surgery) and read this. After being in a hospital all day I jumped at the chance to try something I hadn't thought of myself to get my mind off the day. The front of my yard is loaded with iron trash from there having been at least two houses and other structures on the this little half acre lot. I hit about a five by ten rectangle and dug a clad quarter, a copper penny, and a wheat in an area that I have not found anything.

indy durtdigger said:
By George this works. I got home from the hospital a while ago (wife had surgery) and read this. After being in a hospital all day I jumped at the chance to try something I hadn't thought of myself to get my mind off the day. The front of my yard is loaded with iron trash from there having been at least two houses and other structures on the this little half acre lot. I hit about a five by ten rectangle and dug a clad quarter, a copper penny, and a wheat in an area that I have not found anything.

Nice to hear reports like yours, it helps my brother and I to know it isn't just a fluke, and it will never happen again.

Thanks for giving it a try and reporting back. Hope all is well with the little lady.

Ron in WV

F5 is a very underated unit but is a winner in the field once you learn its language...Indeed any day with silver or gold is a good day and congrats on your finds...

Glad to see that somewhat stealthy method is working for some of you. I'm sure the sen setting of 85 can be varied up or down some, but the keys for me in heavy trash and hard hit spots are the small coil, at least 3h tones, investigating all chirps, whimpers and tic's striving to get one to repeat more cleanly and then, just inching the coil along. I posted my results yesterday using this method and am pleased to mention I got 2 silver Rosies this morning from the same spot hunting the same way. Good luck all, where ever and how ever you hunt. HH jim tn.

WV62 said:
indy durtdigger said:

Nice to hear reports like yours, it helps my brother and I to know it isn't just a fluke, and it will never happen again.

Thanks for giving it a try and reporting back. Hope all is well with the little lady.

Ron in WV
Thank you sir. I just got back from the hospital with her and she is passed out in my recliner. Who would have ever thought that brain surgery where they put a shunt into the middle of ones brain with an adjustable valve and then tunneled under her skin all the way to her abdomen to attach said tube to her stomach would be an overnight stay in the hospital. It is storming here right now but once the wife is fully settled in and the weather calms down I have more yard to hit now:cool:

Thanks Indy for the feed back on your success with this style hunting, right now I'm in deep with a plumbing problem that has me and my brother(WV62) tied up so it might be a few days before we can get back out. This has opened up a whole new world for us, no more questions like where are we going to hunt today because all the areas we thought were hunted out are new hunts now. I'm especially excited about going back to this one area we found last fall and pulled 4 1/2 dollars and 5 quarters plus aboutc15 silver dimes from.

still looking 52 said:
Thanks Indy for the feed back on your success with this style hunting, right now I'm in deep with a plumbing problem that has me and my brother(WV62) tied up so it might be a few days before we can get back out. This has opened up a whole new world for us, no more questions like where are we going to hunt today because all the areas we thought were hunted out are new hunts now. I'm especially excited about going back to this one area we found last fall and pulled 4 1/2 dollars and 5 quarters plus aboutc15 silver dimes from.

Thank the two of you and the gent that shared this with you. I already have a mental list of places that are just like my front yard and may well be loaded with good stuff to hit once my wife doesn't need me to stay around the house to help her.

jim tn said:
Glad to see that somewhat stealthy method is working for some of you. I'm sure the sen setting of 85 can be varied up or down some, but the keys for me in heavy trash and hard hit spots are the small coil, at least 3h tones, investigating all chirps, whimpers and tic's striving to get one to repeat more cleanly and then, just inching the coil along. I posted my results yesterday using this method and am pleased to mention I got 2 silver Rosies this morning from the same spot hunting the same way. Good luck all, where ever and how ever you hunt. HH jim tn.

I was hoping you would join in on this thread, my brother and I are just getting into your style of hunting. Now my brother is running the F5 and he only has the one coil the 11" DD. But I am running a F75 and I have several coils. Just wondering what coils you have tried using this style of hunting, I know you like the little 5" and I was reading that you had some success with the 5x10. You may want to make mention of any other coils you have and how they did, but I am real interested in trying the 6.5" concentric that I got off you and how it does with this type of hunting.
My concern with any concentric coil is the signal may be wider than the DD coils, so it may not get the same separation in the trash.

Ron in WV

Good morning, Ron,

I always liked the 6 1/2 concentric, but for the manner of searching we are talking about here, it just doesn't have the target separation capabilities as does the 5". I do use a NEL Sharpshooter on my A T Pro (when it gets used) and it does a good job. My hunting buddy also has the Sharpshooter for his F 75, but he seems to prefer the 5". I do use the 5 x 10 dd quite often, but again, for heavy trash, hard hit spots, it is just not as laser like as the 5". It may be just my 5 x 10, but I feel my 11" has a tighter sweet spot then the 5 x 10.

Anyway, for this kind of hunting, I am sold on the 5" coil. I haven't had the 6 1/2 concentric for a while, so I will be interested to see what you think about it for this type of hunting. HH jim tn

Thanks Jim that is good information, I am with you on that 5x10 it air test pretty good but it seems a little odd when hunting with it. I didn't get a single coin with it on the day that brother found his silver, I changed to the 5" and had a coin within 30 minutes. Then the rain came and ended our day.

I have been doing a little more air testing on some of these coils I have to see which ones can be boosted with max detector settings. I did the little 6.5 concentric last night and its numbers didn't change for factory reset settings.

Now the new 6.5" DD Nel Snake was a little less than the 5" and 6.5" concentric air testing with the factory reset settings, but at max settings it boosted to about the same as the others.

Maybe the snake would be a good next try.

Ron in WV