Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F70 users! My Brother Gave me A Homework Assignment

MarkCZ

First!
I spent an evening doing air test, in the house! and everybody knows that air test depth measurements DO NOT CARRY OVER TO REAL IN THE EARTH DEPTH!! and were not trying to say it does.
But! for silver coins there isn't anything about DIRT that would make the detector have greater depth than AIR!.

Next,
I want this thread to be more than just depth, I've already discovered some things about my F70 that I didn't know and that I didn't see in the manual. So, I'm hoping that some other F70 users will do some confirmation testing to see if these things carry over to ALL F70's.

I may have been able to run higher settings in an environment with less EMI, I did shut down my computers and cut the power to my WIFI.

Okay, here is one thing I found in my testing,
I used DE mode,
I used the 11" DD coil.
Test target was a US Silver Dime.
I started out with the sensitivity @ 25 and a -5 threshold and repeated the test by moving up the threshold step by step and recorded depth at each.
-5 = 2.5"
-4 = 3.0"
-3 = 3.25"
-2 = 3.5"
-1 = 4.0"
0 = 4.75
To this point all is well, but the next step sort of stumps me (well surprised me), take a look!
+1 = 7.0" (WoW, almost like boost)

There is a couple of things other than just the big jump at the +1 threshold! First thing is that up to that point the detector didn't have modulated audio!, but as soon as I reached that point it had a really SWEET modulated audio. Anybody else know about this? (or does your F70 do that?)

Mark
-

Hitting a coin at 8" with high thresh but sense on...1.

There is a relationship between the sense and thresh for sure, I have tried this high thresh lower sense thing in my rough dirt at the local park and on targets I checked it seemed to be as deep as any of my other deepest settings but I rarely use that....I turn the sense as high as I can to areas without a ton of noise if only for peace of mind.

Using multi tones the sound starts changing at -1, skews into weird areas I don't like which might be that modulation you are talking about.
I prefer the more solid, sharp sounds in multi tone.
At 0 and past into positive numbers this weak sound really drives me nuts but using 1 monotone it really isn't noticeable all the way up the scale.

The deepest target I ever dug was at 15" with the sense and thresh maxed...could be it was the high thresh that did it but I never played with the settings on that one.

This is one of the advantages of using the F70...control over the thresh in disc.
Great things can happen with all sorts of settings and high disc does appear to have some pretty good unmasking properties too.
I have done his homework assignment out in the field, got a high mark and a silver star on the paper.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2346907,2346907#msg-2346907

Revier, this isn't my first detector that had an adjustable threshold, my coinstrike did as well, but it never had spot where the depth jumped that much.
As far as the modulated audio most of my detectors in recent times have had that, this is something I guess you get use to, but I like the far away sound (faint) when the target get farther away from the search coil.

Later on when I have more time I'll chime back in with another discovery I found in the + threshold range.

Mark

Gaining 2.25 inches with a tiny variance of 1 on the threshold control is uncanny. Did you try +2 and so on just to see how it would vary onward with positive threshold ?

Is the F70 the only detector to have threshold control in disc (compared to the F75 and T2) ?

I am kind of thinking the F5 has threshold control in disk, I done the same testing on a F5 a couple of years back. I sold that F5 to my brother Greg (Still Looking 52 forum name) and he is still using the same settings I gave him.

Ron in WV

This was a mistake...
"Great things can happen with all sorts of settings and high disc does appear to have some pretty good unmasking properties too."
I meant high thresh, not disc.

The F70 is a wonder and I have said that several times.
A ton of settings, many will accomplish the same goals with great success, others just make it all easier to notice the great targets in trash, iron or mineralization.
I keep trying different things, try to get good at using them and then file them away for future use in sites with different conditions.
You never know what will come in handy.

The f5 does have theshold adjustment in disc mode, this I know for sure. I usually run around -2 and that seems to compliment the disc settings for good coin hunting.

MarkCZ said:
First!
I spent an evening doing air test, in the house! and everybody knows that air test depth measurements DO NOT CARRY OVER TO REAL IN THE EARTH DEPTH!! and were not trying to say it does.
But! for silver coins there isn't anything about DIRT that would make the detector have greater depth than AIR!.

Next,
I want this thread to be more than just depth, I've already discovered some things about my F70 that I didn't know and that I didn't see in the manual. So, I'm hoping that some other F70 users will do some confirmation testing to see if these things carry over to ALL F70's.

I may have been able to run higher settings in an environment with less EMI, I did shut down my computers and cut the power to my WIFI.

Okay, here is one thing I found in my testing,
I used DE mode,
I used the 11" DD coil.
Test target was a US Silver Dime.
I started out with the sensitivity @ 25 and a -5 threshold and repeated the test by moving up the threshold step by step and recorded depth at each.
-5 = 2.5"
-4 = 3.0"
-3 = 3.25"
-2 = 3.5"
-1 = 4.0"
0 = 4.75
To this point all is well, but the next step sort of stumps me (well surprised me), take a look!
+1 = 7.0" (WoW, almost like boost)

There is a couple of things other than just the big jump at the +1 threshold! First thing is that up to that point the detector didn't have modulated audio!, but as soon as I reached that point it had a really SWEET modulated audio. Anybody else know about this? (or does your F70 do that?)

Mark
-
Hey Mark,
I did some airtests with my F70 not too long after I got it and from what I remember positive thresh settings were deeper up to a point like +3 and from there on up the returns were less and less. Lately I've been hunting almost exclusively in negative thresh, usually -1, but sometimes -2 and -3. This with sensitivity at 40-60 and sometimes even lower. I've hit copper cents at a measured 7" in dirt that ground balanced in the 60's. Threshold in DE mode is sort of mystical to me.

dfmike said:
Gaining 2.25 inches with a tiny variance of 1 on the threshold control is uncanny. Did you try +2 and so on just to see how it would vary onward with positive threshold ?

Is the F70 the only detector to have threshold control in disc (compared to the F75 and T2) ?

Yes, I went through the threshold from -9, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +9,
at +2 the depth went to 9.0" at the 25 sensitivity, and stalled out at 9.0" for the rest of the trip.

I have a chart that's about ready to post but I'm going to confirm a few things before I do.

Also at each threshold setting I stepped up the sensitivity at, 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 80, 85, 95, and 99. (or until interference took over)

Also I did all the test in 3 tones.

Mark

Okay, here is something else that I didn't expect. (didn't know)
After I was done I picked out the max depth box which was 10" at a threshold of +2 and a 55 sensitivity. The idea was to go back to a known point and switch the detector over to SL mode (the known boost mode) and when I did NOTHING in the depth department happened:shrug: I still got the 10" but I didn't gain anything.
Now, something else did happen and this is something I want to confirm, but the modulated audio flipped to Non Modulated audio. So, I'm thinking non of this is in the manual either, I was still in the positive threshold range which had modulated audio in the DE mode!

The next thing I plan on doing is to go back to the chart and pick out certain points of interest and repeat with the same settings except in SL mode and see what depth gains I get or loose.

Mark

Also try DP and monotone with DE at least.
Your results could be different and maybe even better.

I know the F5 has threshold control in disc. I wanted to know if the F70 is the only one to have it among the 13 kHz First Texas machines (T2, F70, F75).

Having threshold in disc is really practical at times.

Okay, I'm back after some SL mode testing and what it looks like at this point is that the boost that SL mode does plays out around a zero threshold setting.

I used the unfinished chart for a base to compare to with the SL setting and here is what I got. Also, the inch numbers directly under the depth column is the depth
results from the SL mode, the gain numbers represent a gain difference from the DE mode.

Mode________________Threshold____________Sensitivity_____________Dept
SL____________________-9__________________25___________________3" = 1" gain
SL____________________-9__________________75___________________6.5" = 2" gain
SL____________________-4__________________95___________________9.5" = 2" gain
SL____________________-3__________________75___________________8" = 2.5" gain
SL____________________-1__________________75___________________10" = 2.5" gain
SL_____________________0__________________65___________________8" = .25" gain

If I'm looking at this right it looks like boost plays out at a threshold of 0 or above.

REVIER said:
Also try DP and monotone with DE at least.
Your results could be different and maybe even better.

That's a good idea and what I can do is to just pick four or five key points on the chart and see if I can squeeze a little more out of the numbers.

Mark

NCtoad said:
Hey Mark,
I did some airtests with my F70 not too long after I got it and from what I remember positive thresh settings were deeper up to a point like +3 and from there on up the returns were less and less. Lately I've been hunting almost exclusively in negative thresh, usually -1, but sometimes -2 and -3. This with sensitivity at 40-60 and sometimes even lower. I've hit copper cents at a measured 7" in dirt that ground balanced in the 60's. Threshold in DE mode is sort of mystical to me.

From my testing so far and your results I'm thinking that for you a -3 threshold and a 60 sensitivity you should be able to go to SL mode and gain a near 2" more depth and still be out of the detector noise range.

Mark

dfmike said:

"dfmike" I found the below in the Teknetics T2 manual and its called "Hum Level" LoL! Seems they included it in the T2 but decided to give it another name.

T2 manualHUM LEVEL This is the same thing that some manufacturers call audio threshold. It is adjustable from -9 to +9. For maximum ability to hear the weakest signals said:

The green is where the detector was starting to have false responses, but not enough to be able to pick out the target response.

The red, is where the falsing got to bad t clearly pick out the target responses.

The random boxes that have the additional SL=XX number are point where I used the chart settings but switched to the SL mode.

Down the far left column for the threshold numbers we included the term Not Modulated and Modulated referring to "Modulated" and "Not Modulated" audio (not including the extra SL mode test)

Thanks Mark for all the info and interesting data.
As you said in the real world results can be different so a couple of experiences...

My deepest coins I ever dug so far were in good soil in Kansas but the site had some issues.
At the edge of a big park that always had horrendous EMI problems constantly and every time i hunted this area.
More thrumming, pulsing problems than any site I have ever bern to before or since.

Large DD, sense at 80, thresh at -1, DE speed, 4H tones, disc not sure but might have been about 6 but could have been as high as 22-23.
Lots of jumping around but the F70 still stopped over targets to give me indications something was there and those weren't false signals.
I got a pretty jumpy signal that ranged from the 50's to almost 80 over a large area about a foot square and the depth says 7-8".
With all that EMI causing jumping and the large area I usually would have passed this by but those range of numbers somewhat repeated as I ran the coil around the area and the kicker was the tone sounded great, solid and sharp here and there as I moved the coil around.
This got me to dig and I come to find out this was a coin spill that was 3 Indians and an old wheat, so the number range was correct, and most were at least 8" but at least two were deeper closer to 10".
Wish I would have bumped the thresh into the positive at the time but this was early on in my experimentation and didn't think to do that.
I thought this signal was some sort of junk at the time, anyway, how was I to know these were coins?

In that same park more in the middle away from all that EMI I dug my deepest target ever.
This one was in the red on your chart all the way to the corner so if you could set settings to this level I believe you would have found some shocking double digit numbers there.

Same big coil, disc in the low 20's, sense 99 and thresh at +9, 1F tones and in this spot these were relatively quiet.

Mark, I must mention again in areas with EMI the lower tone choices do seem to handle it better than the higher ones...1, 1F and 2F are more stable than multi tones or DP from all my experiences which is why I asked you to test in monotone.
It might not matter in your home doing this testing but in the field it just might.

Using these high settings I easily acquired a few targets deep, mostly tabs at 6-8" and then a small bell like off of a cat or dog collar at about 9"...then I got this one.
Sounded pretty solid, saw numbers go from the mid 20's with a jump or two to 40 but they repeated from all angles and I saw 23-26 numbers repeat more than any others.
When I hit the pinpointer I was shocked to see 13-14" numbers on the screen and they stayed there every time I came at this target from every angle.
I never dig this deep in public parks but this one I went after just to see if anything was actually down there that deep.

We all know that on this platform the audio goes deeper than the screen, it is like the audio is always in all metal but the screen in disc can't match it on the really deep stuff at the very end of the scanning field so it gives up and just goes blank.
I dug several beaver tail tabs at 10" before that usually have a high tone when that deep using the 10" elliptical concentric and a few had screen info but most had that blank screen
This I had never seen before, a target that deep with good audio and screen info so my curiosity was piqued.
I checked the signal with blown out maxed all metal and got the same numbers and good tone so I dug.
This wasn't a coin but a thumb ringer off of an old bicycle bell so a bit bigger but still there was something down there so I was thrilled.
I measured this one...every bit of 15" deep and to have screen info on this thing astounded me.
Checking it out of the ground this was a solid 23-25 signal so the screen info was fairly accurate even that deep.
I believe it was that maxed thresh and sense in disc that enabled me to see it and it easily matched the all metal depth.

Here is a post I wrote up in an F70 log I was putting all my experiences in 3 years ago and I will just copy and repost it here and it goes along quite well with your testing results although I never went past 0 on the thresh.
Wish I would have now because positive numbers could have been good data to gather but I was going by what sounded good to me as a diggable signal at the time.
This pertains to a real world target using low sense and playing with the thresh on a measured 5" dime I came across.
I mention the weird sound as thresh was pushed higher...that modulation that you seem to like but I don't because I prefer a more solid sounding tone which doesn't matter because as long as any settings work for us those are the correct ones.
On this one SL speed did matter.

Starting settings were bid DD coil, DE, 4 disc, -3 thresh, 4H tones and sense on 30 which fools that big DD coil into thinking it is a scalpel-like sniper coil.
I wanted to get an idea on how deep low sense could get me when using sense at low levels when hunting in trashy areas.

I titled this post...."19"...

--------------------

A Jr. College right near my house.
Been here a million times, took a ton of clad when I first came here but not a whole lot left, 3 gold rings from different areas so far too.
Just wanted to see if I cold still find clad I left behind in the past.
All settings were where I left them from the last hunt.
Disc was lowered to 4 because I still want to find the tiniest chains, everything else was left alone except thresh was lowered to -3, DE, sense at 30, 4H tones, notch always at 1.
Zip, zip, zip, found some coins pretty easily, a few pieces of trash, avoided most other trash that was jumpy and so on...a nice short but productive hunt.
These settings are excellent for shallow coin and jewelry hunting, I will probably keep them around but still not sure on the depth they will go.
Now I will get to that 19 thing.

Near the end of this hunt I came across a dime signal.
Solid 78, no jumpy numbers at all, solid tone and numbers from every direction, the depth reading said 5" deep and there was no trash or other signal near it.
This was the one.
I knew it was a dime with every fiber of my being, hoped for a silver ring but 99.9999% sure I had a dime under my coil.
I stopped and played with this awhile with every setting I could think of to figure out a little more about depth on low settings.

The sense was still on 30, I started lowering down the sense while swinging in short passes over this thing.
When I got down to about 23 it started breaking up a bit, at about 21 it became a signal I would not dig anymore.
Also something weird happened when I got to about 24 or 25 while it was still a solid signal I would dig, the high tone in 4H changed and became weird sounding.
Very weird sounding.
Still solid, still repeated, but it was not full sounding at all like half of the tonal qualities just went away.
Hard to explain but I didn't like it.
At that point I started adjusting the thresh and moved it from -3 to -2.
The tone got a bit louder but still sounded weird.
Then I went to 20 on the sense and I lost the signal completely.
It was gone.
I moved the thresh up one notch to -1 and it came back again, solid and repeating but still weird sounding.
Thresh back to -2 gone, up to -1 back...I did this several times.
No breaking up or iffy signal at any time during this, it was just like a wall went up at -2 and went down where I got a signal again at -1.
Strange.
I moved it up one more notch to 0 and it was a bit louder and I left it there.
Then I switched from DE to SL at this point and the signal came back, sounded clear and full, and everything was all right with the world again.
The 78 number stayed solid and stable throughout all of this except when the tone went away completely and then the number did too.
One more thing to do.
I lowered the sense one more number to 19 and the signal was still there in all its glory, one more move down to 18 and it was totally gone again.

Ok, lets take stock of what we have at this point.
Thresh on 0, 4H, SL, Sense at 19, Disc on 4, dead quiet, no falsing or extra noise at all and by scraping the coil on the ground I was picking up a for sure dig me dime at a supposedly 5".
Impressive!
Now these are the kind of things I need to know to give me confidence in hunting at really quiet settings at or even below the factory start up 60 and still feel I can find deeper coins at 7-8" or maybe a bit more if I had to.
Not sure I will ever do this but it is nice to know I could if needed.

At that point I picked up the coil 1" off the ground, swung and the signal was gone.
If this thing really was at 5" this was the limit in my ground at these settings.
I turned the sense back up to 30 and I could raise the coil another 2 inches or so and still get the signal solid.
That would be 7" on 30 sense.
I turned up the sense to 40 and I could raise the coil 2 more inches and still get that solid signal every time I passed the coil over it.
9" on 40 sense.
Up to 50 on the sense, two more inches on the coil upwards, 11" on 50 sense with 6" air and 5" in the ground and that was all I needed to know.
Talk about confidence building!

All that was left now was to dig the coin.
I opened a hole, dug down slowly, got to the coin which of course was a dime and I took out a small plastic 8" ruler I get free from my bank and stuck it in the hole and put it right where the dime was laying.
looking sideways across the top of the hole at the very edge of the grass where I was scraping my coil I saw the number 5 on the ruler.

Alrighty then...this is data that I can use to my advantage!

------------------

So in the real world higher thresh can help in not only unmasking good targets around iron and trash but in the area of depth under all kinds of circumstances.
It is not only there to mitigate chatter or to locate tiny targets but also for depth.
A million ways to set this thing up...I am trying my best to try every one I can think of and put it down somewhere until I can't lift my detector anymore.

MarkCZ said:
The green is where the detector was starting to have false responses, but not enough to be able to pick out the target response.

The red, is where the falsing got to bad t clearly pick out the target responses.

The random boxes that have the additional SL=XX number are point where I used the chart settings but switched to the SL mode.

Down the far left column for the threshold numbers we included the term Not Modulated and Modulated referring to "Modulated" and "Not Modulated" audio (not including the extra SL mode test)

Mark, thank you so much for doing this! That is a great chart!! I've suspected these results (mid level sense and mid level thresh for best depth) from the little bit of experimenting I did. I also noticed I got the best signals in my test garden with mid level settings. At the time and being a newbie I just figured higher sensitivity would lead to better depth. Now there may be certain soil conditions where higher sense will lead to deeper signals, but it does't seem to be the case in my soil where I'm ground balancing in the high 80's to low 90's. High sense (80 and above) seems to give a low level feedback in my headphones. Can I have permission to copy your chart and post it on the F70 user group over at FMDF?